Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Jan 15, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,321 of 2,546
I'm thinking about getting one of these to compare to my X5. 2 micro SD slots plus the balanced jack for the same price sounds awesome...my only question is what is the best headphone (around $300) to use with the 2.5mm balanced jack, and where can I get a cable that would fit the balanced jack? Thanks for your help!

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #1,322 of 2,546
Hi Andy,

Infortunately, I sent back my previous N5 without note the S/N, So I can't give you the one concerned.

One other thing is that I received my new N5 this week and...there is no issue at all. No dead pixel, volume buttons are quite more well fixed than the previous one. Still the same SQ of course, so I'm starting to enjoy it again!

One last thing I wanted to say is about the French translation of the FW which is...how to say? Terrible. Thought I put the most part of my devices in English, It still important to remember some french speaking users don't speak English at all (just take a look at mine...not realy correct :wink: ). So if Cayin team needs help, I can submit a translation of the firmware more accurate than a "Google Translate" one. No offense! :wink:

Brilliant, glad to know that you are in good hands.

We certainly are grateful for your kind support. Drop me a PM when you have marked our mistake or prepared the new UI wording and I'll make sure the menu will be rectified as soon as possible.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 15, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #1,323 of 2,546
Some pictures of my collection.
I have a question I can't figure out with the cayin n5 how to change a track with the screen off... Is there an option to do this if not maybe a future firmware upgrade?

90180a7f0c689ba18975c5d1864e6f54.jpg
47ed90c37234e22aea009c8b7df79b15.jpg
bada9ca267c810ad3b099d6aae946ca9.jpg

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

A very interesting collection, I can't recognize the two on the far left, are they still available in market?

N5 uses the three side button for blind-control at lock screen mode:

Volume +: short click to increase volume, press on to Previous track
Volume -: short click to decrease volume, press on to Next track
Menu: Short click to pause or resume playback.

You can find these instruction from the N5 user manual provided.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #1,325 of 2,546
Andykong: If I'm not mistaken, the leftmost is an old iRiver MP3 player and second from left is an old Dell MP3 player.

andione1983: No iRiver IHP series or Rio Karma?
:wink_face:

H120 coming when I find the right one.. :wink:

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,326 of 2,546
Andykong: If I'm not mistaken, the leftmost is an old iRiver MP3 player and second from left is an old Dell MP3 player.

andione1983: No iRiver IHP series or Rio Karma?
:wink_face:

Thanks, I saw the word 'Dell" on the player, I just didn't aware that Dell has been in the MP3 market, interesting.

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,327 of 2,546
Thanks, I saw the word 'Dell" on the player, I just didn't aware that Dell has been in the MP3 market, interesting.

It was short lived, Dell did not sell enough to keep on producing them. Several IT Tech's got them at my work years ago because our University had a great deal with Dell
wink_face.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Digital_Jukebox

Here you go:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2006/feb/09/guardianweeklytechnologysection.dell

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #1,328 of 2,546
I am in search of a device that can be a desktop DAC and portable DAP for my travel needs, N5 seems to be the only reasonable DAP that is capable to do these both with 2.0 volts line out which is what a typical desktop DAC would do. I was not able to track any DAP  In the same price range as N5 that can output 2.0 Volts on line out.

How is the DAC quality of N5 using USB input?

Does N5 allow you to change EQ with line out or is it only meant for headphones?

Thx

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #1,329 of 2,546
Hello Andy,

A few pages back, I was wondering if after a power off, when the power was turned back on, if the song could continue where it left off.  You came back with an answer that the song will resume, but from the beginning the song.  I was satisfied with that answer.  However, over the last week or so of playing music at work, the song is coming back playing right where it left off, mid-song!!!!  I couldn't believe, but I tried it a couple of times and it seemed consistent.  So then I wondered if was during a hard power off/on only or would do the same thing after a soft power off from sitting idle too long and I believe, upon power on, it resumed the song mid-song, does this sound crazy or what???

One other suggestion. Do you think it would be possible to have the main button in the middle of the wheel turn on the display after it goes dark during playback.  When I am sitting at my desk working and I want to see a song title real quick, I need to stop working, use both hands and hold the player while it the power button on top.  It would be nice to just have to hit the big button on the front of the player, which only takes one hand as the player is sitting on the desk.  

Still loving the N5...great product.

Thanks as always,
MontMozart 

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,330 of 2,546
  Hello Andy,

A few pages back, I was wondering if after a power off, when the power was turned back on, if the song could continue where it left off.  You came back with an answer that the song will resume, but from the beginning the song.  I was satisfied with that answer.  However, over the last week or so of playing music at work, the song is coming back playing right where it left off, mid-song!!!!  I couldn't believe, but I tried it a couple of times and it seemed consistent.  So then I wondered if was during a hard power off/on only or would do the same thing after a soft power off from sitting idle too long and I believe, upon power on, it resumed the song mid-song, does this sound crazy or what???

One other suggestion. Do you think it would be possible to have the main button in the middle of the wheel turn on the display after it goes dark during playback.  When I am sitting at my desk working and I want to see a song title real quick, I need to stop working, use both hands and hold the player while it the power button on top.  It would be nice to just have to hit the big button on the front of the player, which only takes one hand as the player is sitting on the desk.  

Still loving the N5...great product.

Thanks as always,
MontMozart 

Just to add on pertaining to this "breakpoint resume" function...

When the song resumes after power-on, it begins playing automatically. Now, if the user decided to plug in a different pair of phones with very different power requirements, it can be quite a shocker... Would it be better that after power-on, the player goes to that position (whether is 0sec or exact last position) and pause it there?

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #1,331 of 2,546

When the song resumes after power-on, it begins playing automatically. Now, if the user decided to plug in a different pair of phones with very different power requirements, it can be quite a shocker... Would it be better that after power-on, the player goes to that position (whether is 0sec or exact last position) and pause it there?

Great idea!

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #1,332 of 2,546

When the song resumes after power-on, it begins playing automatically. Now, if the user decided to plug in a different pair of phones with very different power requirements, it can be quite a shocker...

That is why I activated the option "Setup startup volume" in Menu
:)

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #1,333 of 2,546
My N5 has a start up volume set to 20. If I remember rightly it was set to that from the factory settings :sunglasses:

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #1,335 of 2,546
I am in search of a device that can be a desktop DAC and portable DAP for my travel needs, N5 seems to be the only reasonable DAP that is capable to do these both with 2.0 volts line out which is what a typical desktop DAC would do. I was not able to track any DAP  In the same price range as N5 that can output 2.0 Volts on line out.

How is the DAC quality of N5 using USB input?

Does N5 allow you to change EQ with line out or is it only meant for headphones?

Thx

SQ using DAC USB is simply great, the same which Come from the player itself. You should know I sold my Onkyo DAC-HA200 cause the N5 replaced it. It is powerful enought to drive any kind of headphones without any amp. N5 is now my DAP, as well as my portable dac usb/Amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back