Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Sep 20, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #2,942 of 4,108
My wishlist for the next firmware update to make Spotify experience mostly enjoyable:
  1. Ensure that the player always and every time returns to Spotify when turning the screen back on - or perhaps more appropriately, to whatever app was running when the screen was turned off by a button or time out. It almost never does this currently, as it just returns back to the default player screen even when Spotify is already playing music.
  2. Fix the lost offline files issue
  3. Fix the pause delay (this has always been there with Spotify, it's not only with the latest firmware)
  4. Fix the occasional stuck or non-responding software button or key
If you fix the first one, it alone would make an immense quality of life improvement!

We are working on the pause delay issue right now. Our lab test with N5ii and N5iiS confirmed the pause delay issue, but the delay is not as bad as what have been reported here (2-3 second), nevertheless we are investigating the issue right now, will keep the group informed when we developed the solution.

The delay on Spotify is a different issue, it might share the same symptom but the root cause is different. Third party streaming apps such as Spotify are designed to work with Mobile phones that doesn't have a dedicated play/pause button (or Pre/Next track button for that matters), these features are meant to be executed on touch screen only, or through a special button assignment as dictated by the App, and each app will have their own button assignment and not necessarily agree with each other. In other word, Spotify didn't support the hardware playback buttons of N5ii, all control and navigation through these hardware buttons need to be TRANSCODING back to Spotify's control step and replicate the touch screen instructions. That's why there will be delays. If you press the buttons repeatedly because of the delay, more transcoding will be triggered, and causing even more delay.

Regarding the offline files issue, please be reminded that you didn't actually downloaded the music files to your player or mobile phone, that will infringe the copyright of streaming service, what Spotify offered is offline synchronization of your Spotify playlist. You have been around this topic for quite a while, so I assume you couldn't have missed the discussion on this subject few pages back. But just in case, here are the link to discussion. Please be sensible and bring this issue to Spotify, make sure they counted their offline device correctly. When Spotify said:
(4) You can start an campaign to ask Spotify to include Cayin N5ii in the support list
(5) If you can solicit enough support from Spotify community, Spotify will make N5ii compatible
these are strong evident that Spotify is capable of solving the problem, Cayin is out of reach on this issue.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...al-audio-player.862763/page-192#post-14465339

Lastly, regarding the "always and every time returns to Spotify" request. I would like to clarify your suggestion first. Do you mean in regardless of where the screen location immediately before the screen was locked, you want N5ii to resume at Spotify when the screen turn on again. For example, when you are listening to Spotify, you have go back to the main screen and then start to create a playlist, leave the DAP idle for a while and the sreen go dark, when you come back and press power to light up the screen, you want the N5ii to resume back to Spotify instead of resume back to the playlist screen? Have you verify this situations with mobile phone setting? When you browse Facebook on your iPhone while listening to Spotify on the background, you want the iPhone to skip the Facebook app and resume at Spotify after screen idle?

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 20, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #2,943 of 4,108
We are working on the pause delay issue right now. Our lab test with N5ii and N5iiS confirmed the pause delay issue, but the delay is not as bad as what have been reported here (2-3 second), nevertheless we are investigating the issue right now, will keep the group informed when we developed the solution.

The delay on Spotify is a different issue, it might share the same symptom but the root cause is different. Third party streaming apps such as Spotify are designed to work with Mobile phones that doesn't have a dedicated play/pause button (or Pre/Next track button for that matters), these features are meant to be executed on touch screen only, or through a special button assignment as dictated by the App, and each app will have their own button assignment and not necessarily agree with each other. In other word, Spotify didn't support the hardware playback buttons of N5ii, all control and navigation through these hardware buttons need to be TRANSCODING back to Spotify's control step and replicate the touch screen instructions. That's why there will be delays. If you press the buttons repeatedly because of the delay, more transcoding will be triggered, and causing even more delay.

Thanks for the context, always surprised to see how complex some things are which look simple to the end user!

