Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 23, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #498 of 4,108
Their priority is just to sell big amount of DAPs. No matter what, bugs, no detail testing before release to public. If someone wants to buy this DAP - better wait half a year at least. EOT

Happy Xmas trolling, bud :)

Why so much anger? What is all this based on? Your personal experience of buying an old Cayin N5 model that had a defective battery? I understand you joined HF community early this year, but if you have any experience with DAPs in general, you would know that nobody releases a brand new product with a perfect fw. The release of a product means that hardware is finalized and fw is out of the beta stage. All the companies continue to support their products with fw updates to fix the reported bugs. It's like that with every manufacturer.

Do you even know that when Cayin was ready to release their previous i5 and had all announcements done, first batch manufactured, lots of money invested, in the last minute they found a minor wifi interference problem, and they honestly came forward, apologized, and delayed their first big Android dap release? Loosing a lot of money, but making sure customers come first? We had a lot of talk about it here on Head-fi, praising them for such a bold move.

I understand, you are upset about a defective battery or whatever the problem was with your N5, but no reason to run a smear campaign, unless you are working for a competitor?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #499 of 4,108
Im growing super fond of the sound, its so vinyl,if someone offered me that 10 years ago id think the impossible happened
I think Cayin is really onto something, more so than others costing 50 more, if ur at my level of buying you realise its not really about how much you spend..

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #500 of 4,108
Their priority is just to sell big amount of DAPs. No matter what, bugs, no detail testing before release to public. If someone wants to buy this DAP - better wait half a year at least. EOT

I don't agree with that. If they did no testing and their players had a high defect rate, that wouldn't lead to people buying more Cayin products. No they aren't perfect and no other maker is either. But Cayin is exceptional in customer service from what I can see. And Cayin has a history in high end home audio, poor reliability and service would kill a company in that market. Andy is more open and transparent about their products and their deficiencies than any manufacturer rep I've ever seen. I don't have any affiliation with Cayin nor do I own a Cayin product, but I plan to, based largely on what I've seen here and elsewhere. If you want to know about products being shipped out with problems and slow or no fixes, there are plenty of examples on this site. Especially crowdfunded players.

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #501 of 4,108
I've yet to see a modern device running Android or IOS that didn't need constant updates to address firmware, bugs, etc. Every other android based DAP out there needs constant updates to address bugs, improve sound quality, etc. Cheap stuff or companies that make crap wouldn't even bother to collaborate on these threads nor offer customer support like Cayin is doing here. One bad experience is not representative of an entire company.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #502 of 4,108
Yeah I’m sensing a lot of resentment for a product that just launched and is for sure still working out the kinks. Unfortunately there’s no substitute for getting a product into consumers’ hands and letting them QA it on a widespread level. It looks like the actual bugs are minor and the final UX/feature set is still being tweaked via firmware updates. We can see they’re listening to the users and that’s all anyone can ask.

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #503 of 4,108
OK, about the Wifi/Bluetooth/2.5mm and other questions that came up in the last few pages.

Cayin N5ii has 2 modes of operation, a regular mode with Android app support, Wi-fi, Wireless Bluetooth, and Audio Priority Mode which is "pure audio" mode where Wifi and BT are disabled to provide the best audio performance. You can enable/disable Audio Priority Mode by swiping notification bar down to see available shortcut options.

cayin_n5ii_x01.jpg

The initial N5ii firmware release (v1.12en) is in a special mode where in addition to manual switch between Regular and Audio Priority modes, it also automatically switches to Audio Priority mode as soon as you connect 2.5mm HO. This is not an intended permanent functionality, it's only a part of the initial FW release and in a few days Cayin will release a new FW version where this feature (automatic switch to Audio Priority mode) should be disabled, allowing you to manually switch between the modes.

So, no reason to panic that something is wrong with your N5ii hardware :)

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #504 of 4,108
My only big concern is that I didn’t let the battery fully drain before initial charging. I hope that doesn’t mess up the battery’s “memory”!:triportsad:

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #505 of 4,108
My only big concern is that I didn’t let the battery fully drain before initial charging. I hope that doesn’t mess up the battery’s “memory”!:triportsad:
I will make the assumption that the battery is an Lithium ion battery if it is they do not exhibit the memory effect and the best way to keep the battery in good health for along time is to not let it charge fully and never let it completely die. Keep it between 20-80% charge and it will last you a lot longer

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #506 of 4,108
OK, about the Wifi/Bluetooth/2.5mm and other questions that came up in the last few pages.

Cayin N5ii has 2 modes of operation, a regular mode with Android app support, Wi-fi, Wireless Bluetooth, and Audio Priority Mode which is "pure audio" mode where Wifi and BT are disabled to provide the best audio performance. You can enable/disable Audio Priority Mode by swiping notification bar down to see available shortcut options.

The initial N5ii firmware release (v1.12en) is in a special mode where in addition to manual switch between Regular and Audio Priority modes, it also automatically switches to Audio Priority mode as soon as you connect 2.5mm HO. This is not an intended permanent functionality, it's only a part of the initial FW release and in a few days Cayin will release a new FW version where this feature (automatic switch to Audio Priority mode) should be disabled, allowing you to manually switch between the modes.

So, no reason to panic that something is wrong with your N5ii hardware :)
That solves that then!

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #507 of 4,108
Loving the DAP so far. Had a few hiccups whilst downloading my Apple Music playlists to use offline but other than that no concerns.

Currently using it with my Tia Fourté via the 3.5mm output. Should I be looking into purchasing a 2.5mm balanced cable next? If so, any recommendations?

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #508 of 4,108
Loving the DAP so far. Had a few hiccups whilst downloading my Apple Music playlists to use offline but other than that no concerns.

Currently using it with my Tia Fourté via the 3.5mm output. Should I be looking into purchasing a 2.5mm balanced cable next? If so, any recommendations?

What are you looking for in terms of sound change? More warmth? More clarity? More titties?

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #510 of 4,108
This is probably not helpful but I honestly enjoy the sound as is with the stock 64 audio cable. Just to my understanding going balanced seems to be better and I believe w the Cayin that’s only possible via 2.5mm?

You can never go wrong with a pure copper Ares II, one of the cost efficient options. I assume you got N5ii from MusicTeck? They sell Effect Audio cables as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back