Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Apr 24, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #2,266 of 4,108
So after getting the new N5ii home it turns out that there was an issue with the wifi network at the shop I run (must be an issue with the band?) and after picking up a new usb-c cable everything is working just fine. Sounds great with my Shure 535's! Can't wait to try out the new balanced cables I also bought!

What balanced cable did you buy?

Thanks for your quick response and for talking me off the proverbial ledge.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #2,268 of 4,108
Totally agree.
Actually my weapon of choice - DUNU DK-3001. They are really great universal hybrids. Brainwavz B400 also sounds perfectly with subj.

I too recommend the DK-3001. Hard to beat it in the price range.

Just make sure, wherever you buy from has an easy return policy. Depending on your ear size and shape, they may be very uncomfortable. But it's worth trying out, because if they fit you well, the sound is out of this world good.

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #2,270 of 4,108
Totally agree.
Actually my weapon of choice - DUNU DK-3001. They are really great universal hybrids. Brainwavz B400 also sounds perfectly with subj.

Just make sure, wherever you buy from has an easy return policy. Depending on your ear size and shape, they may be very uncomfortable. But it's worth trying out, because if they fit you well, the sound is out of this world good.
I wish I had amazon here. That way I can easily demo gear without having to search high and low to find an audio store with a demo.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,271 of 4,108

Just read a few reviews and your review was the one that turned my off about them. I like my detail monsters :D

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #2,272 of 4,108
Just read a few reviews and your review was the one that turned my off about them. I like my detail monsters :D

I understand. I certainly have a few IEM's I turn to for absolute detail and clarity. But then I also have some that are warm, smooth, and relaxed. Hard to decide which I like more, sometimes.
:)

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #2,273 of 4,108
I understand. I certainly have a few IEM's I turn to for absolute detail and clarity. But then I also have some that are warm, smooth, and relaxed. Hard to decide which I like more, sometimes.
Any recommendations?

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #2,275 of 4,108

Think this sums up 2 favs at the moment re600v2 and oriveti new primacy.

Still following thread and Glad to see that the firmware testing seems to be yielding positive results .

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,276 of 4,108
Apr 24, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,277 of 4,108
So after getting the new N5ii home it turns out that there was an issue with the wifi network at the shop I run (must be an issue with the band?) and after picking up a new usb-c cable everything is working just fine. Sounds great with my Shure 535's! Can't wait to try out the new balanced cables I also bought!

Thanks for your quick response and for talking me off the proverbial ledge.

So after sorting through the issues I had last night I was able to download my Spotify playlist (my SD card is in the mail for my actual music library) and I was happy with the sound but I wanted to tweak it a bit as I found it sounded thinner than I'm used to. Tried to use the EQ in the N5ii but that doesn't seem to have any effect on Spotify. Ok, it's a third party app so maybe I should try Spotify's built-in EQ... No luck, the Spotify EQ isn't available on the version I have on the DAP. Ok, so I re-download Spotify thinking maybe it's an older version of something. Still no EQ.

So i'm laying in bed this morning messing with the player and with the newly dowloaded version of Spotify, streaming this time, not listening from my downloaded playlist, and I can hear the player talking to my home wifi network behind the music! Man, I really want to love this DAP but first impressions are really important to me and so far this experience hasn't been as smooth as I had anticipated. Once I turn wifi off it's fine but still, I paid over $500 cdn for this DAP and I'm not feeling like I'm getting my money's worth.

I can deal with the wifi chatter as I will be downloading Spotify music to the internal memory and using my SD card for the rest of my library but still. Is this normal? Maybe I expect too much from a $500 dedicated music player, I don't know. I'm also new to Android so that's probably not helping.

Is there a way to get a EQ for Spotify? Is there another app I can get?

Basically I have about another week to decide whether I want to keep this DAP or not. The store I bought it from will only take a return so my only other option for a DAP at that same price-point is the Fiio X5iii. Should I exchange it for the Fiio or just learn to live with the quirks? I'm very happy with the sound so far but would really like something to EQ Spotify.

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #2,279 of 4,108
So after sorting through the issues I had last night I was able to download my Spotify playlist (my SD card is in the mail for my actual music library) and I was happy with the sound but I wanted to tweak it a bit as I found it sounded thinner than I'm used to. Tried to use the EQ in the N5ii but that doesn't seem to have any effect on Spotify. Ok, it's a third party app so maybe I should try Spotify's built-in EQ... No luck, the Spotify EQ isn't available on the version I have on the DAP. Ok, so I re-download Spotify thinking maybe it's an older version of something. Still no EQ.

So i'm laying in bed this morning messing with the player and with the newly dowloaded version of Spotify, streaming this time, not listening from my downloaded playlist, and I can hear the player talking to my home wifi network behind the music! Man, I really want to love this DAP but first impressions are really important to me and so far this experience hasn't been as smooth as I had anticipated. Once I turn wifi off it's fine but still, I paid over $500 cdn for this DAP and I'm not feeling like I'm getting my money's worth.

I can deal with the wifi chatter as I will be downloading Spotify music to the internal memory and using my SD card for the rest of my library but still. Is this normal? Maybe I expect too much from a $500 dedicated music player, I don't know. I'm also new to Android so that's probably not helping.

Is there a way to get a EQ for Spotify? Is there another app I can get?

Basically I have about another week to decide whether I want to keep this DAP or not. The store I bought it from will only take a return so my only other option for a DAP at that same price-point is the Fiio X5iii. Should I exchange it for the Fiio or just learn to live with the quirks? I'm very happy with the sound so far but would really like something to EQ Spotify.
I don't use Spotify so that's not an issue for me. I do know that not having EQ is a real bummer though. The reason why there is no Spotify EQ on the N5ii is because there is no EQ built into the android version on the N5ii. You can download a separate EQ though.

I just tested Spotify again on the N5ii using my phone's hotspot and there was a little interference when a song is being loaded but once it finishes loading its dead silent. The interference is quite low volume and I can't hear it over when music is playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back