Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jul 1, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #6,616 of 8,192
Remote Control Your Cayin N6ii for Local Music and TIDAL Playback
Motivated by a response on the UAPP thread from a few weeks ago, I have FINALLY accomplished something I've been trying to do for a year with my Cayin N6ii. When I'm not listening to it on the move, it acts as a digital transport for my headphones system playing FLAC files from a micro-SD card and stream TIDAL to my DAC --> headphone amp --> headphones.

My problem was that it is wired into my bedside headphones system using the I2S interface so it's awkward to reach over and play around with UAPP or the TIDAL app to choose new songs.

So, here's the problem:

Question: How do I remotely control my Cayin N6ii for playing local music stored on the N6ii and streaming TIDAL using my phone or tablet?

Answer:

Here's how I got this to work. It takes a few minutes of preparation and there's a small cost for apps that need to be purchased. Here's what you'll need:

On the Cayin N6ii:
  • UAPP installed (needs to be purchased from the Play Store)
  • HiBy Music app (or Cayin Music app) installed with access to your local music library on your micro-SD card - these apps are free and already installed on your Cayin N6ii

On your phone or tablet that will be the remote control:
  • iOS: mConnect Player (iPhone) or mConnect HD (iPad) - mConnect Player HD is just a widescreen version of mConnect - mConnect will be used to stream from TIDAL. These apps need to be purchased from the App Store
  • iOS: HiBy Music app - this will be used as a remote control for playing back music stored on the N6ii. This app is free on the App Store

• Android: BubbleUPnP - this will be used to Stream from TIDAL. This app needs to be purchased from the Play Store
  • Android: HiBy Music app - this will be used as a remote control for playing back music stored on the N6ii. This app is free on the Play Store

Setting up your Cayin N6ii for remote control:
  • In the UAPP app select Settings (three horizontal bars in the top-left) and then select Start UPnP renderer
  • In the HiBy Music app or Cayin Music app click on the 4th button on the top menu (the HiBy icon that is shaped like a swirled circle) and enable HiByLink Server

On your remote control device
TIDAL Playback

• iOS: Run mConnect and click on the Browser button at the bottom of the screen (third button from the left) and then select TIDAL. Log in to TIDAL and you will be able to browser TIDAL using mConnect. Then click the Play to button (the one on the right) and locate your Cayin N6ii under UPnP Devices and select it. This is where your music will be sent to.

• Android: Run BubbleUPnP and click on More (the three horizontal lines at the bottom left) and select TIDAL. Login in to TIDAL. You can now browse TIDAL and play songs. In the Now Playing screen there is a 'cast' icon to the right. Click on that and select UAPP Renderer. This is where you music will be sent to.

Local Song Library Playback
This is the same for iOS and Android. NOTE: You can only have one remote device connected (paired) to the HiBy Music app running on your Cayin N6ii.

Start the HiBy Music app. Click on the HiBy icon (swirled circle icon at the top and enable HiByLink Controller (Android) / HiBy Link (iOS). Now you can browse you local files on your Cayin N6ii and play them using your phone or tablet as a remote control. M3U playlist files are supported.

Option 2: Just use mConnect (iOS) or BubbleUPnP (Android) to control your Cayin N6ii running UAPP for both TIDAL and local music files. For this you won't need to use the HiBy Music app on your remote device or use it on your Cayin N6ii. You can just configure UAPP running on your Cayin N6ii to scan your local music files and to access your TIDAL account. I prefer using the HiBy Music app for local file playback as it looks nicer.

Someone might know of a better or easier way of doing this, but this is my first attempt at remotely controlling music playback from TIDAL and local files on my Cayin N6ii.

Credit to @Dannemand on the UAPP thread for getting me started on this approach.

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #6,617 of 8,192
Motivated by a response on the UAPP thread from a few weeks ago, I have FINALLY accomplished something I've been trying to do for a year with my Cayin N6ii. When I'm not listening to it on the move, it acts as a digital transport for my headphones system playing FLAC files from a micro-SD card and stream TIDAL to my DAC --> headphone amp --> headphones.

My problem was that it is wired into my bedside headphones system using the I2S interface so it's awkward to reach over and play around with UAPP or the TIDAL app to choose new songs.

So, here's the problem:

Question: How do I remotely control my Cayin N6ii for playing local music stored on the N6ii and streaming TIDAL using my phone or tablet?

