Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Sep 1, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #7,126 of 8,192
Hello everyone,

Just like many of you, I am really enjoying my N6ii with the R01 module.
But I have to say the E02 one is pretty good good as well, depending on the headphones I use (Moondrop Aria or B&W P5, HiFiman Sundara).

I pretty much like the versatility of the R01 module as there are two inputs (3.5 and 4.4) instead of only the 4.4 one for the E02.
I like using the HiBy app having the ability to pilot the N6ii with my smartphone.
I would have liked to have the ability to change songs with my watch as well though, but I am limited to play/pause actions only (Wear OS).

Regarding the Neutron app: are there any specific audio hardware settings to pay attention to ?
What are the best ones ? Or maybe we just have to leave the defaults ones ?
Many thanks in advance for your help : without any manual, the Neutron app is pretty hard to master :)

Kind regards

Sep 1, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #7,127 of 8,192
Hello everyone,

Just like many of you, I am really enjoying my N6ii with the R01 module.
But I have to say the E02 one is pretty good good as well, depending on the headphones I use (Moondrop Aria or B&W P5, HiFiman Sundara).

I pretty much like the versatility of the R01 module as there are two inputs (3.5 and 4.4) instead of only the 4.4 one for the E02.
I like using the HiBy app having the ability to pilot the N6ii with my smartphone.
I would have liked to have the ability to change songs with my watch as well though, but I am limited to play/pause actions only (Wear OS).

Regarding the Neutron app: are there any specific audio hardware settings to pay attention to ?
What are the best ones ? Or maybe we just have to leave the defaults ones ?
Many thanks in advance for your help : without any manual, the Neutron app is pretty hard to master :)

Kind regards

I'm using the following settings:

PLAYBACK:
64-bit Processing=on
RESAMPLING=Quality (Audiophile uses too much processing power and drains the battery way too fast, but your milage may vary)

PROFILE:
Bit-perfect=on

AUDIO HARDWARE:
Dither=off (might be switched off automatically if you turn on above profile?)
Hardware Gain=on
DSD, DSD over PCM=on
Oversampling=0x
Ultrasonic Filter=on
Audio Focus=on
Follow Source Frequency=on (IMPORTANT for files with sampling rate > 44.1kHz)

Hardware DRV=SmartAudio (DAP)

Hope that helps.

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #7,128 of 8,192
I'm using the following settings:

PLAYBACK:
64-bit Processing=on
RESAMPLING=Quality (Audiophile uses too much processing power and drains the battery way too fast, but your milage may vary)

PROFILE:
Bit-perfect=on

AUDIO HARDWARE:
Dither=off (might be switched off automatically if you turn on above profile?)
Hardware Gain=on
DSD, DSD over PCM=on
Oversampling=0x
Ultrasonic Filter=on
Audio Focus=on
Follow Source Frequency=on (IMPORTANT for files with sampling rate > 44.1kHz)

Hardware DRV=SmartAudio (DAP)

Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot!
Yes, it definitely helps :)
I did not want to play with the settings and risk to harm either the dac or the headphones (if that is even possible).

Have a nice day !

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #7,129 of 8,192
Sep 2, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #7,130 of 8,192
Agreed. I've been on a R01 roll, but returned to A02/C9 this afternoon. Dang, it pairs so good with the ZMF VC. You're right: desktop sound in a pint size portion.

Don't hate on the Rick Springfield (darker than you might think):

Have you tried E02 with C9 compared to A02? Also, how is R01 with C9? Its just i'm interested in tubes and choosing between c9+sth or Shanling m30.
I had Cayin n6ii E01 version, great for iems, but as E01 has only 3.5 so, no tubes, well... I sold it before C9 appeared, which is promises 3.5 to tube possibility.
Also, ON A PAPER, Shanling m30 is LITERALLY Cayin n6 A02 + C9. It has the same DACs, same TUBEs, but as it was mentioned in C9 thread, some different tuning.
The only way to get better than M8 is by using the M30. The pairing of the C9 rely heavily upon the source, and by far, I have only found either a dedicated desktop DAC, or N6ii/A02 to be able to bring forth the performances that can be on par with M30. The other modules from N6ii that Has dedicated line out is probably E02, which I never tried.

