Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Aug 7, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #2,776 of 4,108
Mine arrived today when I really like it. Much smaller than my dx150 and 2 micro sd slots. This and m0 will be my portable and work solutions. I'm not going to bother with Spotify on it but I can't get hiby music player to download. What music player software do you rec?

Lovely clear sound on this player.

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #2,778 of 4,108
Atticus & N5ii 01.jpg

Here's an fun piece from my most recent review of the ZMF Atticus

Astell&Kern developed a serious bad-ass in the A&futura SE100 ($1,599). This DAP renders a clean, clear, satiny tone. Just a touch of warmth to avoid coldness. Incredible resolution. Such vivid details, with a dynamic, punchy sound. Atticus takes on a more reference personality, producing effortless, elegant smoothness, and crystalline clarity. All this, and a wide, open soundscape. It makes you appreciate these cans in a whole new way.

The Cayin N5ii ($370, Review HERE) is my recommendation if you’re tempted by the SE100, but can’t spend more than a fraction of its asking price. Everything I wrote about the AK applies to the N5ii, but on a slightly diminished scale. They sound so very alike. And now that this particular model is discontinued, if you move fast, you may snatch one for a nice discount. Or spent $500 on the N5iiS. Cayin’s player makes a lovely friend for Atticus. You really must hear them together.

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #2,779 of 4,108
Well no issues with my 3.5mm headphone jack until now. Left channel is cutting out unless I position the plug just right.

What is my easiest solution to resolve this? I bought it on Amazon in the US.

Very disappointing since I only have about 4 charge cycles on this and only use it at home.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #2,780 of 4,108
Well no issues with my 3.5mm headphone jack until now. Left channel is cutting out unless I position the plug just right.

What is my easiest solution to resolve this? I bought it on Amazon in the US.

Very disappointing since I only have about 4 charge cycles on this and only use it at home.

Did you tried the DAP with other 3.5mm earphones? If you have tested the DAP with more then one headphone and still having the same problem, then its likely a hardware problem, probably a loose connection in the 3.5mm socket.

If you are buying from Amazon US, the N5ii is most likely shipped by MusicTeck, you can contact them directly at info@musicteck.com, Andrew from MusicTeck always take good care of his customers.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 8, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #2,781 of 4,108
When is the N5iiS available for purchase? I remember reading end of July but haven’t found any luck.

The N5iiS is available in China market since the last week of July, and our regular practice is to start shipping to oversee dealers around 2 weeks later. In fact we just send the first batch of N5iiS to Singapore and we'll fulfill the orders to US, UK, France and Australia within 2 days.

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #2,782 of 4,108
It has been a really long time. We have been waiting for a firmware for the USB DAC issue.. It should not have taken such a long time!..

I do not recommend N5ii/N5iis at all if using the player by usb connection as a transport is important for you.

We are still working on it, sorry for taking much longer then we expected. I concur with CongoFather's suggestion that if USB DAC is a deal breaker, please wait and consider other options.

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #2,783 of 4,108
@Andykong Please answer me, why sometimes N5II run a 9 or 13 apps, because then I have problem with Neutron app. I cleared app before I run Neutron app, sometimes is OK, sometimes automatically run 10 or 14 apps, and there are problem with Neutron, no sound. I hearing he run app in earphones, because there are no black background only hiss and hum, because I have very sensitive CIEM 7,3 (+-0,9) Ohm.
I don't want this x application, because for me N5II have good sound only on Neutron Player. How I make no turn on this 9 or 13 apps?

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #2,784 of 4,108

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #2,785 of 4,108
Well, based on the number you provided, even the N5iiS can be considered as "a fraction of " the asking price. :ksc75smile:
Lol A&K Daps have always, always been overpriced :p

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #2,786 of 4,108
@Andykong Please answer me, why sometimes N5II run a 9 or 13 apps, because then I have problem with Neutron app. I cleared app before I run Neutron app, sometimes is OK, sometimes automatically run 10 or 14 apps, and there are problem with Neutron, no sound. I hearing he run app in earphones, because there are no black background only hiss and hum, because I have very sensitive CIEM 7,3 (+-0,9) Ohm.
I don't want this x application, because for me N5II have good sound only on Neutron Player. How I make no turn on this 9 or 13 apps?

Neutron is a very resource-hungry application, with only 1GB RAM, the N5ii is indeed very marginally for this application. If you haven't install any other third party applications, then probably you can't remove these background app. Some of these are coming from Google Service or apps from Android kernel.

If you have installed other third party app, it is possible then they have left their trace in the background, some of them are sneaky to hide in the background even you have deleted them, Android is never good enough to stop these tricks You have to perform a complete factory reset and install your applications again, keep your third party applications to minimum.

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #2,787 of 4,108

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #2,788 of 4,108
Today is the 25th birthday of Cayin, we served the high-end audio business since 8th August 1993 and have developed over 400 Hi-Fi products in past 25 years, ranging from amplifier to Digital Audio Players (DAP). We pay attention to detail because we believe this is what it takes to reproduce music naturally. With your blessing, we shall continue to work with dedication and strive for excellence for the years to come.

Cayin 25 Anniversary Poster (N8).jpg

N8 DAP is the keynote product of our Silver Jubilee celebration. This is our first price-no-objective high-end flagship portable digital audio player and it delivers best possible high resolution audio performance to portable users. Please check out our official N8 launch video for more detail.

Last edited:

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #2,789 of 4,108
Neutron is a very resource-hungry application, with only 1GB RAM, the N5ii is indeed very marginally for this application. If you haven't install any other third party applications, then probably you can't remove these background app. Some of these are coming from Google Service or apps from Android kernel.

If you have installed other third party app, it is possible then they have left their trace in the background, some of them are sneaky to hide in the background even you have deleted them, Android is never good enough to stop these tricks You have to perform a complete factory reset and install your applications again, keep your third party applications to minimum.

Thanks for answer. I haven't install any other third party applications. I thinking about Android kernel and Google service. Not good, because I no use N5II for DAP. Maybe N8 will be good for me, I can't wait for listening.

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #2,790 of 4,108
With my recent headphone jack issue I may be in the market for a new device. Hard to pass up the $299 on a new N5ii.

For those of you who are able to demo a number of devices. Is the N5ii still the best choice at the $300 level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back