Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
May 21, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #1,697 of 1,977
I bought a Centrance Mini-M8 at previous weekend and listen it with N6 for 2-5 hours in a day. So I can say that N6 sounds VERY VERY closer to Mini-M8. It is a very difficult to find the difference.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #1,700 of 1,977
You can change microSD card fairly efficiently with N6 if you select your songs/album from folders. All you need to do is to stop the current playback (long press the right button on the front panel, the player will stop and go back to Home screen), swap card, go to Music Library and select your file from there on.

If you prefer to screen song based Music Category, then you need to re-index the Music Library before you can use the microSD card.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 23, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #1,705 of 1,977
Is this DAP still a good value? What are the alternatives?

yup still good ..still waiting for another flagship from cayin...

If audio performance is your top priority and you are looking for the best sounds at this nearby price range,There are newer and more comprehensive DAP round the corner, but if you were to make your decision on value for money and N6 falls within your target range, N6 is still a very competence choice.

We are working on a successor of N6, but it takes a lot more time then we originally expected when we want to outperform N6 in all aspectes. The original plan was to release a successor model at 2 year anniversary of N6 (launched at late Dec 2014) but it is very unlikely given the latest progress.

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #1,706 of 1,977
  I guess the Sabre 9018 with the MUSE02 has a bit more musicality than the N6 right? I had an Hifime with the ES9018K2M (I know X7 got the desktop version) and a FiiO E12A, so I know more or less that "taste" of sound.

Can you compare briefly the two please?

X7 a little bit more musicality than N6 and has a cleaner high-freq. You can read more here - http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x7/reviews/14660 . BUT it also has a some kill-features:
1) Changable amp
2) Support Online streaming service like the Tidal (it is amazing)
3) More power time
4) Defenetly more power with AM5
5) Better UI interface
6) Very good accessories like a dock station
7) No issue with charging indicator
8) Viper4Android
9) It is thinner
10) It is not so hot during playing

It is just amazing!!!

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #1,707 of 1,977
the n6 is very good, and good value for its price.  the questyle qp1r is better - with a richer treble and without the slightly artificial "air" i hear around each instrument on the n6.  otoh, the qp1r is 50% more expensive.  the n6 clearly outperforms the ibasso dx90, which sounds congested, especially in the bass, compared to the n6.  otoh the dx90 is 35% cheaper.  i've owned and listened to all 3 of these, they are all very good for their price point.  [last i looked, dx90 =$385, n6=$600, qp1r=$900]

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,708 of 1,977
  X7 a little bit more musicality than N6 and has a cleaner high-freq. You can read more here - http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x7/reviews/14660 . BUT it also has a some kill-features:
1) Changable amp
2) Support Online streaming service like the Tidal (it is amazing)
3) More power time
4) Defenetly more power with AM5
5) Better UI interface
6) Very good accessories like a dock station
7) No issue with charging indicator
8) Viper4Android
9) It is thinner
10) It is not so hot during playing

It is just amazing!!!

It also costs more 300 dollar (X7 + AM2) than my deal for N6 (new). I pay in Euro. And I guess sonic wise, N6 isn't inferior to X7.

the n6 is very good, and good value for its price.  the questyle qp1r is better - with a richer treble and without the slightly artificial "air" i hear around each instrument on the n6.  otoh, the qp1r is 50% more expensive.  the n6 clearly outperforms the ibasso dx90, which sounds congested, especially in the bass, compared to the n6.  otoh the dx90 is 35% cheaper.  i've owned and listened to all 3 of these, they are all very good for their price point.  [last i looked, dx90 =$385, n6=$600, qp1r=$900]

Yeah, I searched about QP1R...It's a bit more expensive and sonic wise, it isn't that much better (just a bit in treble maybe). And it has no USB DAC and one or two other things that put me off. But the main concern was price.

Thanks! Also @Andykong for the insight. 

Jun 24, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,709 of 1,977
It also costs more 300 dollar (X7 + AM2) than my deal for N6 (new). I pay in Euro. And I guess sonic wise, N6 isn't inferior to X7.

Yeah, I searched about QP1R...It's a bit more expensive and sonic wise, it isn't that much better (just a bit in treble maybe). And it has no USB DAC and one or two other things that put me off. But the main concern was price.

Thanks! Also @Andykong
 for the insight. 

I think it all come down with two important factors, user preference in sound signature/audio performance and user experience when use the DAP in person. Everyone offers a different package somehow, and I do admit that N6 has shown its age when compare with other modern DAP side by side, but the question is whether these "advantages really matters to you? or they are just an added "plus" in the list. That's why I start my recommendation with the priority of audio performance and whether you are buying in this price range specially.

Happy hunting and I hope you find your most suitable DAP.

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,710 of 1,977

the qp1r is better not just in its treble, but has a more natural sound.  but the difference in price is significant, as you say, and they are both good value imo when viewed solely as stand alone players.  and also, as you say, if you want usb dac function then the qp1r is eliminated from consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back