Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 8, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #3,017 of 4,108
Ok Based on seanwee's suggestion I did a test:
Note all names copy pasted from actual album tags to avoid typo's

Step 1: Delete all albums of the 'Blank & Jones" Album series from my memory card
Step 2: Factory reset and wiped cache partition followed by a reboot
Step 3: Rescanned cards to verify all albums are indeed deleted.
Step 4: Edited two of the album title tags as follows: "Blank & Jones present So80s (SoEighties) 01" to "Blank01" and "Blank & Jones present So80s (SoEighties) 02" to "Blank02"
Step 5: Copies both albums back to the memory card
Step 6: Repeated step 2 & rescanned the cards

Result both albums are now sorted under one Album title, what the love ... pardon my English but there must be a user defined field in my tags.

I will investigate and report back.
So my hunch was correct?

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #3,018 of 4,108
Oct 8, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #3,019 of 4,108
IMG_3898.jpg
So my hunch was correct?
Well it's strange as you can see both albums are sorted under the same title (85 tracks) it shows a title that should not be there so I suspect this is an issue with hidden tags. Need to investigate...

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #3,020 of 4,108

Well it's strange as you can see both albums are sorted under the same title (85 tracks) it shows a title that should not be there so I suspect this is an issue with hidden tags. Need to investigate...

Dear Cayin Support,

Going crazy I moved the memory card to my other player DX80 and the two albums show up separately, in the right order and with the Album titles I gave as described in my previous post. Also noticed other albums are not sorting alphabetically when an Album title has a non Alphabetical character.

Thanks
IMG_3899.jpg
IMG_3900.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #3,021 of 4,108

Hi not sure if I was clear enough, I have sorted my files with numbers,

What I am looking at is wrong sort order for albums...now I could number album titles but these titles have the number at the end as posted earlier. So I am pointing out that sorting albums is not working correctly. I will test changing the album title as you mentioned with a number in front, but I am reluctant to accept that as a Long term solution since sorting should work as it does on all other devices. Final screenshot of the albums not sorted properly.

Also note that some albums of this series are sorted under the same 'album title' see my screenshot where volume 3 has 174 files...

There are two problems in your case:
(1) Wrong sorting order in album tab
(2) Songs were merged into the wrong album

I would like to focus on (2) first. So let's go through your situation carefully.
  1. In your first attempt, i can see volume 09, 10, 05, 06, 03 in the album tab. There are two more albums after that but I can't see the Volume number, can you provide that details?
  2. It is obvious that four volume have been merged into Volume 3 incorrectly, hence 174 tracks under Volume 3, can you list which four volumes are merged into Volume 3 right now?
  3. Your second attempt was based on Volume 01 and volume 02, if these two volume are happened to be in the list of (2) above, then the error actually make sense (i.e., being consistent).
  4. Initial analysis suggested that there are something in the album tag of these four volumes in (2) has triggered a bug and leaded to incorrect merging of tracks, so I would like to review the metadata of these four volumes in more detail. can you screen capture the metadata of these four volume from Yate (Advanced tagging for Mac) and send them to community@cayin.cn, I'll come back to you after I reviewed the metadata.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 8, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #3,022 of 4,108
There are two problems in your case:
(1) Wrong sorting order in album tab
(2) Songs were merged into the wrong album

