Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Oct 27, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #931 of 2,546
First impression is that N5's sound is between C5 and N6. I was a big fan of the C5's sound but found the N6's sound a bit too analytical, so the N5 is a great compromise for me.

Beauty shot

And right back at ya!!!

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #932 of 2,546
Oct 27, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #933 of 2,546
Beauty with wings...

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #934 of 2,546
  Beauty with wings...

Just had to join those dasterdly dogs eh Eric
rolleyes.gif
Nice shot and once again we get the Chix Wings in there
wink_face.gif
LOL

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #935 of 2,546

Just had to join those dasterdly dogs eh Eric
rolleyes.gif
Nice shot and once again we get the Chix Wings in there
wink_face.gif
LOL

Disclaimer: No greasy fingers came into contact with the electronics in the shooting of this (or other) images making up the "Chix Wings" photo shoot.

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #936 of 2,546

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #937 of 2,546
After a few battery drain cycles to get a feel of battery life and also to run in a little, finally got to sit down to configure a bit... mainly set up a playlist, only to realise there isn't any!

I have been so used to X5's UI, and the decision to buy N5 is also partly based on correlation. They are probably anything above 95% the same in terms of UI/navi. The one gripe I had was also the N5 wheel, it being rather stiff and hence not very efficient when scrolling through long lists of folders/tracks compared to the Fiio. I've since gotten over that.

But...... seriously, no playlist??? That was really something I took for granted and hence did not compare.

I could add tracks to Favorites, no problem. It works similar to having a playlist, just that it's limited to one set. Not a problem also since I'm working on a single playlist anyway. However, when I play by category (Favorites), the tracks are all sorted by alphanumeric. My prefered sequencing is gone. 

So... may I suggest the Playlist function be added in for the next firmware? I thought this would be a very useful function for many users.

I agree with every word. Playlists are really needed

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #938 of 2,546
After a few battery drain cycles to get a feel of battery life and also to run in a little, finally got to sit down to configure a bit... mainly set up a playlist, only to realise there isn't any!

I have been so used to X5's UI, and the decision to buy N5 is also partly based on correlation. They are probably anything above 95% the same in terms of UI/navi. The one gripe I had was also the N5 wheel, it being rather stiff and hence not very efficient when scrolling through long lists of folders/tracks compared to the Fiio. I've since gotten over that.

But...... seriously, no playlist??? That was really something I took for granted and hence did not compare.

I could add tracks to Favorites, no problem. It works similar to having a playlist, just that it's limited to one set. Not a problem also since I'm working on a single playlist anyway. However, when I play by category (Favorites), the tracks are all sorted by alphanumeric. My prefered sequencing is gone. 

So... may I suggest the Playlist function be added in for the next firmware? I thought this would be a very useful function for many users.

We are working at the M3U playlist function in N5, I don't have a delivery schedule but I have checked with the Engineer today and looks like the progress is satisfactory and there is a good chance that the M3U playlist will be available in next firmware update, will keep the group informed when I have more news regarding this feature.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 28, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #939 of 2,546
Have not realized how to see lyrics yet. I turned "Lyric" on in "Menu" (as well as "Album Art"), but I can see an Album Cover only. How can I switch to lyrics?
And IMO it would be nice to have the detailed N5 User Manual available for download at http://en.cayin.cn/news.asp?keys=222.

N5 support lyrics through LRC file format, this is is a computer file format that synchronizes song lyrics with an audio file.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LRC_%28file_format%29

Once you have created or downloaded the correct LRC file for a particular audio file, you must save the file with the file extension .lrc. The audio file and the LRC file must be saved with same file name for the two to work together. Copy the LRC file into the same folder as the audio file in your TF card, N5 should recognize the LRC file when the audio file is played and display the lyric accordingly.

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #940 of 2,546
We are working at the M3U playlist function in N5, I don't have a delivery schedule but I have checked with the Engineer today and looks like the progress is satisfactory and there is a good chance that the M3U playlist will be available in next firmware update, will keep the group informed when I have more news regarding this feature.

Great news! Thank you so much :)
Nevertheless could you clarify it, please: can (and how?) I see lyrics instead of Album Art?

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #942 of 2,546

That's great news! Looking forward!

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #943 of 2,546
I have compared some navigation logic between N5 and X5 and realised that N5 is what the X5 was on much earlier firmware (highlighted that on X5 thread last time). The later + current X5 navi logic have improved and I was totally satisfied.

The area in particular is with the press-n'-hold BACK key to jump from play screen straight to main menu to do whatever adjustment you want in settings etc. When done, pressing the BACK key once will go back to play screen. However, I can no longer BACK again to navigate through folders/submenus. Pressing BACK repeatedly will just cycle through play screen and main menu. I can still select tracks with the wheel but will be limited to tracks in that folder. If i had played via the music library -> TF card -> multiple folders route, I have to start all over from main menu if I want to play from another folder. 

For X5, it is like a closed loop... whether via folder navi, or music category (album/artist/playlist). Press-n'-hold BACK simply jumps to main menu but the loop remains. Press BACK once it jumps back to play screen and still within that loop. So from there if press once BACK again, it REALLY goes back 1 level in that loop and not straight to main menu. This helps tremendously in terms of tracks selection.

For N5, besides the press-n'-hold sequence, EVEN if I start off from main menu -> music library -> TF card -> abc folders/track... from play screen I just press once BACK, it goes back 1 level yes... 1 by 1 all the way back to main menu. But from there if I continue pressing BACK, it will now cycle between play screen and main menu also.

Take a look at the video I've uploaded and you guys would know what I mean :)

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #944 of 2,546
The second leg of the world tour should be finishing unless there is special arrangement, please remember to drop me a line if you have mail the N5 out already.

By the way, we are all anxiously waiting for the impression from the first reviewers, aren't we? :D :D :D

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #945 of 2,546
The second leg of the world tour should be finishing unless there is special arrangement, please remember to drop me a line if you have mail the N5 out already.

By the way, we are all anxiously waiting for the impression from the first reviewers, aren't we?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

My review is here for those that are interested

http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-n5-dsd-lossless-music-player/reviews/14399

Users who are viewing this thread

Back