Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Sep 14, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #587 of 2,546
Have been in hospital for the past few days, I consider myself a very lucky man so I can comeback to continue our lovely chats on the Cayin N5. :D

By the way, The N5 TOUR is approaching the end of application period, I shall close the application in less then a day (US West Coast Time), anyone interested in joining the N5 Tour, this is the final call to jump on-board. :D :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 14, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #588 of 2,546
Have been in hospital for the past few days, I consider myself a very lucky man so I can comeback to continue our lovely chats on the Cayin N5. :D

By the way, The N5 TOUR is approaching the end of application period, I shall close the application in less then a day (US West Coast Time), anyone interested in joining the N5 Tour, this is the final call to jump on-board. :D :D

Hospital?! :eek: Hope all is well.......

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #589 of 2,546
Have been in hospital for the past few days, I consider myself a very lucky man so I can comeback to continue our lovely chats on the Cayin N5.
biggrin.gif

Good to see you back here. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #590 of 2,546
So I have my N5.  First impressions good packaging really nice device great design.  Dosent seem to be any issue with the scroll wheel, its a little stiff but nothing to be concerned with, gui is easy to navigate with the wheel and buttons, much better than touch in my opinion.

Paired up straight away with the C5 amp and set the digital filter to super slow (What does this actually do?) using my Oppo PM3s. Only had about an hour and im not too sure on the sound.  Fast and multiple guitars seem a little unfocused and clarity could be better sounds like they are blending together.  In the slow more melodic songs or where there was not a lot going on, it was very nice.

Mids seem forward and nice bass when its there.  Ill be giving it more testing this afternoon after work. 

Do devices need a burn in (for lack of a better term)?  Ibasso recommended 400 hours for the DX90 with the FIIO I don't remember reading that it needed anything and I did play it overnight to burn in headphones.  Just wondering if the sound will open up a little after some use.

Will report back when I have had a proper listen.

Sep 14, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #591 of 2,546
  So I have my N5.  First impressions good packaging really nice device great design.  Dosent seem to be any issue with the scroll wheel, its a little stiff but nothing to be concerned with, gui is easy to navigate with the wheel and buttons, much better than touch in my opinion.

Paired up straight away with the C5 amp and set the digital filter to super slow (What does this actually do?) using my Oppo PM3s. Only had about an hour and im not too sure on the sound.  Fast and multiple guitars seem a little unfocused and clarity could be better sounds like they are blending together.  In the slow more melodic songs or where there was not a lot going on, it was very nice.

Mids seem forward and nice bass when its there.  Ill be giving it more testing this afternoon after work. 

Do devices need a burn in (for lack of a better term)?  Ibasso recommended 400 hours for the DX90 with the FIIO I don't remember reading that it needed anything and I did play it overnight to burn in headphones.  Just wondering if the sound will open up a little after some use.

I always set my filter at sharp or normal or fast. Isn't the digital filter "super slow" = slow roll off?
Not sure either as it varies between brands.

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #593 of 2,546
Have been in hospital for the past few days, I consider myself a very lucky man so I can comeback to continue our lovely chats on the Cayin N5.
biggrin.gif

By the way, The N5 TOUR is approaching the end of application period, I shall close the application in less then a day (US West Coast Time), anyone interested in joining the N5 Tour, this is the final call to jump on-board.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Good to have you back. Nothing too serious, I we hope.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #594 of 2,546
biggrin.gif

By the way, The N5 TOUR is approaching the end of application period, I shall close the application in less then a day (US West Coast Time), anyone interested in joining the N5 Tour, this is the final call to jump on-board.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Andy, wishing you a speedy recovery!!!  And hopefully it wasn't all the stress dealing with Cayin support that sent you into the hospital
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #595 of 2,546

PM-3 is a tricky pair of headphones.  You are describing a sound I hear with them using most of my DAPs and a stock cable.  PM-3 is not your analytical well layered pair of headphones (for that, you need to try EL-8C), but rather smooth, organic, warm signature planar magnetics that benefit greatly from a silver/litz cable upgrade and a good driving power.  You already got C5 (tried it in high gain?).  Also, what other DAPs/amps sources have you tried with your PM-3 for comparison, and how do they sound?

Btw, heard back from my A&K PR contact, and should be getting AK Jr review loaner sometime next week.  Will be an interesting comparison!

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #596 of 2,546
I like my PM3s, they give a really nice sound that i like tried these with the Fiio X3ii & ibasso dx90 both were good maybe i was expecting a bit too much and maybe had i not gone to the DX90 from the fiio and went straight to N5 i would have noticed more of a difference.

Just tried it in high gain on the C5, i take it changing the gain in the settings does nothing with line out selected as it dosent seem to do anything on mine and it does sound better maybe i didnt have it loud enough before.  

One thing i have noticed the music sounds quicker which is a complaint i had with both the other daps it wasnt quick enough.  

Currently testing aswell with a pair of hifiman 400 that also came today, these def need high gain not so sure on the sound though, seem flat with little bass maybe just need to get used too them as well.

i think high gain has got it.  Is there any disadvantages to using this ive read in can add distortion but i dont hear anything.  

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #597 of 2,546
Hospital?! :eek: Hope all is well.......

Good to see you back here. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Good to have you back. Nothing too serious, I we hope.

Andy, wishing you a speedy recovery!!!  And hopefully it wasn't all the stress dealing with Cayin support that sent you into the hospital :p

Thanks for the concern, I have a inferior Myocardial infarction, fortunately my wife is a nurse and she was right beside me when I was hit, so I was in hospital within 2 hours, and had my PTCA within 12 hours, so I can recovery really well, and start to work at home within a week.
Will have another PTCA in 6 weeks time, but my biggest problem right now is the endless recommendations from Dietitian and Physiotherapy that I am trying to fit into, they are indeed nightmere to all over weight, zero recreational middle age man. :cool:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back