Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Apr 23, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #2,251 of 4,108
  • The N5ii is right there in the middle, and certainly helps these awesome earphones sound their best, giving them all the depth and dimensionallity they could want.

• the N5ii, being my favorite mid-tier DAP, has more than enough performance to illustrate how remarkable the R1 is.

• Yes, the Opus#2 and the DX200 provide the better performance, but the N5ii is not far behind. The Cayin N5ii>pS Tri-Copper>Legend X sounds so freaking good, when you're listening, you can't imagine you're missing out on anything a TOTL DAP may offer. It all sounds so faultless.
This about sums up why I consider the N5ii superior to all other mid-fi DAPs I have heard. It has a tuning that is usually found on TOTL DAPs. Clean, neutral, detailed, with a pitch black background. It gives the illusion that it is a DAP many times its price. Leave the coloured, warm, veiled tunings to the budget range (I'm looking at you, Aune M2s, Opus 3).

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #2,252 of 4,108
I would agree that the sound of the N5II (when software is fully cooperating) is really what I normally associate with high end.

When paired with the FLC8S using a balanced cable it sounds terrific. I am very pleased that the latest beta firmware is going over so well.

I look forward to a formal release in the near future.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #2,253 of 4,108
When paired with the FLC8S using a balanced cable it sounds terrific. I am very pleased that the latest beta firmware is going over so well.

Agreed. That's the pairing I've found best so far for my preferences. I mentioned this many posts ago as well.

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #2,254 of 4,108
Agreed. That's the pairing I've found best so far for my preferences. I mentioned this many posts ago as well.
Jeez you two. Now you got me itchy for a new iem :D

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #2,255 of 4,108
Hey everyone. Just received my Cayin N5ii and I'm really disappointed. First off right out of the box it's not working properly in DAC mode. Garbled sound not matter which setting from my Mac Book Pro. Second, it's running surprisingly hot. Third I can't get it to stay connected to wifi or it's SUPER slow. I upgraded the firmware to the latest firmware from Cayin. Is it me or does everyone think this is a defective unit and I should just forget it and send it back to the store I bought it from ASAP?

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #2,256 of 4,108
Hey everyone. Just received my Cayin N5ii and I'm really disappointed. First off right out of the box it's not working properly in DAC mode. Garbled sound not matter which setting from my Mac Book Pro. Second, it's running surprisingly hot. Third I can't get it to stay connected to wifi or it's SUPER slow. I upgraded the firmware to the latest firmware from Cayin. Is it me or does everyone think this is a defective unit and I should just forget it and send it back to the store I bought it from ASAP?
The stock cable is crap for USB dac. Try using a shorter high quality cable.

It may get slightly warm in use but just about normal hand temperature. That is provided you are not charging while using it.

WiFi seems fine on my side, it runs at 17 mbps on my 20 mbps home Internet connection. I've never had WiFi connection issues on my unit.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #2,257 of 4,108
Jeez you two. Now you got me itchy for a new iem :D

I think everyone should have a set of FLC8S in their collection. These IEMs are very versatile considering the filter options (not gimmicky at all) and can perform just as well as higher end models with the right source. The only drawback is the larger nozzle bore diameter compared to others which could be a problematic fit for certain users ears.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #2,258 of 4,108
The stock cable is crap for USB dac. Try using a shorter high quality cable.

It may get slightly warm in use but just about normal hand temperature. That is provided you are not charging while using it.

WiFi seems fine on my side, it runs at 17 mbps on my 20 mbps home Internet connection. I've never had WiFi connection issues on my unit.

So after getting the new N5ii home it turns out that there was an issue with the wifi network at the shop I run (must be an issue with the band?) and after picking up a new usb-c cable everything is working just fine. Sounds great with my Shure 535's! Can't wait to try out the new balanced cables I also bought!

Thanks for your quick response and for talking me off the proverbial ledge.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #2,259 of 4,108
I think everyone should have a set of FLC8S in their collection. These IEMs are very versatile considering the filter options (not gimmicky at all) and can perform just as well as higher end models with the right source. The only drawback is the larger nozzle bore diameter compared to others which could be a problematic fit for certain users ears.
I'm really picky with IEM's though. I know the FLC8s are very versatile due to the sheer number of tunings they have but I'm still not sure. Its still in my to be Demoed list. Pity they didn't have any demos in Japan when i went last year.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #2,260 of 4,108
So after getting the new N5ii home it turns out that there was an issue with the wifi network at the shop I run (must be an issue with the band?) and after picking up a new usb-c cable everything is working just fine. Sounds great with my Shure 535's! Can't wait to try out the new balanced cables I also bought!

Thanks for your quick response and for talking me off the proverbial ledge.
Glad to hear it :wink:
Enjoy your N5ii :D

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #2,262 of 4,108
Guys I've got a pair of Oppo PM-3s that I have paired with the n5ii, but I'm wanting a pair of IEMs just for the better portability side of things. Could I get some recommendations on where to start that will work well with this DAP? My budget is around $500~ but can consider upwards of this if it's warranted.

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #2,263 of 4,108
Guys I've got a pair of Oppo PM-3s that I have paired with the n5ii, but I'm wanting a pair of IEMs just for the better portability side of things. Could I get some recommendations on where to start that will work well with this DAP? My budget is around $500~ but can consider upwards of this if it's warranted.
What type of sound do you want?

Considering the neutral sound of the N5ii you can't really go wrong with any iem except for those with very bright treble.

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #2,264 of 4,108
What type of sound do you want?

Considering the neutral sound of the N5ii you can't really go wrong with any iem except for those with very bright treble.

I guess too cause the PM-3s are neutral sounding also, maybe something in contrast to that to expand on my listening experience. I mainly listen to a variety of music, mostly post hard-core a lot of the time but often listen to hip hop and rnb, acoustic and soft and hard rock.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #2,265 of 4,108
I guess too cause the PM-3s are neutral sounding also, maybe something in contrast to that to expand on my listening experience. I mainly listen to a variety of music, mostly post hard-core a lot of the time but often listen to hip hop and rnb, acoustic and soft and hard rock.
Some are saying that the N5ii pairs really well with the FLC8s. It's also a safer bet because you can change the tuning to your preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back