Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 14, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #3,271 of 4,108
Brilliant thankyou. What iems do you use with it?

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #3,272 of 4,108
My favorite match so far are the FLC8S and 8D; in both balanced and regular mode. But I have also enjoyed the unit with the iBasso IT01, LZ-A2, and the oldie but goodie Zero Audio Carbo Tenore. I have not yet thrown a single IEM or over the ear at this that disappointed.

Also, I think Andy and Silvia (spelling?) are providing excellent support. To their credit, I think Shanling has also upped their game in the last year or so. The unit that over time will have great promise in my view is the Shaling M5S but I have not heard that either.

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #3,273 of 4,108
I had 2.5mm jack issues on my first unit, but that was an early production unit and failed within warranty so it was fixed. I believe all N5ii units are fixed now, N5iis doesn't have the issue at all .

Dec 14, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #3,274 of 4,108
I dunno about jack issues. I use both the 2.5 and 3.5 jacks and everything has been just fine so far. I know its possible to improve on the Cayin N5II but everything above that is going to be incrementally better not hugely better. It really is that good./QUOTE]

I believe they improved the soldering on the jack from the first couple of runs, so the jack shouldn't fail immediately.

But the 3.5mm jack is clearly made of plastic and is of inferior quality. After 8 months mine is already considerably looser than new, and I can't see it last for many more years. There are others on this thread who've had their jack fail after a few months. I try to minimize insertions to maximize the life of the device.

Yet another cost cutting measure on a supposedly premium device, with embarrassing (for Cayin) results.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #3,278 of 4,108
Matter of interest is the n5iis much improved over n5ii?

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #3,279 of 4,108
I dunno about jack issues. I use both the 2.5 and 3.5 jacks and everything has been just fine so far. I know its possible to improve on the Cayin N5II but everything above that is going to be incrementally better not hugely better. It really is that good.

By the way I am not a review shill; I paid for my unit. There are a few regular reviewers that I no longer can trust; I have been sorely disappointed with some highly touted units that turned out to be crap that were highly plugged here by professional reviewers. Unlikely to trust reviews from some of those bad boys out there going forward.
Agreed. I've tried out many different daps since I bought my N5ii and you will need to spend 3-4 times it's price (original ~$350 price) to get noticeably better sound. The iBasso DX200 with AMP 8 would be the cheapest upgrade path at about a grand. The DX150 doesn't quite cut it.

What daps were you disappointed by if I may ask?

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #3,280 of 4,108
Sound wise, the difference is very small with the N5iiS being a small bit warmer.

Smoothness wise the N5iiS feels snappier but it still has the occasional hiccups like on the N5ii.

It's heavier if you like a solid feeling dap but I like my things as light as possible.

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #3,281 of 4,108
They looked so good together 2018-12-16 11.51.42 1.jpg

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #3,282 of 4,108
Sound wise, the difference is very small with the N5iiS being a small bit warmer.

Smoothness wise the N5iiS feels snappier but it still has the occasional hiccups like on the N5ii.

It's heavier if you like a solid feeling dap but I like my things as light as possible.

having 64gb internal storage in the N5iiS is a big advantage for Spotify

Dec 16, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #3,283 of 4,108

having 64gb internal storage in the N5iiS is a big advantage for Spotify

The better screen plus twice the RAM clearly also count regarding the n5iis improvements.

My 2c :wink:

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #3,284 of 4,108
Is there a way to reverse a firmware update?

I updated my N5ii recently and the battery is terrible now. Goes from 100-0% idle in a couple of days without even using it. I never experienced this before.

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #3,285 of 4,108
Is there a way to reverse a firmware update?

I updated my N5ii recently and the battery is terrible now. Goes from 100-0% idle in a couple of days without even using it. I never experienced this before.

Yes, just use the same install process but install an old version.

Edit: nevermind, cayin stated you can’t revert back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back