Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Sep 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #2,926 of 4,108
Mine went away after a reboot. You could also clear the cache and/or turn Bluetooth on and off.

I've had the N5iiS for a few days now - coming from an iBasso DX80 - and I'm very impressed with this player. On first listen, it sounds good to very good but slightly rough around the edges. But after just 18 hours of burn-in it's starting to sound superb: great dynamics, excellent clarity and detailing but none of the infamous 'Sabre glare' in the treble, precise imaging, weighty tone and tight bass - a clear step up in sound quality from the DX80.

However, I have a few complaints and they're to do with the operating system and/or drivers:

1. The latest firmware (1.3) is quite laggy and tempramental. For example, as someone has already noted, when the pause button is pressed - either the physical one or the one in the O.S. - there's quite a long delay (about 2-3 seconds) until the music is actually paused.

The "pause problem" seems not to be solved on my side: after clearing cache and reboot, the long delay (and quick return of music) is come back after the DAP was power on for a while.
The problem seems to be present also on the new N5iiS...

I take this opportunity to report a small problem.
Regardless of the chosen theme, in the "Now Playing" screen in the lower right corner of the cover art is shown the number of the track being played compared to the total of the tracks in the playlist (something like 4/13).
I would ask if this information can be moved outside the image: most of the time the text is not readable, especially if the album cover has quite dark colors.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #2,929 of 4,108
The "pause problem" seems not to be solved on my side: after clearing cache and reboot, the long delay (and quick return of music) is come back after the DAP was power on for a while.
The problem seems to be present also on the new N5iiS...

Hi, could you please tested this problem again and record an video for me to check? You can send the videos to community@cayin.cn. We have tested this problem in our side, when clicking on" pause", the time 2-3s is longer than the time we tested.

I take this opportunity to report a small problem.
Regardless of the chosen theme, in the "Now Playing" screen in the lower right corner of the cover art is shown the number of the track being played compared to the total of the tracks in the playlist (something like 4/13).
I would ask if this information can be moved outside the image: most of the time the text is not readable, especially if the album cover has quite dark colors.

Thank you for your suggestion!We will record your advice, but it will be in low priority.There are more bugs we have to attend to, so we will assess this advice after we complete handling all the bugs.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #2,930 of 4,108
I've had the N5iiS for a few days now - coming from an iBasso DX80 - and I'm very impressed with this player. On first listen, it sounds good to very good but slightly rough around the edges. But after just 18 hours of burn-in it's starting to sound superb: great dynamics, excellent clarity and detailing but none of the infamous 'Sabre glare' in the treble, precise imaging, weighty tone and tight bass - a clear step up in sound quality from the DX80.

However, I have a few complaints and they're to do with the operating system and/or drivers:

1. The latest firmware (1.3) is quite laggy and tempramental. For example, as someone has already noted, when the pause button is pressed - either the physical one or the one in the O.S. - there's quite a long delay (about 2-3 seconds) until the music is actually paused.

2. The physical volume control is sometimes laggy and imprecise, and will take quite a few rotations to effectively reduce the volume.

3. Twice so far the volume has suddenly muted (the speaker icon has a cross next to it) and the only way get the audio back is to do a factory reset.

4. As a USB DAC, there is a latency issue which means audio and video are badly out of synch with each other - so you can't use the NiiS as a general purpose external sound card. I know this issue has been raised before and the Cayin representative here has answered that it has to do with the asynchronous USB. However, I should point out that my DX80 also has an asynchronous USB and it does not have this latency issue; and I've had many USB DACS in the past with an asynchronous USB and none of them had this issue either. So, I'd like ask the Cayin representative whether there will eventually be a fix for the latency problem?

Hi, thank you for your advice:
1.Could you please tested this problem again and record an video for me to check? You can send the videos to community@cayin.cn. We have tested this problem in our side, when clicking on" pause", the time 2-3s is longer than the time we tested.
2.Currently we don't receive similar feedback, I would like to know if others have the same problem?
3.This is the first time I received such a feedback, may I know what kind of format of your music file? playback with native player or third-party player? Did you do any special settings?
4. The audio and video synchronization problem is not a bug, it is the result of Asynchronized transmission in USB Audio DAC function, please refer to our previous explanation in the following link. We don't have any plan to change our transmission protocol, so there won't be a firmware "fix" in the future. There are other option to achieve audio-visual synchronization such as adding a delay in the video path····Please check out this link for detailed information:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-26#post-13915204

Last edited:

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #2,931 of 4,108
Seems like today is a sad day. Only at the young age of 6 months you passed away...already miss you... RIP balanced port of my precious N5ii. I use the single-ended port while waiting for RMA through my reseller. Given the above circumstances I may wait with shipping the device for warranty service.
I tried to warn you guys!! I even told the number of cases with this problem that i found on the web, like 4 more if I remember (that was like 6 months ago).. Heck I even remember seanwee calling my "accusations" about the weak headphones jack a lie for not having proof. Anyways I hope cayin didnt use the same cheap jack design in the 2nd version of this DAP. I have a portable headphone amp from cayin too, and because i use it at home only I cannot tell if the jacks are of good quality build but I will be thinking twice in the future when considering cayin just because no matter if its made in China or Germany or any other country, a 400 dollar mp3 player with weak connectors is a mayor flaw that can`t be overlooked. I want companies that worry about my investment.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #2,933 of 4,108
The 2.5mm/3.5mm port becoming loose is inexcusable. My previous player's port lasted over three years while costing half as much. Every phone I've ever had had zero issue with the port in much harder and longer use - and all of them cost much less than the N5ii.

