Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Dec 25, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #151 of 1,977
  Package is nice out of box. Interface is about Hifiman HM-901 fast.
Sounds promising right out of box, but a little rough. After 3 hours of play, sonics cleared up really well. 
First impression, N6 sounds like a Fiio X5 with E12DIY, throw in a good amount of extra clarity, much better natural vocal presentation, imaging and separation. 
Will pair well with earpieces with slight warmth to give it that sweet spot (for me).

First major bug found, charging the N6. Stopped at 70%. 
Did whatever we could still, still stuck at 70%.
Hmmm... how did this get past quality control? 
Hope a new firmware to fix this comes fast.

First impression, not too bad overall, shame about the charging issue, would have given it a very good start. Lets see how fast Cayin reverts with updates.

Very happy, in HEAD-FI see the new user has selected our latest products, thanks ANDY sharing, so that more people know the N6 this DAP.

Well, I will focus on the problem here, and we look forward to sharing, and to answer questions in a timely manner, but my limited English proficiency, I hope this does not affect the exchange.

On the charging N6, because we use the 5600mAh battery, so try to use a relatively large current charger, which will effectively reduce the charging time. At the same time, try to charge off.
Note that, when charging N6 at shutdown, if necessary boot, tap the power button at the top you can boot up, this boot with a little difference.

Thanks again.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #152 of 1,977
Very happy, in HEAD-FI see the new user has selected our latest products, thanks ANDY sharing, so that more people know the N6 this DAP.

Well, I will focus on the problem here, and we look forward to sharing, and to answer questions in a timely manner, but my limited English proficiency, I hope this does not affect the exchange.

On the charging N6, because we use the 5600mAh battery, so try to use a relatively large current charger, which will effectively reduce the charging time. At the same time, try to charge off.
Note that, when charging N6 at shutdown, if necessary boot, tap the power button at the top you can boot up, this boot with a little difference.

Thanks again.

Hi Thomas,

I'm coming from HK, do you have Wechat or others contact? I have few questions want your help

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #153 of 1,977

Thanks again.

Hi Thomas,

Been waiting for the N6 for months. 
biggrin.gif

The Cayin N6 looks much better in real life than in the pictures.
Also, very solid built quality. Feels like a tank, and not as heavy as i expected.
Sound quality wise from early impressions is very promising. Am sure with more play time, they will sound even better.

Tried a 1A charger and it took about 10 hours to achieve 26% charge level (red light flashing, 3 short blink, 1 long blink). 
Switched to a 4.5A charger, and in 5 hours, the battery stayed at 70% without increasing the charge.
This was with the N6 fully switched off. Rotated with other charges, the battery charge meter stayed at 70% (solid red light, instead of flashing). Will monitor the player for a while to see if the battery meter will fix itself.

Another thing is the font size and font type, on the display, makes reading the text harder. After exploring the settings, there's no way to increase the font size to more readable levels. Hope the next firmware update will give user option to change font size at least.

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #154 of 1,977

Hi Thomas,

biggrin.gif

Also, very solid built quality. Feels like a tank, and not as heavy as i expected.
Sound quality wise from early impressions is very promising. Am sure with more play time, they will sound even better.

Tried a 1A charger and it took about 10 hours to achieve 26% charge level (red light flashing, 3 short blink, 1 long blink). 
Switched to a 4.5A charger, and in 5 hours, the battery stayed at 70% without increasing the charge.
This was with the N6 fully switched off. Rotated with other charges, the battery charge meter stayed at 70% (solid red light, instead of flashing). Will monitor the player for a while to see if the battery meter will fix itself.

Another thing is the font size and font type, on the display, makes reading the text harder. After exploring the settings, there's no way to increase the font size to more readable levels. Hope the next firmware update will give user option to change font size at least.

At the bottom there is a RESET N6 holes, I think, you should use this function once, and then see what happens.

About the size of the font, yes, this will be our next firmware update, but I'm not sure need several different font sizes in N6 inside because it will occupy the resources and affect the speed. I will give my consulting engineers and clear to give back.

Thank you for waiting, hoping everything is perfect.

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #155 of 1,977
  At the bottom there is a RESET N6 holes, I think, you should use this function once, and then see what happens.

About the size of the font, yes, this will be our next firmware update, but I'm not sure need several different font sizes in N6 inside because it will occupy the resources and affect the speed. I will give my consulting engineers and clear to give back.

Thank you for waiting, hoping everything is perfect.

Thanks for the fast reply, Thomas 
smile.gif

Yup. Saw the reset hole. Will try to give the N6 another round of charge after the current burn in.
Will update if it works.

For the font size, maybe 1 or 2 size increase will do, to help make the words more readable.
Skip the option to have different sizes. Resources keep to maintaining current speed (which is fast enough for navigation).

For Cayin's first effort into portable music player, i have commend the team for an outstanding job well done.
The team got all the fundamental parts of an audiophile player right. That is great built quality, and great sound quality. 

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #156 of 1,977
Well, the N6 has a function called Music Category, but it is nothing close to the tag navigation offered by ipod. The player will generate several predefined list, such as my favorites, recently played, album by title (tag), artist by name (tag), gnere by type (tag), and all songs since last library update. I hardly find it useful as-is, unless Cayin will take a deep breath to rework the logic from scratch.

