Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Dec 14, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #5,416 of 8,196
Sorry I have not made myself clear. What I want to know is can Onkyo HF Player plays high resolulation files like the stock Cayin Music (that is, get the correct resolution as it from the 4.4mm plug without using external DAC? For example, I played FLAC 192 but Onkyo HF Player showed only PCM 44.1. I don't use external DAC.
OK I think I understand you now, I can test it later, I don't have my N6ii with me at the moment.

OK I tested this and I agree Onkyo HF player only outputs > 44.1Khz when connected to an external DAC, there is nothing can be done about this its how the Onkyo player works.

You have two options, listen to everything at 44.1Khz with Onkyo or use a different music player.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #5,418 of 8,196
I using adapter 2.5 mm to 4.4 with A01

If you have used the 2.5mm headphone cable in other DAP and confirmed that it is in perfectly working order, then the problem can be related to 4.4mm output of your A01 or the 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter. If you can't conduct any test with other headphones or a properly connected 4.4mm headphone cable, maybe you should contact your dealer and ask them to perform the test for you.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 15, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #5,419 of 8,196
The N6ii outputting fully unfolded MQA over i²s is, as far as I know, unique. I haven't seen another way of getting the final unfolded step into a DAC that doesn't support it. Almost seems like that gets around some of the controlled limitations of the MQA format, in a great way. I only wish it could do that over AES/EBU so I could try it with my ADI-2 Pro

I haven't heard of any other way of getting full MQA on a unsupported DAC so this might be the only one. Sounds like a sneaky trick that should be more well known.

I also bought an E01 at AndyKongs recommendation for lowest inherent noise, can't wait to report back with my most sensitive IEMs.

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #5,420 of 8,196
If you have used the 2.5mm headphone cable in other DAP and confirmed that it is in perfectly working order, then the problem can be related to 4.4mm output of your A01 or the 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter. If you can't conduct any test with other headphones or a properly connected 4.4mm headphone cable, maybe you should contact your dealer and ask them to perform the test for you.
Thank you Andykong, may be I should find time go to shop for solve my issue.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #5,421 of 8,196
currently I'm using n6ii T01 4.4mm balanced line out to headphone AMP.
Any improvement if using A02 balanced line out to my headphone AMP ?

Is A02 is purely for output source and cannot be use to connect to IEM/headphone ?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #5,422 of 8,196
Any improvement if using A02 balanced line out to my headphone AMP ?
Not that I can hear no.

Is A02 is purely for output source and cannot be use to connect to IEM/headphone ?
That's how its been designed yes, as it has a variable line-out I dare say someone somewhere will try connecting high impedance headphones, but not recommended.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #5,423 of 8,196
Not that I can hear no.

That's how its been designed yes, as it has a variable line-out I dare say someone somewhere will try connecting high impedance headphones, but not recommended.
Can you tell me which balanced headphone amplifier are you using when you compare the balanced line out of A02 and T01?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 16, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #5,425 of 8,196
Unfortunately looks like I will be sending the Cayin-E02 back.

While it sounds GREAT with my Denon 9200 (honestly essentially as good as they sound out of Hugo-2 with GSX-mini), I’m having data retrieval issues /buffering while streaming Qobuz from UAPP. My signal is ok.

Does this seem normal? Really wish it would have worked out.

Dec 17, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #5,426 of 8,196
Unfortunately looks like I will be sending the Cayin-E02 back.

While it sounds GREAT with my Denon 9200 (honestly essentially as good as they sound out of Hugo-2 with GSX-mini), I’m having data retrieval issues /buffering while streaming Qobuz from UAPP. My signal is ok.

Does this seem normal? Really wish it would have worked out.
I have buffering issues with UAPP while streaming Tidal doesn’t matter which audioboard inserted. Native tidal app working OK.

Dec 17, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #5,427 of 8,196
The N6ii outputting fully unfolded MQA over i²s is, as far as I know, unique. I haven't seen another way of getting the final unfolded step into a DAC that doesn't support it. Almost seems like that gets around some of the controlled limitations of the MQA format, in a great way. I only wish it could do that over AES/EBU so I could try it with my ADI-2 Pro

I haven't heard of any other way of getting full MQA on a unsupported DAC so this might be the only one. Sounds like a sneaky trick that should be more well known.

I also bought an E01 at AndyKongs recommendation for lowest inherent noise, can't wait to report back with my most sensitive IEMs.

I discovered the fully-unfoled MQA sample rate over I2S purely by accident. I was testing my replacement N6ii and just glanced at the D90 DAC display, expecting to see 96kHz, but was stunned when I saw 384kHz! I had been thinking about replacing my D90 non-MQA DAC with the D90 MQA version. No need to now!

As for the E01, I'm really perfectly happy with the sound from the E01. I only use it in Class A mode and the sound quality is extremely good.

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #5,430 of 8,196
Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays and all the best for 2021 to the Cayin N6ii posse on Head-Fi.

QR1fh9u.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back