Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Oct 17, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #826 of 2,546
I can't see any new firmware for the N5 on Cayin website...:confused:

It hasn't been released yet. I got an email from Andy Kong with the new firmware attached. He wanted the first of us on the tour to try it out before we sent the unit on to the next fellow. Expect an official release very soon, I think.

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #827 of 2,546
  I can't see any new firmware for the N5 on Cayin website...
confused.gif

It is at chinese version of Cayin website
http://cn.cayin.cn/UploadFiles/2015-10/N5%202.0%20.rar

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #828 of 2,546
Bloody hell! The new 2.0 firmware has the N5 nipping at the X5's heels.

The N5 is warmer than it used to be, with much better bass. That metallic sound I didn't like is gone! Their signatures are now VERY close to one another.

I feel the X5 is just a bit cleaner. Its depth is notably deeper, while its width is only wider by a very small margin.

Cayin's N5 is perhaps too much like the X5 for it's own good. Personally, I like warmer-sounding equipment... to a point. There are others, though, who prefer brighter gear. The N5 will no longer suit their needs. It's as warm as the X5 Classic now, while not quite matching it's sound quality.

It's bloody close, though. You take into account the superior build and dead-sexy look, and it's a mean draw. The Cayin N5 also has deep sleep like the X5ii.

I would feel confident recommending the N5 over the X5 Classic. Those who have the X5ii will need to make that comparison.

Balanced out is still noisy. Perhaps it's less so than before... not sure.

What's super weird is that Balanced out has not been touched by the warmer sig that singled-ended now sports. It's every bit as bright as before. Still sounds pretty darn good, though. Unfortunately for Cayin, I must compare it to the Balanced-Out on my AK120ii, which is a much, much smoother, more natural character.

In balanced, using Angie, the N5 is so bright and detailed it gets a little sibilant on naturally bright records. This is not a pleasant experience for folk like me who are allergic to sibilance.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1
I could not have possibly worded it better than you did here. The new firmware really makes the N5 a top contender. I just wish it was installed when I first got it.
IMO taking the edge of the treble does make the soundstage a little less clear or obvious but it's still one of the best.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #831 of 2,546

Are we talking about the final 2.0 or the beta version of it?

Well, after the firmware update, my player says it's got firmware version 2.0, not 1.something Beta.
I'm assuming we're pretty much getting close to the final UI and sound touchups.
2.0 sounds much better than the Beta one I had.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #832 of 2,546
Ok, here is my quick impression after testing N5 fw 2.0 for about 10min.

1) There is a delay when you press Play after the pause.  Almost like N5 goes to sleep and you wake it up; delay is noticeable and not exactly pleasant.

2) Hissing is still there with sensitive low impedance IEMs, just not when N5 is idle (paused), but you can hear it when fast-forwarding (noticeable with 8 ohm DN2000J).  But in general you won't hear it with typical common impedance IEMs.  This also proves my theory that when you hit Pause, N5 goes into some deep sleep with output stage being disabled.

3) Sound is a touch warmer, a little smoother, more organic, and feels like bass is a bit deeper, but the retrieval of details still remains the same.  I actually like this, brings it more into A&K and L&P territory of natural/organic tones.

4) In balanced 2.5mm output, soundstage is a little wider now.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #833 of 2,546
Are we talking about the final 2.0 or the beta version of it?

Based on the email, I believe it's the official 2.0. The device agrees.

Who knows for sure.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #835 of 2,546
Oct 17, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #837 of 2,546
Allow me to explain, after the firmware is verified been to the weekend, but CAYIN English server upload has been a problem, but we can not link to the service operators and technical personnel, so they need on Monday morning may be able to resume normal upload.

ANDY notified by e-mail everyone in the hope that the official, the latest firmware in N5 time exhibited by everyone to understand and use.

Thank you.

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #838 of 2,546

1) There is a delay when you press Play after the pause.  Almost like N5 goes to sleep and you wake it up; delay is noticeable and not exactly pleasant.

I wonder if that's intentional. I'm guessing it's added to make the battery last longer but it is annoying especially if you forget that such a feature exists and press the play button multiple times.
I can't really find anything in the new firmware instructions that explains this new feature so @Andykong, can you please clarify or explain this feature for us?

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #839 of 2,546
Ok, here is my quick impression after testing N5 fw 2.0 for about 10min.

2) Hissing is still there with sensitive low impedance IEMs, just not when N5 is idle (paused), but you can hear it when fast-forwarding (noticeable with 8 ohm DN2000J).  But in general you won't hear it with typical common impedance IEMs.  This also proves my theory that when you hit Pause, N5 goes into some deep sleep with output stage being disabled.

3) Sound is a touch warmer, a little smoother, more organic, and feels like bass is a bit deeper, but the retrieval of details still remains the same.  I actually like this, brings it more into A&K and L&P territory of natural/organic tones.

4) In balanced 2.5mm output, soundstage is a little wider now.

Can you verify that 2.5mm is still quite bright, while 3.5mm is a good bit warmer than before?

I just want to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

Of course, I am testing those outputs with two different IEMs. Angie on balanced, IM03 on single-ended. But their profiles are close enough, I think I'm hearing it right.

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #840 of 2,546
  I wonder if that's intentional. I'm guessing it's added to make the battery last longer but it is annoying especially if you forget that such a feature exists and press the play button multiple times.
I can't really find anything in the new firmware instructions that explains this new feature so @Andykong, can you please clarify or explain this feature for us?

There this content, optimizing content in the first article, the relay works belong part power management, but this is to ensure that the suspension into a deep sleep after half an hour of a condition.

We will continue to optimize the firmware, no one in the music frequently pause / play, this is not a common use, so we determined this change. Of course, CAYIN will focus on everyone's opinions and collecting

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back