In fact, I do not aware if there is anything as good as ipod among the Chinese DAP. Maybe there is something from the Korean lineup but I am not familiar with them.

Dear Andy, thanks for clearing that up. One more question: Does n6 support imbedded album art or does it need album art as a separate file in the folder? thanks in advance.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #157 of 1,977
Well, the N6 has a function called Music Category, but it is nothing close to the tag navigation offered by ipod. The player will generate several predefined list, such as my favorites, recently played, album by title (tag), artist by name (tag), gnere by type (tag), and all songs since last library update. I hardly find it useful as-is, unless Cayin will take a deep breath to rework the logic from scratch.

In fact, I do not aware if there is anything as good as ipod among the Chinese DAP. Maybe there is something from the Korean lineup but I am not familiar with them.

Dear Andy, thanks for clearing that up. One more question: Does n6 support imbedded album art or does it need album art as a separate file in the folder? thanks in advance.

N6 support embedded album art, I have copied the 10 songs I used in previous impression audition into one assorted folder, and N6 can display all the album art alright.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 25, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #158 of 1,977

Hi Thomas,

biggrin.gif

Just curious, 4.5A charger?  At was voltage?  Typically smartphone/tablet chargers shouldn't exceed 2.4A per port.  Some latest chargers use SmartIC regulator to source up to 2.4A depending on your device's charging speed.  So I'm wondering if you are using a multi-usb port charger with a total combined capacity of 4.5A where individual port can't provide 2A.  Another suggestion, beside Thomas' recommendation to reset the dap, is to go through a few charging cycles for a battery to get a proper calibration.  It's very common for high capacity smartphone extended batteries to report incorrect percentage until a few calibration cycles.

Can't wait to be able to join you guys with my N6 impressions
wink.gif

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #160 of 1,977

Just curious, 4.5A charger?  At was voltage?  Typically smartphone/tablet chargers shouldn't exceed 2.4A per port.  Some latest chargers use SmartIC regulator to source up to 2.4A depending on your device's charging speed.  So I'm wondering if you are using a multi-usb port charger with a total combined capacity of 4.5A where individual port can't provide 2A.  Another suggestion, beside Thomas' recommendation to reset the dap, is to go through a few charging cycles for a battery to get a proper calibration.  It's very common for high capacity smartphone extended batteries to report incorrect percentage until a few calibration cycles.

Can't wait to be able to join you guys with my N6 impressions
wink.gif

Hi Twister6,

It's actually the OPPO Rapid charger for their smartphones. Rated at 4.5A, 240V.

Makes the rest of the mobile phone charges seem puny. 
biggrin.gif

And after the 3rd charge, the battery meter tops at 87%.
Tried the reset button, still showing as 87%.
However, noticed that at 2% battery left, the player continued to play like a pro for another 2 hours before taking a break.

Reckon it is the battery meter reading that requires some software updates for accuracy. 

First charge after out of box, gave me about under 7 hours of continuous usage. That's very decent.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #161 of 1,977

Hi Twister6,

It's actually the OPPO Rapid charger for their smartphones. Rated at 4.5A, 240V.

Makes the rest of the mobile phone charges seem puny. 
biggrin.gif

And after the 3rd charge, the battery meter tops at 87%.
Tried the reset button, still showing as 87%.
However, noticed that at 2% battery left, the player continued to play like a pro for another 2 hours before taking a break.

Reckon it is the battery meter reading that requires some software updates for accuracy. 

First charge after out of box, gave me about under 7 hours of continuous usage. That's very decent.

4.5A/240V that's your AC side of wall charger, while DC side should be 5V at 2A.  For sure it sounds like a battery capacity reading issue, while perhaps the actual battery charging is correct.  I would try another 2A charger, if you have it.  Otherwise, let's wait for more people to chime in with their first impressions to see if it's a common battery reading issue (fw?) or an isolated case with your unit.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #162 of 1,977

4.5A/240V that's your AC side of wall charger, while DC side should be 5V at 2A.  For sure it sounds like a battery capacity reading issue, while perhaps the actual battery charging is correct.  I would try another 2A charger, if you have it.  Otherwise, let's wait for more people to chime in with their first impressions to see if it's a common battery reading issue (fw?) or an isolated case with your unit.

Will give the other chargers a try along the way. 
Do hope it's just my unit that's giving the readings off.

Hope to read more impressions to come.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #163 of 1,977

Will give the other chargers a try along the way. 
Do hope it's just my unit that's giving the readings off.

Hope to read more impressions to come.

Damn, they got their own rapid charger, uh?  Now I see what you mean!  Definitely not the same as Rapid Charger implemented on my Note 4 (9V/1.67A).  This could be part of the problem where it charges too fast, so I would still recommend trying it out with a standard 5V/2A charger.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #164 of 1,977

Damn, they got their own rapid charger, uh?  Now I see what you mean!  Definitely not the same as Rapid Charger implemented on my Note 4 (9V/1.67A).  This could be part of the problem where it charges too fast, so I would still recommend trying it out with a standard 5V/2A charger.

Will give a try and report back on it.

Another nagging issue with the N6, is that nasty POP sound at the start of play and when powering down the player. 
As nostalgic as it gets (coming from a previous ibasso DX100 user), it is a concern for very sensitive iem ears. 
Suggest to press play and then plug them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back