Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Jun 24, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #1,712 of 1,977
I think Cayin N6 still is the leader in value then followed by Fiio X7....

who knows what's next!

Audio is a personal experience, that's why everyone is entitled to their personal opinion. One might convinced that DAP A sounds a lot bette then DAP B, but that is not necessarily the case for others, so it is difficult to judge the value issue on audio performance, unless there is evidence that someone is sharing very similar listening preference with you, otherwise you are reading an opinion only, nothing less, but nothing more either.

In addition, value for money in DAP might include other requirements relate to practical usage, features/function, look and feel, .... discussion on value for money probably need to involve where do you want to put your money as well.

That's why we always welcome user to discuss and compare if they understand these constraints in advance, but as a vendor, we only tell you what we are, we don't and shouldn't doing comparison ourselves. :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 25, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #1,713 of 1,977
Tou can buy X7 body without amp. And buy AM2. With AM1 it is good too, but with am2 much better

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #1,714 of 1,977
is it normal i hear some noise poping from the dap (not the cans) when album is finish for example ?
i dont remember if it was again like this on firmware 3 ( i am on the 4)

funny thing: N6 drive my he 560 not to bad when music dont ask to much basses

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #1,715 of 1,977
i am using coaxial to connect to mojo..sound good
smily_headphones1.gif

What is the difference between the sound of those 2 for you?

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #1,719 of 1,977
I recently bought the N6 to take on holiday rather than risk losing my expensive AK equipment.
What has surprised me is how much I prefer the sound using my Layla iems.

I compared it to the X7 and found it far superior in sound quality. I don't need wifi or Bluetooth and accept for some people they are important.
I love the QP1R but couldn't delete folders on the fly which I can do on the N6. Maybe the QP1R can with latest firmware but not when I used it.

The Sony ZX2 has great battery life but sound quality only so so.

I hope Cayin contine to support this product and keep involved with the high end of audio rather than just the i5 which seems just a clone of so many other current DAPs.

How about a N7 next?

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #1,720 of 1,977
I recently bought the N6 to take on holiday rather than risk losing my expensive AK equipment.

I compared it to the X7 and found it far superior in sound quality. I don't need wifi or Bluetooth and accept for some people they are important.
I love the QP1R but couldn't delete folders on the fly which I can do on the N6. Maybe the QP1R can with latest firmware but not when I used it.

I hope Cayin contine to support this product and keep involved with the high end of audio rather than just the i5 which seems just a clone of so many other current DAPs.

How about a N7 next?

Do NOT make the mistake of selling the ZX2 if you haven't already.It is a step above N6 in many ways and  both daps worth of keeping due to different sound signature and iem matching.Btw,as for the ZX2 i bet the way you heard it without TRRS plug ,without disabling sound adjustment(killing all eq) and without (?) burn in of 200h for capacitors to settle in,it sounds like a15 with bigger soundstage,dull,uneganging,warm,treble lacking detail and veiled overall.

Case in point  http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/12075#post_12704487

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,721 of 1,977
I also bought this. From many research, it tells me this is the best sounding DAP in its price bracket, with a more or less flat and neutral signature. I don't value UI that much, just want no bugs. It arrives tomorrow.

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #1,722 of 1,977
Do NOT make the mistake of selling the ZX2 if you haven't already.It is a step above N6 in many ways and  both daps worth of keeping due to different sound signature and iem matching.Btw,as for the ZX2 i bet the way you heard it without TRRS plug ,without disabling sound adjustment(killing all eq) and without (?) burn in of 200h for capacitors to settle in,it sounds like a15 with bigger soundstage,dull,uneganging,warm,treble lacking detail and veiled overall.

Case in point  http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/12075#post_12704487

I haven't sold the zx2 yet.
The problem is having to recable items.
The Laylas come with non balanced and balanced but balanced is the AK balanced 2.5 which has become the standard.
I ended up using an external amp with the ZX2 because I found its output rather low powered. The N6 is more like the QP1R with lots of power.

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,723 of 1,977
I haven't sold the zx2 yet.
The problem is having to recable items.
The Laylas come with non balanced and balanced but balanced is the AK balanced 2.5 which has become the standard.
I ended up using an external amp with the ZX2 because I found its output rather low powered. The N6 is more like the QP1R with lots of power.

Buy a used se846,k10,rhapsodio solar (great synergy with ZX2 for all)and a $100 cable terminated to TRRS for ZX2.You will have your Laylas with N6 and ZX2 with a trrs iem for different sound signature.The ZX2 is a true high end sounding dap while being extremely musical (btw,with sound adjustment disabled apps-all apps -sound adjustment click disable the tonality goes from warm/dark to completely neutral)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-Sony-XBA-4-upgrade-cable-by-Lavricables-/172273286850

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=78

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,725 of 1,977

How about a N7 next?

I also bought this. From many research, it tells me this is the best sounding DAP in its price bracket, with a more or less flat and neutral signature. I don't value UI that much, just want no bugs. It arrives tomorrow.

You too about the laylas and the cayin n6 I thought it was just me who thought that was a perfect combo I'm glad that I'm not alone in thinking that.

Such a comfort to find out N6 is still well-received by consumers who put audio performance as their first priority. the N6 is a little bit outdated from marketing perspective, somehow the DAP market is getting into a very fast pace of product life cycle that can almost compete with the mobile phone industry, so having customers who didn't affect by the marketing norm and consider the N6 DAP as their choice of best sounding DAPs is the driving force for us to stick with what we believed. There are several players in the industry sharing similar vision and believe, they are our competitors but also our partners to fight for a more suitable marketplace.

The N6 is one and a half year old and we have started to work on the successor of N6, but it will take a fairly long time to develop something this is more then a facelift but actually offer noticeable improvement on audio performance. It is unlikely that we can finish the project in 2016 but we'll try out best to roll out something significant by early 2017, so please enjoy your N6 for the time being, they'll stay for a while. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back