Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 18, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #3,286 of 4,108
Is there a way to reverse a firmware update?

I updated my N5ii recently and the battery is terrible now. Goes from 100-0% idle in a couple of days without even using it. I never experienced this before.

Hi, we have already confirmed the reason of this bug and will fix it in the next firmware. Sorry for the inconvenience currently and you can turn off the N5ii manually instead of leaving it idle to avoid this problem. By the way, please be noted that N5ii firmware CANNOT be reversed to the previous version and this is an Andriod system problem.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 18, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #3,287 of 4,108
Hi, we have already confirmed the reason of this bug and will fix it in the next firmware. Sorry for the inconvenience currently and you can turn off the N5ii manually instead of leaving it idle to avoid this problem. By the way, please be noted that N5ii firmware CANNOT be reversed to the previous version and this is an Andriod system problem.

So, any roadmap for future firmware, when etc?

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #3,288 of 4,108
I am sorry to write it here. After using Cayin C5, Cayin N3 I had huge expectation on my Cayin N5 II. Obviously, it was up to my expectation in sound quality, but it didn't match the reliability expectation. I never had issue with Cayin N3 or C5. I bought Cayin N5 II back in January 2018 from the authorized seller in India "Headphonezone". We have to pay some premium in India compared to US price(around 50$ premium over MSRP) due to taxes. After couple of months, there was black spots on screen. I immediately contacted Headphonezone and they replaced the unit within couple of weeks. Things were good until last week. Now there is some colour problem on screen. I contacted the seller and they have asked me ship it to them, hopefully they will replace it again. But the warranty will expire soon and I am afraid how long it will last before some new problem appears. Maybe I am one of the unlucky users, but I expect the problem once, not twice within a year. I request Cayin to please take look on QC, so that N5IIs doesn't suffer from this. It is hard, but probably I will find it difficult to buy another Cayin product for me or suggesting it to someone else.

64g1Tyab_o.jpg
g0gZ12Ty_o.jpg
k1k0qvIG_o.jpg
E9sWQmNx_o.jpg
tDgYxFtP_o.jpg

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #3,289 of 4,108
That’s pretty awful. Aside from my battery issues I haven’t had any problems with my N5ii. SQ is great, especially balanced. I hope you get your screen issue fixed. I never experienced that colour before.

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #3,292 of 4,108
Is there a better workaround to the Google Play has stopped working -issue? Or better yet, an actual fix. I installed the apk suggested in an earlier post which fixed the issue. For a while, as now it's back.

I'm ready to throw this POS out the window and swear Cayin off forever. Not sure I want to even sell this away, as someone else would have to deal with this awful UX.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #3,293 of 4,108
I am sorry to write it here. After using Cayin C5, Cayin N3 I had huge expectation on my Cayin N5 II. Obviously, it was up to my expectation in sound quality, but it didn't match the reliability expectation. I never had issue with Cayin N3 or C5. I bought Cayin N5 II back in January 2018 from the authorized seller in India "Headphonezone". We have to pay some premium in India compared to US price(around 50$ premium over MSRP) due to taxes. After couple of months, there was black spots on screen. I immediately contacted Headphonezone and they replaced the unit within couple of weeks. Things were good until last week. Now there is some colour problem on screen. I contacted the seller and they have asked me ship it to them, hopefully they will replace it again. But the warranty will expire soon and I am afraid how long it will last before some new problem appears. Maybe I am one of the unlucky users, but I expect the problem once, not twice within a year. I request Cayin to please take look on QC, so that N5IIs doesn't suffer from this. It is hard, but probably I will find it difficult to buy another Cayin product for me or suggesting it to someone else.

64g1Tyab_o.jpg
g0gZ12Ty_o.jpg
k1k0qvIG_o.jpg
E9sWQmNx_o.jpg
tDgYxFtP_o.jpg

That’s pretty awful. Aside from my battery issues I haven’t had any problems with my N5ii. SQ is great, especially balanced. I hope you get your screen issue fixed. I never experienced that colour before.

Man, I have the same issue with orange-to-blueish color sometimes on my N5ii. It just goes away after 1+ reboots. And yes, the DAP is sooo problematic, it's just crazy. Be strong! )
This is actually the easiest issue to fix. Sometimes a simple screen on-off will return it to normal.

It's not a new issue by the way.

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #3,294 of 4,108
Is there a better workaround to the Google Play has stopped working -issue? Or better yet, an actual fix. I installed the apk suggested in an earlier post which fixed the issue. For a while, as now it's back.

I'm ready to throw this POS out the window and swear Cayin off forever. Not sure I want to even sell this away, as someone else would have to deal with this awful UX.
Does uninstall ing play store updates work?

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #3,297 of 4,108
My n5ii arrived today and my dm6 iems. Fancied some elvis wav files. Sounds incredible

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #3,298 of 4,108
My n5ii arrived today and my dm6 iems. Fancied some elvis wav files. Sounds incredible

Sounds like a great beginner-mid-fi combo in this hobby.

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #3,299 of 4,108
I also own a wm1a and ak se100 and sound wise the gap from n5ii to those two isn't as big as people may think. The UI is a different matter though. It's not bad but the other two have fantastic UI. This dap is my out and about set up

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #3,300 of 4,108
I dunno about jack issues. I use both the 2.5 and 3.5 jacks and everything has been just fine so far. I know its possible to improve on the Cayin N5II but everything above that is going to be incrementally better not hugely better. It really is that good.

By the way I am not a review shill; I paid for my unit. There are a few regular reviewers that I no longer can trust; I have been sorely disappointed with some highly touted units that turned out to be crap that were highly plugged here by professional reviewers. Unlikely to trust reviews from some of those bad boys out there going forward.
Actually, could you let me know which devices you have heard good reviews for but ended disappointed? I trust your views as my Cayin arrived today and it's sound is not that far off real top tier stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back