Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 30, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #61 of 4,108
@Andykong I also like the crocodile skin case for n5ii

Well, to tell you the truth, I haven't laid my hand to the N5ii protective case yet, it looks good but I want to feel it before I like it. :grin:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 30, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #62 of 4,108

Wow, Tia Fourte with plusSound X-Series GPC Litz 2.5mm Balanced, that's around 10 times the cost of N5ii, I'll call that a treat to our N5ii.

Glad you agree with me that Cayin has pay special attention to the sound signature of ESS9018K2m and it is different from most implementation in the market.

That's nothing. I just received the Effect Audio Leonidas. That will make for some good N5II listening tomorrow at work. :D

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #63 of 4,108
Thanks for the tip to listen to N5ii with Bluetooth and WiFi turned off for best comparison. I'll keep that in mind when doing any comparisons.

Do you know if other case styles will be available for those who prefer a more natural style of leather case?

And I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the pre-applied screen protector is tempered glass. Niceeee!

(Im)patiently waiting for my boys to go to bed, so I can give the N5ii a listen...

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #64 of 4,108
I still have the AK120II and the N5II looks a bit like AK120II. It actually looks good. has decent power output. With the ability to run 3rd party apps then this looks like a very good all-rounded. I just hope it does not hiss with sensitive iems.

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #65 of 4,108
#brothers

IMG_20171030_225221-01.jpeg
IMG_20171030_225231-01.jpeg

Since @PinkyPowers already commented on the general sound signature, I'll hold off on that for now and give myself a bit more time with it.

As far as GUI, it's pretty much the same as the i5 which is a good thing in my book. I'm a fan of the GUI Cayin and Hiby put together.

As far as physical user interface, I'm liking it so far. Good button layout and port placement. Like the i5, the volume knob doesn't trigger immediately so you won't get a jarring volume change if the knob gets accidentally moved. That's a really nice feature.

Besides the optional crocodile stamped leather case, there's a translucent gray silicon case. I'm liking it so far. It's more stiff than the usual silicone case and has got a nice grip to it. It lets just enough of the N5ii show through. I'm glad it isn't opaque. Good move making it transparent to let the N5ii's aesthetics show through a bit even with the case on.

Alright, I think that's enough for now. I need to sleep...

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #69 of 4,108
Ooh the new N5ii getting a release so soon is such a pleasant surprise. Really looking forward to getting a balanced DAP!

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #70 of 4,108
N5II 03.jpg

N5II & Fourte 04.jpg

I may have found the device to dethrone the Opus#1 as my recommendation for best mid-tier DAP. The i5 came close, but it wasn't clear or detailed enough to topple it. The Opus#1 is a detail monster, and also devoid of harshness. I'd never heard anything in that price range sound so good.

The N5II may sound even better.

We'll see if this feeling continues as I listen on. But today at work, I put in a number of hours with N5II>EA Leonidas>tia Fourté, and I was in awe the whole time.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #71 of 4,108
Thanks for the tip to listen to N5ii with Bluetooth and WiFi turned off for best comparison. I'll keep that in mind when doing any comparisons.

Do you know if other case styles will be available for those who prefer a more natural style of leather case?

And I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the pre-applied screen protector is tempered glass. Niceeee!

(Im)patiently waiting for my boys to go to bed, so I can give the N5ii a listen...

I believe we only have one protective case available right now, I am not sure if we'll come out with an alternative design later, I think that will depends on the sales volume of N5ii. If N5ii sells well, I assume there will be third party choice coming up before Cayin comes out with an alternative design.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 31, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #72 of 4,108
The case may be made with apple peel, as far as I'm concerned, I just can't wait to lay my hands on this beauty, case or no case :)

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #74 of 4,108
How about the hiss on sensitive iems?

Tonight I tried my most sensitive IEMs, just for you. :wink:

Campfire Audio Jupiter & Noble Audio Kaiser Encore

My ears picked up no discernible hiss with either of them. Jupiter ran from the 3.5mm single-ended output, and Encore from the 2.5mm Balanced port. All clear.

-~::Edit::~-
I can also verify the N5II has no troubles with a 256GB microSD card. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back