Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Dec 22, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #136 of 1,977
Have checked with the Engineer of Cayin, they stated that N6 can output DoP via coaxial but limited to 2.8M only.

I have the production unit with me, but I won't be able to connect the player to my home system until weekend, will keep you informed if I failed to achieve this, otherwise you can assume the DoP via Coaxial is working.

Thanks for finding out this info.

Its a pity that it doesn't support dsd 128. I wonder if this is a technology limitation or just hardware implementation. In any case, its still decent that they support dsd 64.

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #139 of 1,977
Perhaps one day we will see that day arrive. Till then, am perfectly fine with folder navigation of albums and songs (well trained using a Fiio X5 and Hifiman HM-901). To some extent, it is straightforward and easy to use too.

If you can take folder navigation, then X5 and N6 are quite fluently in my opinion, HM-901 and DX100 are definitely far from satisfactory.

I have urged Cayin to add sub-folder playback in N6, but they said the implementation is quite complicated, lets hope they find the right person to implement that promptly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #140 of 1,977

Its a pity that it doesn't support dsd 128. I wonder if this is a technology limitation or just hardware implementation. In any case, its still decent that they support dsd 64.

Yes, DoP from coaxial can't handle DSD 128 for the moment. I have a feeling that this the limitation of the MCU, if that is the case, we probably will have to live with this limitation for quite a while.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #141 of 1,977
Yes they are already selling. I got mine from www.digital852.com, took about 4-5 days to arrive to me.

You got your N6 already? In North America? That's quick, did they send out the package from Hong Kong or from China direct?

Finally I am not the only ear get t hear N6, that's wonderful indeed.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #142 of 1,977
If you can take folder navigation, then X5 and N6 are quite fluently in my opinion, HM-901 and DX100 are definitely far from satisfactory.

I have urged Cayin to add sub-folder playback in N6, but they said the implementation is quite complicated, lets hope they find the right person to implement that promptly.

Indeed. Agree on the degree of folder navigation for those devices.

Looking forward to the arrival of the N6 soon.
smile.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #143 of 1,977
Hello, Andy! Could you, please, write a couple of lines about your impressions of N6 commercial sample? 

From the article (http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard) it appears to be a complex problem of existing hardware utilization and software algorithms implementation on both N6 as a transmitter and on the receiving DACs. If the digital output bandwidth of N6 is limited to 24 bit/192 kHz there is an alternative way of transmitting the DSD x128 data (as the article says, DSD x64 data transmission using a "conventional" DoP algorithm requires 24 bit/176.4 kHz capable bandwidth and DSD x128 requires 24 bit/352.8kHz correspondingly) contained in the specially marked PCM packets. But this alternative algorithm must be implemented at both Cayin N6 and receiving DAC software levels.  

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #144 of 1,977
Hello, Andy! Could you, please, write a couple of lines about your impressions of N6 commercial sample? 
From the article (http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard) it appears to be a complex problem of existing hardware utilization and software algorithms implementation on both N6 as a transmitter and on the receiving DACs. If the digital output bandwidth of N6 is limited to 24 bit/192 kHz there is an alternative way of transmitting the DSD x128 data (as the article says, DSD x64 data transmission using a "conventional" DoP algorithm requires 24 bit/176.4 kHz capable bandwidth and DSD x128 requires 24 bit/[COLOR=121212]352.8kHz correspondingly[/COLOR]) contained in the specially marked PCM packets. But this alternative algorithm must be implemented at both Cayin N6 and receiving DAC software levels.  

Thanks for the technical explanation.

I guess this may only be implemented if there is more demand for it.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #145 of 1,977
My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but does the n6 support tag navigation? I'm used to that with the years of ipod domination and not too keen to switch over to folder navigation.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #146 of 1,977
From the article (http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard) it appears to be a complex problem of existing hardware utilization and software algorithms implementation on both N6 as a transmitter and on the receiving DACs. If the digital output bandwidth of N6 is limited to 24 bit/192 kHz there is an alternative way of transmitting the DSD x128 data (as the article says, DSD x64 data transmission using a "conventional" DoP algorithm requires 24 bit/176.4 kHz capable bandwidth and DSD x128 requires 24 bit/[COLOR=121212]352.8kHz correspondingly[/COLOR]) contained in the specially marked PCM packets. But this alternative algorithm must be implemented at both Cayin N6 and receiving DAC software levels.  

If that's why N6 DoP can only support DSD64, then we pretty much need to settle by that. Too bad, that's a small limitation we need to decide if we can live with.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #147 of 1,977
My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but does the n6 support tag navigation? I'm used to that with the years of ipod domination and not too keen to switch over to folder navigation.

Well, the N6 has a function called Music Category, but it is nothing close to the tag navigation offered by ipod. The player will generate several predefined list, such as my favorites, recently played, album by title (tag), artist by name (tag), gnere by type (tag), and all songs since last library update. I hardly find it useful as-is, unless Cayin will take a deep breath to rework the logic from scratch.

In fact, I do not aware if there is anything as good as ipod among the Chinese DAP. Maybe there is something from the Korean lineup but I am not familiar with them.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #148 of 1,977
Package is nice out of box. Interface is about Hifiman HM-901 fast.
Sounds promising right out of box, but a little rough. After 3 hours of play, sonics cleared up really well. 
First impression, N6 sounds like a Fiio X5 with E12DIY, throw in a good amount of extra clarity, much better natural vocal presentation, imaging and separation. 
Will pair well with earpieces with slight warmth to give it that sweet spot (for me).

First major bug found, charging the N6. Stopped at 70%. 
Did whatever we could still, still stuck at 70%.
Hmmm... how did this get past quality control? 
Hope a new firmware to fix this comes fast.

First impression, not too bad overall, shame about the charging issue, would have given it a very good start. Lets see how fast Cayin reverts with updates.

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #149 of 1,977
Package is nice out of box. Interface is about Hifiman HM-901 fast.
Sounds promising right out of box, but a little rough. After 3 hours of play, sonics cleared up really well. 
First impression, N6 sounds like a Fiio X5 with E12DIY, throw in a good amount of extra clarity, much better natural vocal presentation, imaging and separation. 
Will pair well with earpieces with slight warmth to give it that sweet spot (for me).

First major bug found, charging the N6. Stopped at 70%. 
Did whatever we could still, still stuck at 70%.
Hmmm... how did this get past quality control? 
Hope a new firmware to fix this comes fast.

First impression, not too bad overall, shame about the charging issue, would have given it a very good start. Lets see how fast Cayin reverts with updates.

Maybe that's not a bud, N6 always give priority to music playing, so If you are playing while charging, or something like that, the batter meter of N6 will not responding very well..

Unless I have to listening while charging, I'll turn off the N6 while I charge, N6 main screen will become a big battery meter and you can read the battery count clearly, and that is the accurate and real-time reading while charing.

So care to share when you go your N6 from? I believe several brothers will be interested at your arrangement.

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #150 of 1,977
Maybe that's not a bud, N6 always give priority to music playing, so If you are playing while charging, or something like that, the batter meter of N6 will not responding very well..

Unless I have to listening while charging, I'll turn off the N6 while I charge, N6 main screen will become a big battery meter and you can read the battery count clearly, and that is the accurate and real-time reading while charing.

So care to share when you go your N6 from? I believe several brothers will be interested at your arrangement.

The N6 was fully turned off during charging. So the charging issue is quite a concern.

Got the unit through taobao, through one of Cayin's registered retailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back