Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Apr 20, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #751 of 1,977
  I've just got my hands on a brand new N6. Had it a week but, for different reasons I didn't open it till last night.

Whilst I have been incredibly impressed with the sound I have discovered either a major flaw in the player or confirmation of my Wife's suspicion - I'm an idiot.

I can't play albums sequentially, one after the other, not without physically picking the player up & starting another album. You can't hit play just to start playing albums, only tracks within albums & once the tracks have been played in that album, the music stops.

What am I missing ? I sincerely hope it is my stupidity & it's easily remedied & will be happy to make my Wife's day :-D.

I read through the manual online a few times last night, in case I was missing something. My Wife suggested that I should look to adjusting the structure of the album folders into as few as possible. For example, one album ripped is from a series of volumes 1-9, each volume consisting of four discs/albums. So, on the PC there’s an initial file with the series title name, that contains a further nine that are the volumes & each of those contains four more of each disc & in each of those is the music files. Because I just copied & pasted that structure, as they’ve been ripped & compiled on the desktop, my Wife thought that’s where the problem may be & so I started re-labelling them so they’re not folders within folders.

It hasn't worked.

I can play the trance, hip-hop & rock n roll (Elvis) genres on their own as they’re not mixed & the randomness wouldn’t bother me but, I have many house albums that are sequentially mixed & to play them as a genre means they play in order of track title number so 1 then 1 then 2 then 2 etc. from any number of albums. That is a mess & not an acceptable listening experience.

Just looking quickly, making up a playlist or favourites doesn’t look easy & it looks time consuming.

I hope I’ve made the issue clear to somebody so that you understand because I’ve also contacted Cayin, in the hope they may be able to offer some advice. If you can't understand me, then I doubt they will.

The player is set to play once, I assume that's the normal setting, to ordinarily play through in succession, all the music on the card but, it won't.

Any thoughts please ?

Hi Woogy:

You write very detailed, but forgive me English level, I hope I'm not understand your meaning.

N6 there is no folder playback functions, but has the plan, and started in June this year. In the new firmware, we will define the file playback function.

Then you will achieve your request, can be carried out in the following way to edit yourdocument, I cite a simple example to illustrate.

For example, you have ten albums a singer, you first to the singer's name in a folder, and then, in this file are better in the ten album, then you choose to play the singer's folder, N6 will start from the A album, after the completion of the automatic switch to B album, hasfinished playing.

I do not know whether the corresponding answer, your problem and can give you a reference.

Thank you, my friend.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #752 of 1,977
  i have the same question.  i have a dx90 but have been following this thread, wondering about whether i wanted to get the n6.

i have noted at least 3 members who've posted in this thread who mentioned also having, or having had, a dx90:
1, @lalala6 
2. @vilhelm44
3. @taz23 

i would be very interested in hearing a comparison of the n6 and dx90 from each of them, with as much detail as they care to give.

Hi jk47,

I sold my DX90 a few days after getting the N6; I guess that shows how much I love the N6 over the DX90.

The DX90 was a good implementation of the dual-mobile ESS DAC chip.  It was lightweight and I like the variable line-out (in order to get out of the channel imbalance range of some amps). 

In terms of sound, the N6 was more detailed, airy, and has better imaging.  As such, things sounded more coherent and natural to me, at least for the genres that I often listen to.  I feel that the bass in N6 is more impactful too without being overbearing.  The N6 has taken my few IEMs (Rhapsodio Ref T1, JVC FX850, ATH-IM03) to another level.  It cannot power the HE-560 sufficiently; I will need an external amp for that.

I hope this helps.  (Sorry, I am not good in describing sound.  But I love my N6!)

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:07 AM Post #753 of 1,977
  Hi Woogy:

You write very detailed, but forgive me English level, I hope I'm not understand your meaning.

N6 there is no folder playback functions, but has the plan, and started in June this year. In the new firmware, we will define the file playback function.

Then you will achieve your request, can be carried out in the following way to edit yourdocument, I cite a simple example to illustrate.

