Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Aug 12, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #1,426 of 1,977
Yep- both of them.  :smile:

My Shure 846 is for sale, my Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor is in for a refit, my Ted's balanced cables have arrived, and I'm using my Fidue A83 with the Moon Audio cable in the meantime.  Life is good.

Two of 'em? I'm assuming you're going to send your spare Pono along with the N6 for me to test out, right (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) :wink_face:

I'm jammin' the review tour pair of Final Audio Heaven VII with the Cozoy Aegis right now. Not too bad...

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #1,427 of 1,977
F.A.O Thomas Cayin, Andy Kong & Cayin,

I was using the N6 with the 3.0 firmware on it just after you launched it in June & whilst out when the player was being used it just shut down. Now I know it gets hot when in use & thought maybe it was a precaution on behalf of the unit & it shut itself down for self-preservation. I didn't think it was that hot to be honest.

However, I downloaded & installed 3.1 last night & was using it, with the unit sat beside me, not in my pocket & it shut down again. Now this time the difference is, just before I'd sat back to enjoy the new firmware having not listened to the N6 since the popping/pause/buffer or whatever that came with 3.0, I was tinkering with the EQ & decided on a change in set up & switched the digital filter from slow to sharp. After I managed to reboot the unit it had lost the new EQ setting & reverted to the old, switched the digital filter back to slow & dropped the volume down to 20 from 34 - in other words it crashed & forgot everything I had changed since the time it was switched on.

There was about 72% left on the battery meter.

Any thoughts please ? Obviously not happy to have such a temperamental unit, especially as I've used it so little having been waiting for the play through folder function (which I've been happy to wait for, just stressing the lack of use) since I bought it on the 9th April 2015.

Aug 12, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #1,428 of 1,977
Two of 'em? I'm assuming you're going to send your spare Pono along with the N6 for me to test out, right (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
wink_face.gif

I'm jammin' the review tour pair of Final Audio Heaven VII with the Cozoy Aegis right now. Not too bad...

Couldn't pass up the deal at Fry's for $275.  I use it at school with a "big" pair of powered speakers.  Drives some of my students crazy, others seem to like the 60s.  
smile.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,429 of 1,977
Announcement of NF firmware version 3.1

Updated items:
1. Adjusted the instruction sequence in V3.0 regarding the processing of music files involving Album Arts, ensure smooth playback and put audio quality having highest priority into practice
2. Added Japanese User interface

The new firmware can be downloaded at the following location:
http://en.cayin.cn/news_view.asp?id=797

I had originally reverted back from FW3.0 to 2.0 because of the 'skipping' problems, but can unequivocally say that FW3.1 is an excellent upgrade. The sound seems a touch warmer and even more 'musical' (listening through the Grado GH1s and it's really superb). Thanks Cayin for getting this fixed and working on improvements. You have a very pleased customer here in the UK!

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,430 of 1,977
F.A.O Thomas Cayin, Andy Kong & Cayin,

I was using the N6 with the 3.0 firmware on it just after you launched it in June & whilst out when the player was being used it just shut down. Now I know it gets hot when in use & thought maybe it was a precaution on behalf of the unit & it shut itself down for self-preservation. I didn't think it was that hot to be honest.

However, I downloaded & installed 3.1 last night & was using it, with the unit sat beside me, not in my pocket & it shut down again. Now this time the difference is, just before I'd sat back to enjoy the new firmware having not listened to the N6 since the popping/pause/buffer or whatever that came with 3.0, I was tinkering with the EQ & decided on a change in set up & switched the digital filter from slow to sharp. After I managed to reboot the unit it had lost the new EQ setting & reverted to the old, switched the digital filter back to slow & dropped the volume down to 20 from 34 - in other words it crashed & forgot everything I had changed since the time it was switched on.

There was about 72% left on the battery meter.

Any thoughts please ? Obviously not happy to have such a temperamental unit, especially as I've used it so little having been waiting for the play through folder function (which I've been happy to wait for, just stressing the lack of use) since I bought it on the 9th April 2015.

I'll try to put the event in sequence:

(1) You try to update your N6 from v3.0 to v3.1
(2) The firmware update is successful, the player reboot and back to normal operation mode
(3) You started to use the N6 in V3.1, and have changed the digital filter and EQ setting in due course
(4) The player shut down suddenly in the middle of operation (I assume you are listening to the N6 with your headphone at that time)
(5) [COLOR=FF00AA]Question[/COLOR]: The player reboot itself after shut down? Or you turn on the N6 manually?
(6) When N6 is turned on again, the player fall back to default factory setting, and the battery reading is 72%
(7) [COLOR=FF00AA]Question[/COLOR]: Did you use the N6 afterward? Any subsequent problem identified? or the player has been functioned alright after that?

