Cayin n5ii
Dec 20, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #61 of 77
Cayin is using beta tester, but even that is not enough.

You have to consider that having someone able able to write software and/or modify the android OS it's not easy at all, considering that the hardware is different from dap to dap, and very expensive too.

I've never been a big fan of the android OS, starting with the smartphone to the DAP.
I prefer an OS that just play music, i really love the WM1 os but only a company like Sony can invest in a different OS, all the small companies have to come compromise.
When I use the dx200 I go straight to the mango os, I really don't care about Wifi, bluetooth, and streaming music, but this is just me and may be I'm getting old :ksc75smile:!

I work in automotive, and I'm sure anybody who owned a car has been involve in a recall campaign to fix some defective components, and it's happening more and more since the electronic is increasing, and the necessity of reducing costs.

DX200 really nailed the firmware - I wonder how N5ii is actually, because Cayin has some good experience by now. I think their N5ii can be really good actually, but until having one I cannot say much about how it acts.

I am also much more concerned about the basic abilities it has rather than wifi and other bells and whistles.

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #62 of 77
I've had the N5 mkii for a few days now, it's had a few quirky things happen, like the music will randomly stop, but not anything too annoying. Overall, I'm really liking it coming from the Shanling M2. The android stuff is slow compared to my phone, but manageable. I didn't hear about the usb not working - i'll give it a try, i've been using the coax out. If there's anything you want to know about it, let me know.

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #63 of 77
I’ve had the N5ii become unwakeable after a track ends. And I’ve had it quit in the middle of a song once or twice.

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #64 of 77
yes, there was once it didn't respond at all, I thought the battery was dead. I think I plugged it in to get it to wake up - I'm not sure if there's a way to reset it. When i first got it, the screws on the bottom were loose and one of them was even unscrewed a little, that was a little concerning :) and it didn't come with a manual, which is strange. I bought it from musicteck, i'm assuming there's some kind of warranty.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #65 of 77
I have a question about the volume wheel that's probably a little unusual.

The volume wheel seems pretty big, is there any chance of accidentally changing the volume when putting the dap in/taking it out of a jeans pocket? I wear pretty skinny jeans (teenager here).
Am I worrying about nothing, or should I rather look for a dap with volume buttons? Would also be nice to know if it's possible to turn the volume wheel a little through the jeans, without having to reach into the pretty tight pocket :p

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #66 of 77

The volume wheel seems pretty big, is there any chance of accidentally changing the volume when putting the dap in/taking it out of a jeans pocket? I wear pretty skinny jeans (teenager here).
Am I worrying about nothing, or should I rather look for a dap with volume buttons? Would also be nice to know if it's possible to turn the volume wheel a little through the jeans, without having to reach into the pretty tight pocket :p

No, the wheel is well protected by and has some resistance, almost impossible to change the volume accidentally.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #67 of 77

Everyone has there own set of standards, and that's pretty practical. I don't wear pants like that, but I doubt the wheel would spin, maybe a little, because it has that metal around the wheel that I think is there to prevent accidental volume turns. I was able to turn the wheel and get the volume to adjust with it in my front pocket, but it doesn't turn easily and you kind have to push it a little at a time, it's a little finicky, but it can be done. I was able to go up and down. Buttons might be easier, but if they're on the side they might be hard to reach, and if there in front, couldn't they accidentally be pressed? This seems pretty ideal for the through-the-jeans-control actually since it's so hard to turn but can be done.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #68 of 77
Everyone has there own set of standards, and that's pretty practical. I don't wear pants like that, but I doubt the wheel would spin, maybe a little, because it has that metal around the wheel that I think is there to prevent accidental volume turns. I was able to turn the wheel and get the volume to adjust with it in my front pocket, but it doesn't turn easily and you kind have to push it a little at a time, it's a little finicky, but it can be done. I was able to go up and down. Buttons might be easier, but if they're on the side they might be hard to reach, and if there in front, couldn't they accidentally be pressed? This seems pretty ideal for the through-the-jeans-control actually since it's so hard to turn but can be done.

As an aside, I think the volume control could have a little better feel to it, could have more feed back. There's a mechanical click when you turn it, but it doesn't seem like the clicks relate to the digital volume steps, it's more how fast you turn it. I use line out most of the time so it doesn't really matter for me. There's also the touch screen to change volume.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #69 of 77
Thanks guys! I won't be worrying anymore then :)
Was leaning a little towards the X7 mk2 because of this, but now I'll have the n5ii as my top choice if I don't find a REALLY good deal on the X7.

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #70 of 77
Maybe after a few more people get it we could have some feedback on the use of the dual mSD card slots. That has been an issue with the X5 III. One of the main reasons why some people experienced force closes of the music app when trying to skip tracks when the DAP screen was off.

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #71 of 77
Maybe after a few more people get it we could have some feedback on the use of the dual mSD card slots. That has been an issue with the X5 III. One of the main reasons why some people experienced force closes of the music app when trying to skip tracks when the DAP screen was off.
I have not experienced this yet, but I don't skip tracks much, I use the pause button though.

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #72 of 77
As another chip is used to mount the 2nd card as RK3188 doesn't natively support it, it could be possible that Cayin chose to go with a chip (for the lack of knowledge of the technical term) with a faster wake up rate. I don't im just thinking out aloud. However if that issue doesn't occur here then kudos to Cayin for getting that right.

Dec 24, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #74 of 77
Ah, so this is an issue related to using the 2nd sd card slot - i have not used the second slot yet. I'm running out of space on my card, so a second card might be in the near future.
Yes AFAIK it's the 2nd card slot.

Dec 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #75 of 77
The Cayin i5 costs 100 EUR more than the N5 II, I had always thought the N series to be the flagship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back