Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 17, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #406 of 4,108
Low volume sales. Almost all DAP manufacturers have to use old Socs.

There is no way any of SoC manufacturers will sell latest chipsets on such low volume sales. Cellphone manufacturers that make a lot of sales, Samsung, Sony, LG, Apple all get the latest hardware because there is demand.

You have to understand DAPs are such a niche product, 90% customer base is of audiophiles. That is such low amount of sales, and Chip Manufacturers are not going to waste their resources selling latest tech to such a niche product group.
Another thing is chipset support. For example Leadcore/Ingenic solutions are semi-conductor support companies that provide companies like Cayin coding support for providing firmware updates.

As @Andykong mentioned, latest SoC chip is useless in a DAP if you cannot provide coding support to Cayin Developers/Engineers on how to provide firmware updates. A lot of coding required a Semi-conductor company to provide support for these mobile chipsets.
Hence niche products like these use true and trusted SoCs that get reliable support for firmware updates. Hence why you see Rockchip RK3188 in a lot of daps, there is support for those chipsets by these companies.

RK3188 supports Android 5.1 as that is only support given.
Ah right... forgot that android was a SOC system

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #407 of 4,108
My N5ii arrived today! I had to break out a pair of balanced cables as this is my first one of those devices. Not gonna lie, it's subtle, but I love how the soundstage and imaging is improved over a single-ended connection. Especially with headphones of higher quality. Really allows the E-MU Teak to shine, for example.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #408 of 4,108
My N5ii arrived today! I had to break out a pair of balanced cables as this is my first one of those devices. Not gonna lie, it's subtle, but I love how the soundstage and imaging is improved over a single-ended connection. Especially with headphones of higher quality. Really allows the E-MU Teak to shine, for example.

Welcome to the club!

After awhile the difference becomes more easily recognizable and isn't so subtle.

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #411 of 4,108
Such a nice dap. Its smaller than i expected.

20171218_225741.jpg

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #412 of 4,108
Can anyone test out Apple Music and see how it works?
Yes, same request from me.

Work fine

20171218_235746.jpg

The funny thing is 3rd party apps don't work with 2.5mm. When i plugged my A18 w/2.5mm connector, the N5ii would close all apps and turn on Audio Priority mode.
@Andykong can you make the 2.5mm port work with 3rd party apps please ?

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #413 of 4,108
One more thing @Andykong, can you do something to boost the wifi ? Wifi of this dap is so slow. Only works with apps like Apple Music, but not work with Tidal Hifi. It couldn’t stream songs of tidal hifi, or even download them. I tested with wifi at work and at home, both gave the same result.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #414 of 4,108
One more thing @Andykong, can you do something to boost the wifi ? Wifi of this dap is so slow. Only works with apps like Apple Music, but not work with Tidal Hifi. It couldn’t stream songs of tidal hifi, or even download them. I tested with wifi at work and at home, both gave the same result.

I have extensively tested this on both the beta as well as the production unit and both work flawlessly. But here's an important tip: if your wifi was turned of when booting the DAP it sometimes has an issue. You then have to turn on wifi and reboot with Wifi on. The DAP will boot and connect to wifi from the start and then it works perfectly.

Try this maybe?

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #415 of 4,108
I have extensively tested this on both the beta as well as the production unit and both work flawlessly. But here's an important tip: if your wifi was turned of when booting the DAP it sometimes has an issue. You then have to turn on wifi and reboot with Wifi on. The DAP will boot and connect to wifi from the start and then it works perfectly.

Try this maybe?
Thx for the tip. It worked :D.

Dec 19, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #418 of 4,108
Welcome to the club!

After awhile the difference becomes more easily recognizable and isn't so subtle.

Huzzah! Yeah, I'm noticing that the sound quality is improving as I continue to listen and the usual early burn-in tightens things up. But really, I'm just ecstatic with how the balanced out has breathed new life into the Teaks. The pairing is exceptional. Time to put some IEMs through its paces...

I'm hoping I can get a similar improvement when I get the LCX with its balanced XLR out. Not sure how that would work if my DAC line isn't balanced but whatevs, I'm veering off-topic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back