Regarding the offline files issue, I want to rectify your concept that you didn't actually downloaded the music files to your player or mobile phone, that will infringe the copyright of streaming service, what Spotify offered is offline synchronization of your Spotify playlist. You have been around this topic for quite a while, so I assume you couldn't have missed the discussion on this subject few pages back. But just in case, here are the link to discussion. Please be sensible and bring this issue to Spotify, make sure they counted their offline device correctly. When Spotify said:
(4) You can start an campaign to ask Spotify to include Cayin N5ii in the support list
(5) If you can solicit enough support from Spotify community, Spotify will make N5ii compatible
these are strong evident that Spotify is capable of solving the problem, Cayin is out of reach on this issue.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...al-audio-player.862763/page-192#post-14465339

Yes, I'm aware of the previous discussion. Given the threads about these issues run pages and pages on Spotify forums with no response, I doubt they will (be able to?) fix it. Why it seems to be more prevalent in DAPs than phones I don't know.

Although I and others can pitch in by posting on Spotify forums and raising tickets with them, I feel ultimately it is the responsibility of the wider dev community to engage Spotify and/or Google to get this fixed, not your customers. It's clearly not limited to N5ii or even DAPs, but some (most?) phones or manufacturers have either solved this issue, or it doesn't need solving because they don't have some feature or bug which breaks Spotify.

Lastly, regarding the "always and every time returns to Spotify" request. I would like to clarify your suggestion first. Do you mean in regardless of where the screen location immediately before the screen was locked, you want N5ii to resume at Spotify when the screen turn on again.

I'd like the player to return to Spotify if it's running, or at least playing music. If it's running the native music player, it should return to it instead.

To simplify: the OS should return to whatever app was in the foreground at the time the screen went off. I'm sure all users would prefer this behavior.

For example, when you are listening to Spotify, you have go back to the main screen and then start to create a playlist, leave the DAP idle for a while and the sreen go dark, when you come back and press power to light up the screen, you want the N5ii to resume back to Spotify instead of resume back to the playlist screen?

If I'm working no a non-Spotify playlist, I will probably want the player to return to the playlist creation. See the above bolded comment.

Have you verify this situations with mobile phone setting? When you browse Facebook on your iPhone while listening to Spotify on the background, you want the iPhone to skip the Facebook app and resume at Spotify after screen idle?

My Android phone returns to Spotify or whatever app was in the foreground at the time the screen was turned off by me, or by timeout. If Spotify is playing music but I have internet browser in the foreground, it returns to the latter app. If I have multiple apps in the background, but Spotify is playing music or idle and is in the foreground, the phone will return to Spotify. Again, this is the preferred and most intuitive behavior, as you can just continue doing whatever you were doing before.

I don't have an iPhone to test, but I imagine it's the same.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #2,944 of 4,108
Two questions regarding the N5iiS

1) when connected to a laptop in usb-dac mode.... does the N5iiS charges itself (if the battery is not full) while playing music? Can we prevent the N5iiS from charging itself in usb-dac mode? as the drain on the laptop's battery would be too high (experienced with my Fiio X7)

2) when connected to a NAS drive, does the N5iiS list the songs of one album according to the song number (which is good)... or alphabetically (which is NOT good) (again, I have this issue with the X7)

Tks!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #2,945 of 4,108

Regarding the offline files issue, I want to rectify your concept that you didn't actually downloaded the music files to your player or mobile phone, that will infringe the copyright of streaming service, what Spotify offered is offline synchronization of your Spotify playlist. You have been around this topic for quite a while, so I assume you couldn't have missed the discussion on this subject few pages back. But just in case, here are the link to discussion. Please be sensible and bring this issue to Spotify, make sure they counted their offline device correctly. When Spotify said:

Lastly, regarding the "always and every time returns to Spotify" request. I would like to clarify your suggestion first. Do you mean in regardless of where the screen location immediately before the screen was locked, you want N5ii to resume at Spotify when the screen turn on again. For example, when you are listening to Spotify, you have go back to the main screen and then start to create a playlist, leave the DAP idle for a while and the sreen go dark, when you come back and press power to light up the screen, you want the N5ii to resume back to Spotify instead of resume back to the playlist screen? Have you verify this situations with mobile phone setting? When you browse Facebook on your iPhone while listening to Spotify on the background, you want the iPhone to skip the Facebook app and resume at Spotify after screen idle?