Answer:

Here's how I got this to work. It takes a few minutes of preparation and there's a small cost for apps that need to be purchased. Here's what you'll need:

On the Cayin N6ii:
  • HiBy Music app (or Cayin Music app) installed with access to your local music library on your micro-SD card - these apps are free and already installed on your Cayin N6ii

• iOS: mConnect Player (iPhone) or mConnect HD (iPad) - mConnect Player HD is just a widescreen version of mConnect - mConnect will be used to stream from TIDAL. These apps need to be purchased from the App Store
  • iOS: HiBy Music app - this will be used as a remote control for playing back music stored on the N6ii. This app is free on the App Store

• Android: BubbleUPnP - this will be used to Stream from TIDAL. This app needs to be purchased from the Play Store
  • Android: HiBy Music app - this will be used as a remote control for playing back music stored on the N6ii. This app is free on the Play Store

• In the UAPP app select Settings (three horizontal bars in the top-left) and then select Start UPnP renderer
  • In the HiBy Music app or Cayin Music app click on the 4th button on the top menu (the HiBy icon that is shaped like a swirled circle) and enable HiByLink Server

TIDAL Playback

• iOS: Run mConnect and click on the Browser button at the bottom of the screen (third button from the left) and then select TIDAL. Log in to TIDAL and you will be able to browser TIDAL using mConnect. Then click the Play to button (the one on the right) and locate your Cayin N6ii under UPnP Devices and select it. This is where your music will be sent to.

• Android: Run BubbleUPnP and click on More (the three horizontal lines at the bottom left) and select TIDAL. Login in to TIDAL. You can now browse TIDAL and play songs. In the Now Playing screen there is a 'cast' icon to the right. Click on that and select UAPP Renderer. This is where you music will be sent to.

This is the same for iOS and Android. NOTE: You can only have one remote device connected (paired) to the HiBy Music app running on your Cayin N6ii.

Start the HiBy Music app. Click on the HiBy icon (swirled circle icon at the top and enable HiByLink Controller (Android) / HiBy Link (iOS). Now you can browse you local files on your Cayin N6ii and play them using your phone or tablet as a remote control. M3U playlist files are supported.

Option 2: Just use mConnect (iOS) or BubbleUPnP (Android) to control your Cayin N6ii running UAPP for both TIDAL and local music files. For this you won't need to use the HiBy Music app on your remote device or use it on your Cayin N6ii. You can just configure UAPP running on your Cayin N6ii to scan your local music files and to access your TIDAL account. I prefer using the HiBy Music app for local file playback as it looks nicer.

Someone might know of a better or easier way of doing this, but this is my first attempt at remotely controlling music playback from TIDAL and local files on my Cayin N6ii.

Credit to @Dannemand on the UAPP thread for getting me started on this approach.
Nice write up. I personally don’t need this, but flagging for later if I do.

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #6,618 of 8,192
For those of you that are looking to take the Cayin N6II to the next level and you don't want to spend more than a thousand dollars the best way to spend your money is buying a Romi Audio BX2 + amp. The addition of this amp takes the sound to the next level. If you are thinking the Cayin C9 is the only great amp you make BX2 + a disservice because it sounds as good as C9, especially if you like a clean sound with great soundstage and instrument separation. If you want to experience the tube sound another great amp is the Woo audio WA8, the only thing is that it is going to cost you more than a thousand dollars. Good luck in your audio quest for the audio enjoyment

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #6,619 of 8,192
Since it is using Korg tubes I didn't even want to try C9. I've the iBasso DX220 (EX-Mod) with the Amp9 with Korg tubes. It is good, but not wow worthy. Instead I got the N3 Pro from Cayin that has Raytheon tubes. Very compact and extremely good sound quality. Less than $500. Cayin definitely could have charged more, if they wanted to.

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #6,620 of 8,192
Since it is using Korg tubes I didn't even want to try C9. I've the iBasso DX220 (EX-Mod) with the Amp9 with Korg tubes. It is good, but not wow worthy. Instead I got the N3 Pro from Cayin that has Raytheon tubes. Very compact and extremely good sound quality. Less than $500. Cayin definitely could have charged more, if they wanted to.

There is a big difference between C9 and amp9 :wink: I think I used amp9 for no more than 15min, and set it aside. The level of noise floor was unbearable with many iems.