The M8 + C9 is behind M30 ,that is due to the reason that the LO on the M8 isn’t dedicated line out, and Shanling has confirmed that it would be double amping. I found that the M8 double amping were great with some amps, and not with others. I think it is based on the impedances of the amplifier input and M8 output. I can only tell for sure is that the C9, for some reasons, can tell you which has a true line out and which has not. I tell by listening of course, the imaging will not be as definitive, the placements of instruments are confusing, and the timbres may not at all be Accurate (likely to have it own signatures).

The M30 has a very clean and high performances in the “Bypass Mode”, and until now, I don’t even know what it “bypass” exactly. But in this mode alone, it is like an M8 in all it glory plus powerful output and finesses of desktop setup, similar to N6/A02 + C9 Class AB and SS. The Transistors mode is like N6/A02 + C9 class A and tubes . The Tubes mode is a little more emphasized into the warmth, the slow transients, the liquidity, the reverberated ambients, it is different than C9 at any modes and sound much closer to classic tubes amps. At this point, it is safe to say that the Tube on M30 is very different than C9, one is classic and the other is modern hybrid....given that both of them are hybrid

Both systems deserves it own place in your arsenal. Each will have it own pros and cons, and You can’t go wrong with either one.... the only thing wrong is that A02nis no longer available *shrug*

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #7,133 of 8,192
Well - I found the Cayin N6ii with R01 to sound better than the A02 + Cayin C9 with all of my headphones (IE900 and LCD-4z). I am just shocked at how incredible this module is.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #7,134 of 8,192
Well - I found the Cayin N6ii with R01 to sound better than the A02 + Cayin C9 with all of my headphones (IE900 and LCD-4z). I am just shocked at how incredible this module is.
Can you please post some comparison impressions of Cayin N6ii with R01 vs A02 + Cayin C9?

Sep 4, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #7,137 of 8,192
So, my N6ii finally arrived, and I can safely say I'm very pleased with the sound quality and the OS overall.
My only issue (and is one I wasn't able to find many comments in this thread) is in regards to the Wi-Fi connection, seems like it's pretty weak when compared to my G7, a pretty old phone on itself. Is it expected, are my expectations in regards to the Wi-Fi a bit too high?

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #7,138 of 8,192
So, my N6ii finally arrived, and I can safely say I'm very pleased with the sound quality and the OS overall.
My only issue (and is one I wasn't able to find many comments in this thread) is in regards to the Wi-Fi connection, seems like it's pretty weak when compared to my G7, a pretty old phone on itself. Is it expected, are my expectations in regards to the Wi-Fi a bit too high?
Nope. WiFi is really terrible in N6ii.

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #7,139 of 8,192
I love my R01 and Cayin n6ii in general, but gosh how awful the HibyLink app developed for iOS. I’ve tried it on Samsung and it's a different app without lags, bugs, disconnects and so on...
Shame on Hiby iOS dev team

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #7,140 of 8,192
110 hours of burn in (without listening) and i do the test against N8 BAL again…
3D3BC4DC-3BAB-4599-A817-67356A1E4563.jpeg

What the heck!!!?
And i compare again…
And again…

what??…

Now the N6IIti it’s above the N8 BAL?

The N8 Balanced it’s more warm a bit more dynamic but sounds diffuse against the Ti…
The N6IIti sounds more natural, clear, almost equally dynamic, with similar soundstage and better instrument separation…the bass and the vocals are stellar and beautifully represented…

it’s better than the N8 balanced, at least with the Anole V14, i’ve never feel such a change after the burn in…it’s amazing…😮

to all the R01 users, keep your Motherboard at least untill the burn in is finished…👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back