Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Mar 4, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #1,591 of 2,546
A quick question, is the hissing on the balanced output still bad? I am going balanced, but my iem is quite sensitive... Would appreciate your help. Thanks.

We didn't improve the hissing problem on the recent firmware upgrade, there is still audible hissing noise when you are using highly sensitive IEMs at Balanced mode.

If you tell us the IEM model, maybe we can be more certain in telling you whether this could be a problem.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 4, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #1,592 of 2,546
Helo guys,

I listened dx80 recently and i really love the sound. I didn't have chance to listen to n5 and in my place, n5 is almost $100 cheaper than dx80. I'm torn between these two as i read that n5 is in the same league with dx80. N5 has more powerful amp than dx80. Any helps?

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #1,593 of 2,546
We didn't improve the hissing problem on the recent firmware upgrade, there is still audible hissing noise when you are using highly sensitive IEMs at Balanced mode.

If you tell us the IEM model, maybe we can be more certain in telling you whether this could be a problem.

I'll try to take advantage of the opportunity
smily_headphones1.gif

What about HIFIMAN HE-400S? They are not highly sensitive, but any degradation of sound quality (hissing) would not be welcome. I am considering to make them balanced, but a decent cable is pretty pricy (~$90 at eBay).
Would it worth a try in your opinion?

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,594 of 2,546

It's a demo version of the CIEM version of the FLC8S. They'll be available outside of China soon. Finally!

Man, think I'll have to wait on the 8's for these
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #1,595 of 2,546

Thanks for the reply. I am using Noble PR, couldn't find the rated sensitivity. I appreciate your help a lot

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #1,596 of 2,546
Hi, just got N5. I wanna ask if volume dial is a bit drag or not? Thanks.

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #1,598 of 2,546
It is stiff at first but will loosen up:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 5, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #1,600 of 2,546
On russian player.ru forum gained popularity customised firmware with truncated bootup and shutdown animations. This allowed to reduce a bit startup and shutdown time. After CH23 expressed his scepticism in Fiio X7's topic, I've decided to make a measurements. Unfortunately, my internet is really ^%&&tty now, so I can't upload video, but I think this result can be easily re-checked by anyone.

So, I've tried stock firmware, made 5 measurements, using stopwatch in my Pebble. Average boot time is 13.95 seconds from the initial press of On button, and shutdown is 7.06 seconds. With animations cut, bootup is 9.87 seconds, shutdown is 3.34 seconds. Actually, it's not "night and day", but a kind of improvement.

FW is here: http://d.pr/f/UpcS besides truncated animations it has some improvements in russian font and localisation, but i doubt it will be interesting for anybody here :)

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,602 of 2,546
On russian player.ru forum gained popularity customised firmware with truncated bootup and shutdown animations. This allowed to reduce a bit startup and shutdown time. After @CH23 expressed his scepticism in Fiio X7's topic, I've decided to make a measurements. Unfortunately, my internet is really ^%&&tty now, so I can't upload video, but I think this result can be easily re-checked by anyone.

So, I've tried stock firmware, made 5 measurements, using stopwatch in my Pebble. Average boot time is 13.95 seconds from the initial press of On button, and shutdown is 7.06 seconds. With animations cut, bootup is 9.87 seconds, shutdown is 3.34 seconds. Actually, it's not "night and day", but a kind of improvement.

FW is here: http://d.pr/f/UpcS besides truncated animations it has some improvements in russian font and localisation, but i doubt it will be interesting for anybody here
smily_headphones1.gif

science! ***** yeah!

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #1,604 of 2,546
Hi, just got N5. I wanna ask if volume dial is a bit drag or not? Thanks.

you will need to apply pressure on the surface of the dial for it to be effective.  practice makes perfect. enjoy!

Thanks, I thought mine was defect LoL (ex ipod & fiio user) :D

Also I have some DFF DSD128 track, sometimes i hear some cracking and grainy noise, no prob with FLAC or else, I'm on 3.0 fw.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #1,605 of 2,546
I have an N5 coming soon, really interested trying it with my IEMs.

I've used Cayin N6 extensively in the past so I already have a taste for Cayin's products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back