Hi All greetings from Singapore , New to this tread coming from Onkyo DP-X1a. However the headphone jack broke again last week (third incident) so I decided to buy the N5iiS and absolutely love it.
Just wanted to let Andy know that I also experience the 2-3 sec delay. If I reset the device to factory and delete the cache partition the delay decreases to 1 sec. But after using the device for a few hours it increases again to 2-3 sec. Hopefully Cayin finds a solution.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #2,949 of 4,108
Yeah, there is definitely a delay when pressing play or pause. For me it is even up to 4 seconds long. Just got my new N5iis, everything else is fantastic. But I can live with this delay issue.

Sep 22, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #2,951 of 4,108
The 2.5mm/3.5mm port becoming loose is inexcusable. My previous player's port lasted over three years while costing half as much. Every phone I've ever had had zero issue with the port in much harder and longer use - and all of them cost much less than the N5ii.

It was clear from the very first insertion that the port is weak. I also raised this topic on here at the time, but was told it's a non-issue and that other players have similar ports. As if that's supposed to be a consolation. If I knew just how quickly it would become loose I would have returned it right away. Now it's too late.

Cayin N5ii is a DAP which doesn't work properly as a Spotify player because of the awful UX and lost offline files, and will likely be entirely unusable within a year or two due to the ports. I would sell mine due to the Spotify issues alone which will not be fixed as Cayin doesn't have Spotify in China to even test it. But I can't sell it in good conscience because of the ports being so weak. Adding insult to injury, I got the Cayin as it was from a company which supposedly produces good quality products, and my prior player is dead due to the headphone port becoming loose. Almost triple the price, but the port is loose within months, not years.

Can the ports be fixed when they become too loose? Can a shop open it up, and tighten it somehow or replace it with a new one?

Four hundred dollars for a poorly executed DAP, and fawning reviews on Head-Fi didn't give much warning about these issues. I get these DAPs are not phones with manufacturing runs in the millions so that all kinks have been ironed out, but having a hardware feature which is over one hundred years old and costing a dollar or two not working properly in a premium product is inexcusable. And frankly embarrassing.
What is more likely to happen is that the soldering will become lose and they will need to re-solder the headphone plug to the circuit board. The plug by itself seems ok although I have noticed a small decrease in the snugging force of my 2.5mm jack, but not too much and hopefully it won't loose much more strength over time.

I have also never ever had another problem with any of the devices i have had in my life, lets say like 20 smarphones and couple sansa's players a sony, an ipod nano , an ipod and recently 2 fiios and lets not mention a few portable amps and a couple of portable dacs and non portable dacs, all and never ever had a headphone jack problem. Hell i never even had a problem with cassette walkmans or discmans and had also a couple of each too and was a kid lol, ok enough rant, but i get how angry you feel, im with you to comfort you :)

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #2,953 of 4,108
Hi All,
I got this device for three days demo from a local seller.
I updated to latest firmware 3.5 through OTA and it's not charging since then, it simply getting hot. I tried factory reset a couple of times but no help.
Is it possible to revert to the old firmware?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #2,954 of 4,108
Hi All,
I got this device for three days demo from a local seller.
I updated to latest firmware 3.5 through OTA and it's not charging since then, it simply getting hot. I tried factory reset a couple of times but no help.
Is it possible to revert to the old firmware?
That is what happened to mine. Only an RMA will fix your device.

Not changing and simply getting hot means that the battery has mulfunctioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back