For example, you have ten albums a singer, you first to the singer's name in a folder, and then, in this file are better in the ten album, then you choose to play the singer's folder, N6 will start from the A album, after the completion of the automatic switch to B album, hasfinished playing.

I do not know whether the corresponding answer, your problem and can give you a reference.

Thank you, my friend.

Hi Thomas, I think you understood the post just fine.  It seems to me that Woogy was asking for sequential folder playback (playing one folder and moving to the next folder), and the feature in the new firmware is just that.

Just to add in a small request: now that we have the auto shutdown after being idle (not doing anything) for 5 or 10 mins, can we have the original sleep timer back too?  That way, I can listen to music and have it shutdown after, say, 30min.  Otherwise, N6 will play all the way until the last track (in normal playback mode) and then shutdown after 5 min of inactivity.  Many thanks!

PS: Thanks for other forumers, I found out how to change the software settings such that N6 is acting as a native DSD DAC with 1-bit/2.8MHz on the screen.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #754 of 1,977

Hi Thomas, I think you understood the post just fine.  It seems to me that Woogy was asking for sequential folder playback (playing one folder and moving to the next folder), and the feature in the new firmware is just that.

Just to add in a small request: now that we have the auto shutdown after being idle (not doing anything) for 5 or 10 mins, can we have the original sleep timer back too?  That way, I can listen to music and have it shutdown after, say, 30min.  Otherwise, N6 will play all the way until the last track (in normal playback mode) and then shutdown after 5 min of inactivity.  Many thanks!

PS: Thanks for other forumers, I found out how to change the software settings such that N6 is acting as a native DSD DAC with 1-bit/2.8MHz on the screen.

Thank you.

On the setting time of shutdown, you mean the shutdown should still be retained, but alsohave now idle shutdown?

I think I need to explain why the shutdown was revised, because in many places to listen tothe views of users, including here. If you keep the two time option, will cause trouble to the user, such as the two off anything, and how to use and so on.

We do what we can do to the function is simple and clear, simple and practical because of reduced options. Of course, I still need you and more people's opinions, if you identify thisfunction is more important, we can recover, this is not a difficult thing.

Thanks again 

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #755 of 1,977
Hi Thomas,

Yes, I meant having both types. 

The DX90 has both types.  The auto shutdown after x minutes of inactivity was to ensure that battery life is retained should one forget to shutdown the DAP.  But I also find that the sleep timer was useful when listening to music at bedtime (truly SLEEP timer).

If I have to choose between the types, yes, I would have chosen the auto shutdown after x minutes of inactivity too.  That will be the more important one. 

But if the naming of the two functions are done properly (like "Auto Shutdown" and "Sleep Timer") and explained in the manual, I think it will not be confusing since they are common features in DAPs like DX90. 

Many thanks for always listening to us.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #756 of 1,977
Thomas, the X5 also has both the sleep and idle shutdown features and they aren't confusing for users of that player.

I recommend you bring back the implementation of a sleep timer and also keep the idle timer.

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #757 of 1,977
  Hi Thomas,

Yes, I meant having both types. 

The DX90 has both types.  The auto shutdown after x minutes of inactivity was to ensure that battery life is retained should one forget to shutdown the DAP.  But I also find that the sleep timer was useful when listening to music at bedtime (truly SLEEP timer).

If I have to choose between the types, yes, I would have chosen the auto shutdown after x minutes of inactivity too.  That will be the more important one. 

But if the naming of the two functions are done properly (like "Auto Shutdown" and "Sleep Timer") and explained in the manual, I think it will not be confusing since they are common features in DAPs like DX90. 

Many thanks for always listening to us.

You are welcome.

For me, this is the most important and valuable work. To understand the needs of the people,we will know the correct implementation and direction in the products.

I will carefully consider your request, and to further expand the model to determine whether toadd this feature.

Apr 20, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #760 of 1,977
  Hi Woogy:

Thank you, my friend.

