Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Apr 11, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #721 of 1,977
The driver for windows is in the root of the N6 internal memory. it's a zip file.  Keep in mind it only supports DSD 64 as USB DAC at this point.  They are working on enabling DSD 128.
If you go back 3-4 pages on this thread, i compared it against AK240, and N6 holds it own just fine, and infact, has a better sound stage than the AK240 by a healthy portion.  

For Mac, just plug it in and coreaudio will work.  

That's an interesting way to do it, hahaha. Do you know if the N6 handles OS X's hidden files just fine? Long ago I read the Cowon J3 could get bricked if the hidden files were left on it, and the FiiO X5 sometimes froze up when it tried to read the hidden files from my experience.

For OS X, you need special software that supports DSD over PCM in order to play DSD files, such as Audirvana Plus or JRiver Media Center. That is, if the N6 can handle DOP transmission; there's no official word that I can see saying the N6 does DOP, or if native streaming like via ASIO is required.

Otherwise, normal 24/192 PCM files play back just fine without any special software.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #722 of 1,977
  The driver for windows is in the root of the N6 internal memory. it's a zip file.  Keep in mind it only supports DSD 64 as USB DAC at this point.  They are working on enabling DSD 128.
If you go back 3-4 pages on this thread, i compared it against AK240, and N6 holds it own just fine, and infact, has a better sound stage than the AK240 by a healthy portion.  

For Mac, just plug it in and coreaudio will work.  

Thanks for the information. If they advise us what they are using for a usb receiver chip I might be able to save them some trouble and supply a driver that does dsd128. Anyone know what chip they are using, maybe xmos based? That dac is advertised in other hardware to do dsd128 so there are drivers out there for it. Would just need some modification to work on this device.

Correction: It seems this dac can only do dsd 128 in dsd over dop converting to pcm. Not the best solution.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #723 of 1,977
That's an interesting way to do it, hahaha. Do you know if the N6 handles OS X's hidden files just fine? Long ago I read the Cowon J3 could get bricked if the hidden files were left on it, and the FiiO X5 sometimes froze up when it tried to read the hidden files from my experience.

For OS X, you need special software that supports DSD over PCM in order to play DSD files, such as Audirvana Plus or JRiver Media Center. That is, if the N6 can handle DOP transmission; there's no official word that I can see saying the N6 does DOP, or if native streaming like via ASIO is required.

Otherwise, normal 24/192 PCM files play back just fine without any special software.

N6 supports DoP just fine. It's what I use with Audinirvana 2+ and jrmc.   for windows i use N6 with HQ Player.  I don't hide my files so no idea on that.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #724 of 1,977
  Thanks for the information. If they advise us what they are using for a usb receiver chip I might be able to save them some trouble and supply a driver that does dsd128. Anyone know what chip they are using, maybe xmos based? That dac is advertised in other hardware to do dsd128 so there are drivers out there for it. Would just need some modification to work on this device.

Correction: It seems this dac can only do dsd 128 in dsd over dop converting to pcm. Not the best solution.

playing back from the DAP itself the N6 plays DSD128 natively.  as usb dac it supports dop.  dop is simply a wrapper, its not a conversion.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #725 of 1,977

So, @EmpJ messaged me today and it looks like a CTC Audio "Tour de North America" (Canada and the Lower 48 United States) is in the cards for the Cayin N6. We're still ironing out details, but if you're interested in joining the tour, register your interest in this thread by April 15th, agree to the conditions below, and we'll make decisions on a participant list and route at the end of next week.

1) Need to have been a member of Head-Fi since at least the end of 2014.
2) Should have 100 posts or more.
3) Prefer participants who have written reviews in the past and are familiar with the review system.
4) Each participant gets to keep the unit for 7 days, and will then forward it to the next participant at their own cost.
5) Packages must be sent tracked and fully insured (this is not a cheap product).
6) Reviews can appear on the Cayin N6 review thread on the Head Gear page, and we'll start a new Forum thread as well to collect reviews from tour members once they start trickling in.
7) Honour system is king. Don't mess it up for the rest.

Those who've requested to join the tour so far are:

Canada: @peareye, @150dB, @x RELIC x, @Chris J, @Peter West
USA: @Cotnijoe, @alpha421, @nmatheis, @Ivabign, @Barra, @olddude, @shotgunshane

I'll add to this list as requests come in, and will update this post when the tour list is finalized. Cheers.

just pm'd @EmpJ before i got to this post.  sign me up! [u.s.a.]

edit:  just discovered i missed the boat. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #726 of 1,977
I wanted to ask has anyone come from a DAP / portable Amp Setup who now has an N6, how do you like it?  I ask because I am looking to upgrade from an iPod Classic 5g with C5 amp, X1 with e11k (e11k since given away).  

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #727 of 1,977
  edit:  just discovered i missed the boat. 

Sorry about that. We wanted to keep this small so it doesn't drag on forever. Keep your eyes peeled in the late summer as there may be another round announced once this group is almost done. If you're subscribed to this thread, you'll also start seeing review write-ups popping up starting in the next few weeks. Cheers.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #728 of 1,977
150dB here, and I will abide the rules as stated:) Aurora, Ontario, south from Toronto.
Hey Hakushondaimao! What's up brother!! Thanks for the heads up bro! You have my respect my friend!!

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #730 of 1,977
Not before I get my greasy paws on it! Muhahahahaha! :veryevil:

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #731 of 1,977
Guys, you won't be disappointed. One of the best DAP on the market for now.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #732 of 1,977
First of all, im not an open can person. I just auditioned audio tech r70x paired with my n6 ay high gain and 50% volume. Drivable and sounded brillant. The highs were clean sharp, with the wide sound stage of the n6. The 13 amplifiers in there gave good bass, there was impact but it was amazing for an open can. Basically it could drive the r70x rather well :D. One sad fact though, i have an n6 where am i gonna get usd250 for a r70x lol hahaha

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #733 of 1,977
First of all, im not an open can person. I just auditioned audio tech r70x paired with my n6 ay high gain and 50% volume. Drivable and sounded brillant. The highs were clean sharp, with the wide sound stage of the n6. The 13 amplifiers in there gave good bass, there was impact but it was amazing for an open can. Basically it could drive the r70x rather well
biggrin.gif
. One sad fact though, i have an n6 where am i gonna get usd250 for a r70x lol hahaha

That is great to know about ath-r70x pair up with N6.  I'm looking forward to test it soon!

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #734 of 1,977
Looks like we're sharing this one too! 

Lol, didn't think I made the cut... I'll check it out again, but let's hope you can get this one first this time bud, fairness is a good thing, so is :loud_sound::loud_sound::loud_sound::loud_sound:lol
Respects Peareye, and fellow audiophiles alike!
Check out my review of the X3K 2nd Gen. Due out later this evening(I'm just waiting on permission to post my pics and preview video). Anyone talk too Joe Bloggs recently??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back