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #6,622 of 8,192
IMG_3619.JPG

Got lucky and managed to snag an open-box N6Ti! It was a bit of journey out-of-box, since what I was hearing was nothing like what many of my trusted HF'ers were hearing. Staging was mainly only height, bass had poor extension, mids were recessed. I was ready to send the unit back to Andrew to check if it was perhaps faulty, but decided to do a last minute factory reset and ensure AMP was secured safely...and boy am I glad that I did. Long story short-when in doubt, just reset everything!! (Thanks @Damz87).

When people say it is a bit tough to explain the R2R sound, they are not kidding. The best way I can describe it is that it feels effortless-notes are presented in a sweet but clear way that really helps engagement. I notice that it isn't as pin-point precise in terms of imaging compared to the Sp2k for example (I mean, what even is??)-but that softer/rounder edge to notes just helps envelop you in its addicting, charismatic tuning.

Bass is unique and excellent-it seems to roll off some of Traillii's subbass extension in favor for an analogue, hefty yet organic decay in the midbass, which works surprisingly well. Again, I am getting no BA bass timbre vibes. Vocals are sweet, sensual, and a bit more forward than from other sources. Treble is excellent with strong air and sparkle but in smooth way; I'd still give Sp2k the "King of Treble" title, but Ti R01 is less fatiguing and knocking right at its door.

I will do more A/B's over the week, but initial impressions compared to other DAPs:

Versus R8: Ti seems to make R8 sound a bit boring, somehow. I think it is again the effortless portrayal of the notes that helps you just enjoy the music a bit easier than on R8. And R8 to me is a musical device, don't get me wrong. R2R is working some magic, and it is noticeable between the chips.

R01/Ti is a bit more organic overall, with a more realistic bass and less upper mids compared to Turbo R8. R8 probably wins in low-level detail and texture, as it usually does.

Versus Sp2k: Sp2k is a touch more clinical, with more precision and bite compared to R01's more enchanting signature. Both are excellent and I am curious to see how these two continue to stack up as I can still burning both in.

Summary/TL;DR:
Yeah yeah, honeymoon phase blah blah-but I am seriously starting to wonder if I can ever go back to other chips (dual 1499s, you are excused) after getting that sweet, teasing taste of R2R. Future is bright, friends.
How do you reset N6ii? Interesting

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #6,623 of 8,192

So, here's the problem:

Answer:

On the Cayin N6ii:

TIDAL Playback

Nice project and good write-up! Flagging it for later when a use case might come up for me.

A question, please: How do the remote control and the N6ii communicate? Are they both hooked up to your home WiFi?

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #6,624 of 8,192
Nice project and good write-up! Flagging it for later when a use case might come up for me.

A question, please: How do the remote control and the N6ii communicate? Are they both hooked up to your home WiFi?
Home WiFI. There is an option to communicate over Bluetooth/Airplay bit you should choose the UPnP renderer endpoint.

Jul 2, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #6,626 of 8,192
R01 just arrived in da house, thank you kindly @PhilW

First impressions as a first time R2R user paired with IE900: excellent layering with precise imaging; highly dynamic (with the IE900, the sense of speed is compelling); micro-detail retrieval is impressive. Very resolving and coherent - doesn't quite get to Hugo 2 levels of resolution and separation, but gets close enough and in a less fatiguing way. Overall timbre, even early on, "natural" - no odd peaks, smooth without roll-off.

Tried with a few headphones. Someone maybe mentioned ZMF VC, seems beyond the scope of the R01 when I tried mine. Got to 80 on volume, little headroom, not too dynamic. Pairs much better with less demanding headphones: AWKT, WP900, TH900, HA-SW01 all sound dynamic, detailed, with lots of headroom to spare. TH900 works especially well, as the timbre of the R01 seems to slightly mitigate some of aggression of the TH900's top end (though I still think they sound better with C9 and A02).

Out of interest - and against official recommendation - I tried double amping, not with my C9 but with my Sparkos Aries, which is a very clean and neutral SS desktop amp. Didn't seem to introduce much in the way of noise but did something weird to the overall coherency, so I ended the experiment after a minute.

Look forward to seeing how it develops, but so far, colour me impressed.

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #6,628 of 8,192
R01 just arrived in da house, thank you kindly @PhilW

First impressions as a first time R2R user paired with IE900: excellent layering with precise imaging; highly dynamic (with the IE900, the sense of speed is compelling); micro-detail retrieval is impressive. Very resolving and coherent - doesn't quite get to Hugo 2 levels of resolution and separation, but gets close enough and in a less fatiguing way. Overall timbre, even early on, "natural" - no odd peaks, smooth without roll-off.