I assume this was the correct sequence at the moment. From what you described, it sounds like a SoC (System on Chip) reset due to unknown reason. I cannot trace the cause of SoC malfunction based on what you described, but if this is a non-repeatable, one-off event, very likely we cannot trace back the problem happened at the point of system crashed. If this happened repeatedly, we shall arrange for a factory diagnosis/repair for you, but if this is an one-off event after you upgrade v3.1, I suggest you keep using the player for a while and come back to us when the problem recurred.

Regarding the operation temp. of N6, please be reminded that the CNC aluminum chassis acts like a heat sink to the player, so as long as the player is placed in a ventilated environment, it will warm up to a fairly high temperature but won't overheat, in fact, if you feel that the N6 is fairly hot, that means heat dispersion mechanism is working as designed. However if you were to put the N6 inside a closed environment such as a carrying bag or inside pocket, heat will build up and can not be dispersed, and the system will shut down because of that.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 12, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,431 of 1,977
(5) Question: The player reboot itself after shut down? Or you turn on the N6 manually?
(7) Question: Did you use the N6 afterward? Any subsequent problem identified? or the player has been functioned alright after that?

Yep, the sequence is exactly as you described. In answer to your questions:

The player shut itself down as I was listening to it, as it did previously when I was out with it. The difference is, the first time with 3.0 firmware it was in my pocket. So, I assumed, as you've alluded to, the unit did it's job & just shut down as it may have been too hot.

Last night on version 3.1 it was just sat on a table beside me & the ambient room temp was pretty cool, about 18c. The player didn't reboot on either occasion, simply shut down. I rebooted it immediately without delay, the difference being on the second occasion the revised system settings were lost.

I sincerely hope as you say it's a glitch & not an inherent problem with my unit but, felt it prudent to mention it, just in case. I've waited some months for the updates for the unit to be useable to me, particular with the functions I so desire, like the play through, which I greatly appreciate. The unit itself sounds incredible. I've had advice from someone else on head-fi with regard Westone W60s I bought to use with this. I was distinctly underwhelmed with them but, they're starting to pay off.

I'm listening to it now & if the fault replicates I'll report back again. No popping when album art changes & the folder play through seems to work. Thank you to all at Cayin :wink:

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,432 of 1,977
Yep, the sequence is exactly as you described. In answer to your questions:

The player shut itself down as I was listening to it, as it did previously when I was out with it. The difference is, the first time with 3.0 firmware it was in my pocket. So, I assumed, as you've alluded to, the unit did it's job & just shut down as it may have been too hot.

Last night on version 3.1 it was just sat on a table beside me & the ambient room temp was pretty cool, about 18c. The player didn't reboot on either occasion, simply shut down. I rebooted it immediately without delay, the difference being on the second occasion the revised system settings were lost.

I sincerely hope as you say it's a glitch & not an inherent problem with my unit but, felt it prudent to mention it, just in case. I've waited some months for the updates for the unit to be useable to me, particular with the functions I so desire, like the play through, which I greatly appreciate. The unit itself sounds incredible. I've had advice from someone else on head-fi with regard Westone W60s I bought to use with this. I was distinctly underwhelmed with them but, they're starting to pay off.

I'm listening to it now & if the fault replicates I'll report back again. No popping when album art changes & the folder play through seems to work. Thank you to all at Cayin :wink:

Because the two instance end up in two very different result, the first instance was an auto shut down and the unit turn on again at its normal condition, but the second instant involves a system reset, so I'll treat these two instances as independent event.

SoC reset is difficult to trace unless it is (1) repeatable, or (2) display error message to alert user. In your case, we just hope it won't recur in near future and you can enjoy your N6 happily ever after. :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 12, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,433 of 1,977
I think they elevated the bass and made it quite a bit thicker with v3.1 fw.Even my se535 go boom,but then again i just returned from 4 mai tais and 3 mojitos with 6 vodka shots on top so take that with a grain of salt 
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,434 of 1,977

I had originally reverted back from FW3.0 to 2.0 because of the 'skipping' problems, but can unequivocally say that FW3.1 is an excellent upgrade. The sound seems a touch warmer and even more 'musical' (listening through the Grado GH1s and it's really superb). Thanks Cayin for getting this fixed and working on improvements. You have a very pleased customer here in the UK!

