Cayin n5ii
Nov 1, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #34 of 77
My $0.02

1) Get rid of that ugly gold knob

2) Make the whole player 4 shades darker

3) Dont listen to anyone about supposed "redundant" screen/side buttons. Redundancy is a good thing for usability. I don't want to have to yank it out of my pocket when I want to change tracks. (Unless you'd like to include a BT remote)

4) The "chin" should be on the bottom with the volume and outputs. The top should be for charging. The empty space on the bottom chin would also make a great place for track change buttons... if you were so inclined.

5) The knob should do more than just volume.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #35 of 77
My $0.02

1) Get rid of that ugly gold knob

2) Make the whole player 4 shades darker

3) Dont listen to anyone about supposed "redundant" screen/side buttons. Redundancy is a good thing for usability. I don't want to have to yank it out of my pocket when I want to change tracks. (Unless you'd like to include a BT remote)

4) The "chin" should be on the bottom with the volume and outputs. The top should be for charging. The empty space on the bottom chin would also make a great place for track change buttons... if you were so inclined.

5) The knob should do more than just volume.

I don't know how to feel about the volume wheel, I kinda got used to having volume wheels, coming from any other DAP, that is natural.

Having more buttons is not a bad idea, helps pocketed usage!

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #36 of 77
I don't know how to feel about the volume wheel, I kinda got used to having volume wheels, coming from any other DAP, that is natural.

Having more buttons is not a bad idea, helps pocketed usage!

What I meant was.... having the volume wheel also function as a selection wheel in folder view when you are actually IN a track list or folder view. (Similar to the Shanling M2S. But, they could just add a secondary wheel on the other side that does that.) But I'm not AS concerned about that. The side track buttons should work fine. It's mainly just the "chin" being on top instead of the bottom that bothers me.

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #37 of 77
What I meant was.... having the volume wheel also function as a selection wheel in folder view when you are actually IN a track list or folder view. (Similar to the Shanling M2S. But, they could just add a secondary wheel on the other side that does that.) But I'm not AS concerned about that. The side track buttons should work fine. It's mainly just the "chin" being on top instead of the bottom that bothers me.

I see now what you mean!

Personal experience, FiiO X7mkii has the headphone port on bottom and the buttons are made in such a way that the next track is placed with the head towards bottom.

This makes me hold it many times upside down, especially if I'm not suing the screen

Maybe this info helps some people

The main reason you see that as something unwanted is because it usually is the other way around, but from experience, if the device is not too wide and not too long, it can still give good ergonomics. Will seem strange at first, but totally can be done!

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #38 of 77
I just want the screen to face me when I have it plugged into my computer without the wire in my way and the headphone jack facing me and when its in my pocket to be able to change tracks and adjust volume from the side that's facing me. Also I don't want the top to be heavy because it may fall out of my hand when Im using the touchscreen.

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #39 of 77

I think it boils down to one’s personal preference ultimately.
I prefer to have a dedicated volume wheel like Cayin here as volume can be controlled even if you are not in ‘ ‘ ‘now playing’ screen. I like to turn the volume down a bit before selecting a track from a different directory to avoid any surprise. Aune M2 works as you described and I find it very annoying. Just my 2 cents.

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #40 of 77
I think it boils down to one’s personal preference ultimately.
I prefer to have a dedicated volume wheel like Cayin here as volume can be controlled even if you are not in ‘ ‘ ‘now playing’ screen. I like to turn the volume down a bit before selecting a track from a different directory to avoid any surprise. Aune M2 works as you described and I find it very annoying. Just my 2 cents.

That makes sense. However, it could have two dedicated wheels. One just for volume. (But both accessable from the headphone out side.)

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #41 of 77
this is definitely very ergonomic with connectors above (for pocket use)

I might be in the minority on this topic, but I actually find that DAPs and phones are easier to keep and use in a pants pocket when the headphone jack is on the bottom. I tend to put devices in my pocket upside down because that's how my hand is holding them when it's inverted. Anyone else find that top-mounted headphone jacks are worse in the pocket?

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #42 of 77
I might be in the minority on this topic, but I actually find that DAPs and phones are easier to keep and use in a pants pocket when the headphone jack is on the bottom. I tend to put devices in my pocket upside down because that's how my hand is holding them when it's inverted. Anyone else find that top-mounted headphone jacks are worse in the pocket?

Yes. Got both and far prefer the one on the bottom.

Nov 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #43 of 77
Definitely. Cayin i5 is an exception to me though since I can control the volume knob in pocket but i have to flip it around to control the UI otherwise

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #44 of 77
Today Cayin N5II is officially released, at least at mainland China.
There is official notification at Cayin web page and now you can buy it at tmall/taobao for 2399RMB (about $363).
Default set contains silicone case, for set with leather one need to add $15,

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #45 of 77
This is the only thing on my xmas list this year! Up for pre-order in the US on Musicteck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back