Tried with a few headphones. Someone maybe mentioned ZMF VC, seems beyond the scope of the R01 when I tried mine. Got to 80 on volume, little headroom, not too dynamic. Pairs much better with less demanding headphones: AWKT, WP900, TH900, HA-SW01 all sound dynamic, detailed, with lots of headroom to spare. TH900 works especially well, as the timbre of the R01 seems to slightly mitigate some of aggression of the TH900's top end (though I still think they sound better with C9 and A02).

Out of interest - and against official recommendation - I tried double amping, not with my C9 but with my Sparkos Aries, which is a very clean and neutral SS desktop amp. Didn't seem to introduce much in the way of noise but did something weird to the overall coherency, so I ended the experiment after a minute.

Look forward to seeing how it develops, but so far, colour me impressed.
Never!, and I mean NEVER, try to double amp without using a turboencabulator:

Jul 3, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #6,630 of 8,192
Importing playlists on the Cayin N6ii to use with the Cayin Music app
I managed to get playlists done very easily on my Cayin N6ii. In case anyone is interested in the procedure, here is the method that I used in case it helps someone out.

My Requirements
I use Audirvana as my music player on my Mac desktop. I have 300+ ripped CDs in FLAC format on my computer in one folder (My Music folder in my case). I point Audirvana at this folder for playing back my CD rips. I have an EXACT copy of this folder on my micro-SD card in my Cayin N6ii. Using Audirvana on my Mac desktop, I create several playlists as its very quick and easy to do on a large screen. I want to have these exact playlists on my Cayin N6ii and for the Cayin Music app to recognise them and play them.

Essentially, you can use this procedure with any desktop software that can export playlists in M3U format (which will be the majority of music apps on Mac and Windows I imagine. The two things that you need to ensure are:

1. You have an exact copy of your music folder on both your desktop hard drive and your Cayin N6ii

2. You export your playlists using relative paths

Process
1. I used the Export Playlist function in Audirvana by right-clicking on one of my playlists. I selected Use relative paths. This creates M3U files in the My Music folder on my computer

2. Powering off the Cayin N6ii and taking the micro-SD card out, inserting it into the SD card slot on my Mac using an adapter, I copied the M3U files into the My Music folder on the micro-SD card

3. Putting the card back into the Cayin N6ii, powering on, starting the Cayin Music app, I tapped the middle icon at the top that has a single musical note on it on a manuscript

4. Tap Playlist

5. Tap Import Playlist

6. Tap on the text that says Click here to select file (it's not obvious that that's a link - don't tap the Cancel or OK buttons at this point)

7. You will then be presented with your built-in drive (labelled 0) and your micro-SD card drive (labelled with some kind of string made up of numbers in my case). Basically 0 is your internal memory, the other one is your micro-SD card

8. Select the volume where you My Music folder resides (this is in my case, in your case select the folder where your music resides)

9. Select your M3U playlist file

10. Let it read your playlist file (this might take a second or two)

11. Repeat steps 8-10 for all of your M3U playlist files

11. Exit back out to the Playlist section

12. You will now see your playlists. Tap on one and enjoy the music!

I hope that helps someone out.

Hello, I hope you are all doing well !

I spent a lot of time these past weeks searching for a quality dap (my first one), and finally decided for a Cayin N6ii :)
I then spent a lot of time reading almost all the posts in this thread, which led me on getting a R01 module (from Phil, a big thanks to him!!!).

I wanted to get a N6ii E02 + R01, but had to get a N6ii A01 + R01. Ordering through Son-Video.com, the N6ii E02 was too hard to get (unknown delay).

I am used to ESS Sabre Dac (Pioneer N50A, Khadas Tone Board) and I have to say I am pleased with the R01 sound.
But yes, it is better after a few hours of burn in. At first, bass was prominent, less now :)

Wifi is not N6ii's strongest quality, but I will use it mostly with offline music.

I was able to configure it as I wanted (thanks Nova Launcher), but I am struggling with the playlist import functionnality.
I also have Audirvana, exact same music folders on my PC and my N6ii. I exported a playlist with relative paths but cannot import the playlist in Cayin and HiBy apps (playlist remains empty).
However, it works with UAPP!
So is there a trick for the Cayin and HiBy apps ?
Any help will be much appreciated :)

As a side note, I do not have the same quality IEMs as you may have, but I am enjoying my Moondrop Arias and the Sundara :wink:

Kind regards,
Enjoy your gear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back