It was clear from the very first insertion that the port is weak. I also raised this topic on here at the time, but was told it's a non-issue and that other players have similar ports. As if that's supposed to be a consolation. If I knew just how quickly it would become loose I would have returned it right away. Now it's too late.

Cayin N5ii is a DAP which doesn't work properly as a Spotify player because of the awful UX and lost offline files, and will likely be entirely unusable within a year or two due to the ports. I would sell mine due to the Spotify issues alone which will not be fixed as Cayin doesn't have Spotify in China to even test it. But I can't sell it in good conscience because of the ports being so weak. Adding insult to injury, I got the Cayin as it was from a company which supposedly produces good quality products, and my prior player is dead due to the headphone port becoming loose. Almost triple the price, but the port is loose within months, not years.

Can the ports be fixed when they become too loose? Can a shop open it up, and tighten it somehow or replace it with a new one?

Four hundred dollars for a poorly executed DAP, and fawning reviews on Head-Fi didn't give much warning about these issues. I get these DAPs are not phones with manufacturing runs in the millions so that all kinks have been ironed out, but having a hardware feature which is over one hundred years old and costing a dollar or two not working properly in a premium product is inexcusable. And frankly embarrassing.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2,934 of 4,108
My wishlist for the next firmware update to make Spotify experience mostly enjoyable:
  1. Ensure that the player always and every time returns to Spotify when turning the screen back on - or perhaps more appropriately, to whatever app was running when the screen was turned off by a button or time out. It almost never does this currently, as it just returns back to the default player screen even when Spotify is already playing music.
  2. Fix the lost offline files issue
  3. Fix the pause delay (this has always been there with Spotify, it's not only with the latest firmware)
  4. Fix the occasional stuck or non-responding software button or key
If you fix the first one, it alone would make an immense quality of life improvement!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #2,935 of 4,108
The 2.5mm/3.5mm port becoming loose is inexcusable. My previous player's port lasted over three years while costing half as much. Every phone I've ever had had zero issue with the port in much harder and longer use - and all of them cost much less than the N5ii.

It was clear from the very first insertion that the port is weak. I also raised this topic on here at the time, but was told it's a non-issue and that other players have similar ports. As if that's supposed to be a consolation. If I knew just how quickly it would become loose I would have returned it right away. Now it's too late.

Cayin N5ii is a DAP which doesn't work properly as a Spotify player because of the awful UX and lost offline files, and will likely be entirely unusable within a year or two due to the ports. I would sell mine due to the Spotify issues alone which will not be fixed as Cayin doesn't have Spotify in China to even test it. But I can't sell it in good conscience because of the ports being so weak. Adding insult to injury, I got the Cayin as it was from a company which supposedly produces good quality products, and my prior player is dead due to the headphone port becoming loose. Almost triple the price, but the port is loose within months, not years.

Can the ports be fixed when they become too loose? Can a shop open it up, and tighten it somehow or replace it with a new one?

Four hundred dollars for a poorly executed DAP, and fawning reviews on Head-Fi didn't give much warning about these issues. I get these DAPs are not phones with manufacturing runs in the millions so that all kinks have been ironed out, but having a hardware feature which is over one hundred years old and costing a dollar or two not working properly in a premium product is inexcusable. And frankly embarrassing.

Hi, really sorry for the inconvenience! If your N5ii 2.5mm/3.5mm port become loose and affect the normal use, you can contact your retailer to do an inspection at the shop.

Last edited:

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #2,936 of 4,108
My wishlist for the next firmware update to make Spotify experience mostly enjoyable:
  1. Ensure that the player always and every time returns to Spotify when turning the screen back on - or perhaps more appropriately, to whatever app was running when the screen was turned off by a button or time out. It almost never does this currently, as it just returns back to the default player screen even when Spotify is already playing music.
  2. Fix the lost offline files issue
  3. Fix the pause delay (this has always been there with Spotify, it's not only with the latest firmware)
  4. Fix the occasional stuck or non-responding software button or key
If you fix the first one, it alone would make an immense quality of life improvement!

Hi,thank you for your advice!Please see my response in PM.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #2,940 of 4,108
I'm also experiencing the pause delay.

Morning. Just bought a new Cayin N5ii on the back of this forum and a bit of research. I "double wiped" then installed the 3.5en update from internal storage. I played a few FLAC and mp3 files from a 32gb Samsung card.

There is a definite 2-3 second pause between selecting a new track, play/pausing or even skipping within a track. This is in audio priority mode and irrespective of using the hardware buttons or the touchscreen.

The UI is a little better than this thread led me to believe but I think that's a function of the updates. The fragile phono ports are a concern, I must say. I'm probably going to burn it in and take stock. All of these build / software issues shouldn't really be happening in a £300 player. On the back of Twister6 review of the DX120, I might get that instead, although it seems to have a leaner signature than the Cayin. I currently have a DX80 which is warmer and a little more closed in. The display is better, though. UI is so-so.

On another note, I am not interested in network or streaming so Google Play and ES explorer aren't of any use to me. Is there any way I can uninstall them to free up memory (I suspect not)?

Currently using NAD HP50s but have just bought some Shure SRH1540s. Hopefully the Shures will play nice with the Cayin. They were pretty good with the DX80. Would anyone knowledgable in these matters recommend a balanced MMCX cable for them?

Good to be on here. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back