I would like to focus on (2) first. So let's go through your situation carefully.
  1. In your first attempt, i can see volume 09, 10, 05, 06, 03 in the album tab. There are two more albums after that but I can't see the Volume number, can you provide that details?
  2. It is obvious that four volume have been merged into Volume 3 incorrectly, hence 174 tracks under Volume 3, can you list which four volumes are merged into Volume 3 right now?
  3. Your second attempt was based on Volume 01 and volume 02, if these two volume are happened to be in the list of (2) above, then the error actually make sense (i.e., being consistent).
  4. Initial analysis suggested that there are something in the album tag of these four volumes in (2) has triggered a bug and leaded to incorrect merging of tracks, so I would like to review the metadata of these four volumes in more detail. can you screen capture the metadata of these four volume from Yate (Advanced tagging for Mac) and send them to community@cayin.cn, I'll come back to you after I reviewed the metadata.
Thanks Andy, been troubleshooting this all day and just solved issue 2. As I mentioned in my earlier post I suspected an issue with hidden tags, ID3??? So what I did next was I checked the files again and found that these flac files indeed carried both the Vorbis and ID3 tag formats. I used Musicbrainz Picard (https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,79525.0.html) to completely remove any trace of ID3 tags from these files. I then copied the files back onto my memory card and rescanned. And presto problem 2 is gone :) so your assessment of a bug of some sort is correct. However the sorting issue is still there...I will continue troubleshooting. See attached.

IMG_3904.jpg
IMG_3905.jpg

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #3,023 of 4,108
Hello,
I've just got Cayin N5 DAP which identify itself on my Mac as N5MK2SS DAC. What is the difference between N5iiS vs. N5MK2SS? Latest v1.3en firmware updated on it.
Overall very happy and paired with Fiio F9 IEMs.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #3,024 of 4,108
Hello,
I've just got Cayin N5 DAP which identify itself on my Mac as N5MK2SS DAC. What is the difference between N5iiS vs. N5MK2SS? Latest v1.3en firmware updated on it.
SS should mean stainless steel.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #3,026 of 4,108
Ah, maybe, but internal guts are the same?
N5iiS and N5MK2SS are the same thing, there is absolutely no difference.

N5ii and N5iiS on the other hand, are different.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #3,027 of 4,108
Thanks Andy, been troubleshooting this all day and just solved issue 2. As I mentioned in my earlier post I suspected an issue with hidden tags, ID3??? So what I did next was I checked the files again and found that these flac files indeed carried both the Vorbis and ID3 tag formats. I used Musicbrainz Picard (https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,79525.0.html) to completely remove any trace of ID3 tags from these files. I then copied the files back onto my memory card and rescanned. And presto problem 2 is gone :) so your assessment of a bug of some sort is correct. However the sorting issue is still there...I will continue troubleshooting. See attached.

Hi Andy, As promised some more testing on the sorting issue or Problem 1 as you stated in you post. Now problem 2 is resolved I did the following:
Step 1: renamed the Album titles of the first 3 volumes from "Blank & Jones Present So80s (SoEighties) 01" to "Blank Jones Present So80s SoEighties 01" removing all non alpha numerical characters.
Step 2: rescanned memory cards

Result still sorting issues:
IMG_3907.jpg

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #3,028 of 4,108
Hi Andy, As promised some more testing on the sorting issue or Problem 1 as you stated in you post. Now problem 2 is resolved I did the following:
Step 1: renamed the Album titles of the first 3 volumes from "Blank & Jones Present So80s (SoEighties) 01" to "Blank Jones Present So80s SoEighties 01" removing all non alpha numerical characters.
Step 2: rescanned memory cards

Result still sorting issues:
So non alpha numerical characters is not the issue so next is to test seanwee's hunch:

Step 1: changed the album titles of the first 3 volumes from "Blank & Jones Present So80s (SoEighties) 01" to "Blank01 & Jones Present So80s (SoEighties)"
Step 2: rescanned the memory card

Result the first 3 albums sort properly, so seanwee, your hunch seems to be correct. Andy over to you...

IMG_3909.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #3,029 of 4,108
Hello,

Hi,please check the N5ii and N5iiS specification contrast in below picture:
upload_2018-10-10_9-11-17.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #3,030 of 4,108
Hi,please check the N5ii and N5iiS specification contrast in below picture:

Thanks a lot guys. So, when I received the DAP on the package was the sticker N5MK2, when I connected to my Mac it recognized itself as N5MK2SS. I have pleather cover, so I guess my device is N5iiS right? How to check how much memory I got?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back