No Thomas, thank you & thanks to all the replies both here & in private.

I am very grateful to everybody & glad nobody ridiculed me for being new or a novice with these things. I'm a very keen & enthusiastic newbie. This player, the N6 is quite some leap in terms of sound & hardware from the Cowon J3 it's replaced. I did have a Sony NWZ-A17 (a very clinical, unexciting sound to me, too safe) for a very short time but, I sold that along with the J3 & a Cowon Z2 to fund the N6 & based on the sound alone, I couldn't be happier.

And if the manufacturer (Thomas & Cayin) listen to feedback from their customers the way they do, well it can only enhance their relationship with their customers & their reputation & more power to them for that.

I've received some great advice regarding alternatives to the N6, should I not be satisfied (thanks to you all) but, I would desperately like to keep hold of the N6 as I've personally never seen something made so well that feels like quality & the sound more than matches that. I listened to some Johnny Cash, Elvis & Depeche Mode on Saturday & Sunday night, songs I've heard a thousand times & I was hearing things I'd never heard before, sounds I didn't know were there, the rasp of Cash's voice, strings Elvis plucked. My Wife thought I was having some sort of episode just sat their smiling like I had a coat hanger in me mouth !

So, assuming I get the play through function I really need, I will be incredibly happy to keep it & look forward to a summer on me chariot with my new gadget tucked away safely in my pocket supplying the soundtrack to 2015.

Just one more thing Thomas, I understand that Sandisk have announced a 200gb micro sd card that will be released soon, will the capability to use that be included in the future please ?

Thank you Head-Fi.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #761 of 1,977

Hi jk47,

I sold my DX90 a few days after getting the N6; I guess that shows how much I love the N6 over the DX90.

The DX90 was a good implementation of the dual-mobile ESS DAC chip.  It was lightweight and I like the variable line-out (in order to get out of the channel imbalance range of some amps). 

In terms of sound, the N6 was more detailed, airy, and has better imaging.  As such, things sounded more coherent and natural to me, at least for the genres that I often listen to.  I feel that the bass in N6 is more impactful too without being overbearing.  The N6 has taken my few IEMs (Rhapsodio Ref T1, JVC FX850, ATH-IM03) to another level.  It cannot power the HE-560 sufficiently; I will need an external amp for that.

I hope this helps.  (Sorry, I am not good in describing sound.  But I love my N6!)

thanks for the reply.  i think of the dx90 as being neutral in signature.  i haven't heard the x5, but have seen it described as warmer/darker than the dx90.  and i have also seen the n6 described as similar to the x5 in signature, but at a much higher level of performance.  do those descriptions sound right to you?

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #762 of 1,977
thanks for the reply.  i think of the dx90 as being neutral in signature.  i haven't heard the x5, but have seen it described as warmer/darker than the dx90.  and i have also seen the n6 described as similar to the x5 in signature, but at a much higher level of performance.  do those descriptions sound right to you?

Yes, I find that DX90 is neutral. Personally, I remember trying the X5 when it was launched and I preferred the DX90. Maybe it was because the X5 at the shop was not fully burnt in. I can't describe the difference, but I didn't feel connected to the X5 somehow.

I would say that the N6 improved on the good parts of DX90 and made it better in many ways: e.g., clarity, imaging. It would still consider the N6 to be neutral. The bass has more impact and definition, particularly with dynamic IEMs; it might be because the N6 has higher current (?). But I wouldn't consider the N6 to be warmer.

I do miss the user replaceable battery of the DX90 though (I had the original Samsung Japan battery).

I hope this helps.

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #763 of 1,977

Yes, I find that DX90 is neutral. Personally, I remember trying the X5 when it was launched and I preferred the DX90. Maybe it was because the X5 at the shop was not fully burnt in. I can't describe the difference, but I didn't feel connected to the X5 somehow.

I would say that the N6 improved on the good parts of DX90 and made it better in many ways: e.g., clarity, imaging. It would still consider the N6 to be neutral. The bass has more impact and definition, particularly with dynamic IEMs; it might be because the N6 has higher current (?). But I wouldn't consider the N6 to be warmer.

