Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Nov 7, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #106 of 4,108
The N3 is a bit warmer than this.

As long as its in the same ballpark, I'm down with that.

My "personal" warm sounding meter for Cayin DAP is as follows:

N5 > i5=N3 > N5ii > N6

> is warmer

Andy, thanks for trying to objectively describe something that is very subjective! Not easy, but I think I understand. Just experimenting rolling off the bass by a 1-2dB on the EQ of my N3, I'm okay if that's where the new tuning is at. My headphones and IEMs can scale fairly well so if performance in the mids and treble is improved from the N3, I'll be super happy with the pairing.

Nov 7, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #107 of 4,108
As long as its in the same ballpark, I'm down with that.

Andy, thanks for trying to objectively describe something that is very subjective! Not easy, but I think I understand. Just experimenting rolling off the bass by a 1-2dB on the EQ of my N3, I'm okay if that's where the new tuning is at. My headphones and IEMs can scale fairly well so if performance in the mids and treble is improved from the N3, I'll be super happy with the pairing.

I assume you know I am working for Cayin, so this can an subjective description of something that is very subjective! :laughing:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 7, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #108 of 4,108
I assume you know I am working for Cayin, so this can an subjective description of something that is very subjective! :laughing:
Uh yes, I could see that. Also correct me if I'm wrong but, it sounds like you're describing the extent to which Cayin has a "house sound" and that each product is a slightly different reflection of that, from the original N5 to the N6...

Like does the N6 sound more like a refined, more revealing version of other Cayin devices or more like neutral hi-fi DAPs from other competitors? I don't expect you to answer that but it is sorta how I think about my purchasing decisions.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #109 of 4,108
N5II & 99C 01.jpg

I spent much of today and yesterday enjoying the Meze 99 Classics out of Cayin's balanced port. Such a supremely clean and rich sound. It's a real treat to my ears.

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #110 of 4,108
Uh yes, I could see that. Also correct me if I'm wrong but, it sounds like you're describing the extent to which Cayin has a "house sound" and that each product is a slightly different reflection of that, from the original N5 to the N6...

Like does the N6 sound more like a refined, more revealing version of other Cayin devices or more like neutral hi-fi DAPs from other competitors? I don't expect you to answer that but it is sorta how I think about my purchasing decisions.

Indeed, Cayin DAP has a noticeable house sound on our DAP, from N3 to N6, but even with N6 which is consider the coldest sounding DAP among our lineup, it still carry a pleasant and smooth mid-range and you won't feel dry in any frequency range. Yes, the N6 is refined and more revealing when compare to other Cayin DAPs, its kind of replicating our higher-graded HiFi products for speaker-based setup.

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #111 of 4,108

I spent much of today and yesterday enjoying the Meze 99 Classics out of Cayin's balanced port. Such a supremely clean and rich sound. It's a real treat to my ears.

Very good, someone finally mentioned Meze 99Classic in this thread, I have been waiting for this to show up.

Cayin DAP and Meze 99Classic and 99Neo are well-known for their synergy, I don't have the balanced cable for Meze headphones but I am quite certain that this will be a winning setup. :beerchug:

Nov 7, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #112 of 4,108
Very good, someone finally mentioned Meze 99Classic in this thread, I have been waiting for this to show up.

Cayin DAP and Meze 99Classic and 99Neo are well-known for their synergy, I don't have the balanced cable for Meze headphones but I am quite certain that this will be a winning setup. :beerchug:

Yeah, I had to built my own cable, and mod my 99C in order to use it. Of course, it's much easier now that Meze sells balanced cables. But early in the year, Pinky had to go to extremes. :D

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #113 of 4,108
Yeah, I had to built my own cable, and mod my 99C in order to use it. Of course, it's much easier now that Meze sells balanced cables. But early in the year, I Pinky had to go to extremes. :D

I didn't aware that Meze has a balanced cable for their headphone, I must get one to try this out. Thanks for the lead, this is great.

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #115 of 4,108
Well, show us some photo to illustrate why you like the silicon case. I am saying this because it is different from our previous silicon case significantly, so others might be confused by the description. :beerchug:

I'll be certain to do that. My wifey and boots will be out of town for an extended weekend starting tomorrow, so I'll have plenty of time to spend with the N5ii!

N5ii has decent bass resolution, it is on the lean side when compare to N5 or i5, but it is definitely not thin IMHO.

Transparent, dynamic and neutral are almost always welcomed in desktop setup, assuming you are using over-the-ear headphones at the same time. However, I don't think the exact criteria will apply on DAP because you are using IEMs with it and IEMs get be fatigue when the overall system is highly transparent and neutral. In many cases, a slightly warm-tilt sound signature will allow you to listen to your setup for longer hours

Agree that N5ii bass is leaner. Lower mids are also less warm vs i5. However with warmer IEM, you'll certainly be able to listen for extended periods. That hasn't been a problem with N5ii for me.

The way you're describing it sounds great. Neutral with a slight warm tilt is exactly what I want. It's partly what drove me to the N3. If this is just a refined version of that? PERFECT. Looking forward to the final details about price and release date!

The N3 is a bit warmer than this.

My "personal" warm sounding meter for Cayin DAP is as follows:

N5 > i5=N3 > N5ii > N6

> is warmer

I'd put it at N5>i5>N3>N5ii>N6

N6 is the flagship but it's also my least favorite because it lacks warmth in comparison to the others which makes it sound rather bright to me in comparison.

I've been listening to 99 Neo, 99 Classics, and AudioQuest Nighthawks. All are warm headphones and all have good synergy with N5ii IMHO.

Nov 8, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #116 of 4,108
Hello to the betatesters. Quick question: Do you think it's worth waiting for the N5MKII when there is a used I5 for good price with mainly SQ in mind? A little Background.: I own a Opus 1 and am nearly satisfied but missing the WLAN Feature and a wheel for volumecontrol.

Nov 8, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #117 of 4,108
Hello to the betatesters. Quick question: Do you think it's worth waiting for the N5MKII when there is a used I5 for good price with mainly SQ in mind? A little Background.: I own a Opus 1 and am nearly satisfied but missing the WLAN Feature and a wheel for volumecontrol.
Not sure about what you consider to be "a good price", but bear in mind that the Cayin N5ii is supposed to hit the market in just a few weeks at under $400. So, if you can control the urge :ksc75smile: you may be able to demo it at your favourite audio store and, if you like it, you might make yourself a great Xmas present :santa:

Nov 8, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #118 of 4,108
I could get the I5 for around $300

Nov 8, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #119 of 4,108
I could get the I5 for around $300
Tough choice... flip a coin maybe? :wink: Seriously, the difference not being so huge, I would personally give the N5ii a try

Nov 8, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #120 of 4,108
:D I see....will use this opportunity to stay away from impulsbuying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back