Thank you very much

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,435 of 1,977
just got an n6 and spent a couple of hours today comparing it to my dx90.  i checked the firmware and it's version 1.1.  

it sounded very good with 1.1.  if anyone with 3.1 can remember back that far, how is 3.1 different in sq?

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,436 of 1,977
You can update and see for yourself. If you don't like it, switch back.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,437 of 1,977
  just got an n6 and spent a couple of hours today comparing it to my dx90.  i checked the firmware and it's version 1.1.  

it sounded very good with 1.1.  if anyone with 3.1 can remember back that far, how is 3.1 different in sq?S

Same here...got mine Tuesday with 1.1 version. I feel the same way: it sounds good and wonder what changes were made by the time version 3.1 arrived?

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #1,438 of 1,977

it sounded very good with 1.1.  if anyone with 3.1 can remember back that far, how is 3.1 different in sq?

I think I remember the trebles being a bit on the harsher side sometimes and the soundstage being a bit narrower when I first got the N6 - it still sounded great, very detailed, fast, and was just what I was after though.Having said that we all know equipment 'changes' the longer you listen - takes a while to adjust to anything new - and I've paired it with new Grados in the last few weeks (which are possibly burning in mechanically, but I'm still certainly getting used to them anyway), so who knows what I actually remember and what I think I remember! By FW3.1 the biggest changes are in functionality imho (eg going automatically onto to the next folder, bigger font etc) - though (and YMMV) I think it's a bit bassier (still very tight) and the soundstage is a perhaps a bit wider - but again that could be the Grados. The presentation hasn't really changed I don't think, and I would be very surprised if you changed to FW 3.1 and didn't like the N6 suddenly. As @PinkyPowers says it's very easy to swop between the versions and decide which you like best. Overall I think the sonic differences are relatively slight (to my ears) compared with how much more user-friendly the N6 is. (Incidentally, v3.0 caused some 'skipping' issues at the start of tracks which 3.1 fixed, so I'd give that a miss whatever you decide to do.)

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #1,439 of 1,977

I think I remember the trebles being a bit on the harsher side sometimes and the soundstage being a bit narrower when I first got the N6 - it still sounded great, very detailed, fast, and was just what I was after though.Having said that we all know equipment 'changes' the longer you listen - takes a while to adjust to anything new - and I've paired it with new Grados in the last few weeks (which are possibly burning in mechanically, but I'm still certainly getting used to them anyway), so who knows what I actually remember and what I think I remember! By FW3.1 the biggest changes are in functionality imho (eg going automatically onto to the next folder, bigger font etc) - though (and YMMV) I think it's a bit bassier (still very tight) and the soundstage is a perhaps a bit wider - but again that could be the Grados. The presentation hasn't really changed I don't think, and I would be very surprised if you changed to FW 3.1 and didn't like the N6 suddenly. As @PinkyPowers says it's very easy to swop between the versions and decide which you like best. Overall I think the sonic differences are relatively slight (to my ears) compared with how much more user-friendly the N6 is. (Incidentally, v3.0 caused some 'skipping' issues at the start of tracks which 3.1 fixed, so I'd give that a miss whatever you decide to do.)

my initial take on the n6 with firmware 1.1 vs the dx90 with firmware 2.2.0L0:
1. n6 has noticeably better separation of instruments and when listening to solo instruments, especially piano, better separation of notes, in the sense of the lack of "blending" of overtones.
2. the dx90 sounds somewhat congested or veiled. perhaps this is just saying the same thing as #1.  i hadn't perceived the dx90 that way at all until i had the n6 to compare.
3. the n6 has a bigger soundstage.  perhaps this is just saying the same thing as #1 and #2.
4. the dx90 bass is a little loose, the n6's bass is tighter.  i'm not sure if there's any difference in extension.
5. the dx90 might have a very slightly thicker, more textured treble.   this is the one comparison in which the dx90 might surpass the n6, but it is - as i said- very slight.  i wonder if others have perceived this, and if the latest firmware changes this.

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,440 of 1,977
These were generally my impressions.The dx90 does indeed sound slightly veiled when compared to N6 and more congested especially with complex passages with a lot of instruments it can sound a bit out of focus,like it stumbles a bit,the bass is tighter with N6 and much better textured with my ie800 and the only area which ibasso comes close is treble especially with the fw you're using the smoothest of them all.

Btw change to fw 3.1 asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back