Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 22, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #481 of 4,108
This is unfortunate. Cayin should post their timeline publicly for future updates, with some accuracy. In such a niche market, transparency is everything. I don’t want to sit on an order past the return timeline. And I feel this should be mentioned everywhere the n5ii is sold that 2.5 doesn’t work with streaming apps.

Exactly. Just like automobile maker tells you: you can drive, but when you make the radio on, car engine stops. Shame Cayin, shame.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #482 of 4,108
Im really loving this dap, i just have a little list of things im sure will be sorted in future updates.
Main thing is it crashes a bit, not a lot, but it cant access both sd cards with ease and music stops whilst processing.
This is connected to next problem which is ff and rewind in lock screen mode, not working great at the mo.
I also wish they can add option how fast forward goes in 2,3 steps.
Minor quibble is loading artwork in album mode ,but its fast so no major one.
My one disappointment is battery tho, N3 just lasts forever with hugo 2 coax, N5 ,not so, battery seems to go much much quicker.
All this is not really enough to not keep it tho, i think its a great value, super sounding dap, def a keeper, well done again Cayin!

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #483 of 4,108
Exactly. Just like automobile maker tells you: you can drive, but when you make the radio on, car engine stops. Shame Cayin, shame.

Oh, common, not to that extreme :p This is not a permanent life threatening bug or a problem which Cayin doesn't know how to resolve. They already said it will be enabled in a few days. Besides, firmware is handled by HIBY who is behind Cayin/FiiO/Shanling/Hidizs/Questyle/etc and their own DAP releases, so they know what they're doing :)

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #484 of 4,108
I had N5-I for a week, until it suddenly died. So my criticism is based on facts. Let's hope that n5-II behaves better.
Your criticism is based on one instance....hardly a fact.

It sucks when our expensive gear breaks or stops working unexpedidly, but there is bound to be some failures in manufacturing.

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #485 of 4,108
Im really loving this dap, i just have a little list of things im sure will be sorted in future updates.
Main thing is it crashes a bit, not a lot, but it cant access both sd cards with ease and music stops whilst processing.
This is connected to next problem which is ff and rewind in lock screen mode, not working great at the mo.
I also wish they can add option how fast forward goes in 2,3 steps.
Minor quibble is loading artwork in album mode ,but its fast so no major one.
My one disappointment is battery tho, N3 just lasts forever with hugo 2 coax, N5 ,not so, battery seems to go much much quicker.
All this is not really enough to not keep it tho, i think its a great value, super sounding dap, def a keeper, well done again Cayin!

The battery drain is probably down to android. Try stopping any apps that you don't need running in the background. I'm also going to assume that the battery method AndyK mentioned in the i5 thread applies here? IE run the battery down, and then give it a full overnight charge? Will probably order one after christmas now. Nearly ordered one just before but was uncertain about delivery times. Have got a pioneer xdp 100r and just don't like the sound of it at all.

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #486 of 4,108
The battery drain is probably down to android. Try stopping any apps that you don't need running in the background. I'm also going to assume that the battery method AndyK mentioned in the i5 thread applies here? IE run the battery down, and then give it a full overnight charge? Will probably order one after christmas now. Nearly ordered one just before but was uncertain about delivery times. Have got a pioneer xdp 100r and just don't like the sound of it at all.
Yeah, im in audio mode only, so nothing else draining.
Will try running it down fully.im sure it needs a few charges.
The 100r is ok, the 300r much better, i wouldn't say n5 is better tho, 300 is higher end

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #488 of 4,108
When you're using third party apps on Android based DAP's, does system's equalizer not apply to those apps? For example I'm adjusting with the equalizer while listening to Apple Music and not noticing any changes, so I'm guessing that is so?

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #489 of 4,108
Had a serious crash just now, it kept saying Music Player or app has stopped in a constant loop after each reboot i tried, no luck, so ended up factory resetting all.
I thing this dap has main issue with the 2 sd cards scanning, all crashes and stops are related to that.
If a track is playing and i go check my library, sound stops for few seconds, long enough to think it crashed, then it resumes.
If screen is off, then FF and Rewind doesnt work, needs you to wake it with one power button press to lock screen then music stops playing and you know its doing it.

Dec 22, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #490 of 4,108
When you're using third party apps on Android based DAP's, does system's equalizer not apply to those apps? For example I'm adjusting with the equalizer while listening to Apple Music and not noticing any changes, so I'm guessing that is so?

I think better to wait a few days for the official fw update/release.

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #493 of 4,108
It was more of a general question to all Android DAPs rather than to this specific model, I figured the system equalizer wouldn't change anything but I will wait and see!

Yes, I believe the EQ applies to Hiby audio player, which is Cayin's default player.

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #494 of 4,108
I just received my n5II yesterday and I am attempting to connect to a SMSL AD18 amp via USB and a huge amount of static can be heard when playing back music.
Anyone else us the n5II as a USB source and get a similar issue?
This is a known bug. Cayin are working on it but it is apparently not their top priority so it may be a while.

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #495 of 4,108

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back