I do miss the user replaceable battery of the DX90 though (I had the original Samsung Japan battery).

I hope this helps.

^ this!  Never listened to DX90 before, but I want to add that after many hours of burn in and in comparison to some other DAPs I have access to (AK120ii, X5, X3ii, AP100, LP5, etc) - I would consider N6 to be more on a neutral-brighter side.  And I do agree, the way how it bring up bass articulation in headphones and IEMs (dynamic or hybrids where you have dynamic driver handling low end) is very impressive.  And the staging is quite wide and airy, a bit less than what you get with C5, but still impressive.  Building on an experience of their portable amps, Cayin did a great job with N6 dap design.  Amplification is not just about boosting the volume level, it's about expanding the sound by breathing a new life into it
wink.gif

As a matter of fact, I'm paying more attention now to manufacturers who are known for their amp designs and now switching to DAPs, examples being Questyle which is about to release their QP1 DAP and LH Labs with upcoming GeekWave.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #764 of 1,977

^ this!  Never listened to DX90 before, but I want to add that after many hours of burn in and in comparison to some other DAPs I have access to (AK120ii, X5, X3ii, AP100, LP5, etc) - I would consider N6 to be more on a neutral-brighter side.  And I do agree, the way how it bring up bass articulation in headphones and IEMs (dynamic or hybrids where you have dynamic driver handling low end) is very impressive.  And the staging is quite wide and airy, a bit less than what you get with C5, but still impressive.  Building on an experience of their portable amps, Cayin did a great job with N6 dap design.  Amplification is not just about boosting the volume level, it's about expanding the sound by breathing a new life into it
wink.gif

As a matter of fact, I'm paying more attention now to manufacturers who are known for their amp designs and now switching to DAPs, examples being Questyle which is about to release their QP1 DAP and LH Labs with upcoming GeekWave.

i very much enjoy my dx90, [and - as taz23 said- appreciate being able to carry a couple of spare charged batteries], but obviously i'm at least considering an upgrade.  i just want to be sure it's really an upgrade.  

thank you again, taz23.

and, like you twister6, i'm waiting eagerly to get impressions of the qp1, qp1r, and geekwave.

Apr 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #765 of 1,977

No Thomas, thank you & thanks to all the replies both here & in private.

I am very grateful to everybody & glad nobody ridiculed me for being new or a novice with these things. I'm a very keen & enthusiastic newbie. This player, the N6 is quite some leap in terms of sound & hardware from the Cowon J3 it's replaced. I did have a Sony NWZ-A17 (a very clinical, unexciting sound to me, too safe) for a very short time but, I sold that along with the J3 & a Cowon Z2 to fund the N6 & based on the sound alone, I couldn't be happier.

And if the manufacturer (Thomas & Cayin) listen to feedback from their customers the way they do, well it can only enhance their relationship with their customers & their reputation & more power to them for that.

I've received some great advice regarding alternatives to the N6, should I not be satisfied (thanks to you all) but, I would desperately like to keep hold of the N6 as I've personally never seen something made so well that feels like quality & the sound more than matches that. I listened to some Johnny Cash, Elvis & Depeche Mode on Saturday & Sunday night, songs I've heard a thousand times & I was hearing things I'd never heard before, sounds I didn't know were there, the rasp of Cash's voice, strings Elvis plucked. My Wife thought I was having some sort of episode just sat their smiling like I had a coat hanger in me mouth !

So, assuming I get the play through function I really need, I will be incredibly happy to keep it & look forward to a summer on me chariot with my new gadget tucked away safely in my pocket supplying the soundtrack to 2015.

Just one more thing Thomas, I understand that Sandisk have announced a 200gb micro sd card that will be released soon, will the capability to use that be included in the future please ?

Thank you Head-Fi.

I can‘’t answer, because this will be the first large capacity SD card, we need to know the results after the test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back