Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Sep 11, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #571 of 2,546
  in prep for getting this player, looks like Monday now 
mad.gif
 Id like to use the balanced out with my PM3s.  I know the N5 is 2.5mm balanced but is ther an adapter to use a 3.5mm balanced cable if one exists as i will be predominantly using this with the C5 so ideally want a normal 3.5mm connector that i can try the balanced out with.

On this same question would a balanced cable work normally with the N5/C5 combo or would that need to be a seperate cable.

Sorry about the rambling question but i dont really know a lot about cables, especially when it start going into details 

You need balanced wired headphones to enjoy benefits of balanced wired output.  Typically, you have L, R, and Common ground, tying both L/R sides together.  In balanced wired mode, you have a separate Left/Right and corresponding separate grounds (or as they refer to as L+/L-, R+/R-) for a better separation, less interference, and driving each side with a separate driver (more power).

PM-3 has 3.5mm single ended one earcup connection with L/R/Gnd so it's not balanced wired.  Can you have an adapter from 2.5mm to 3.5mm?  Sure, you can probably find one that going to tie grounds together, but you will loose balanced wired effect, defeats the purpose of the connection.  It's easier with IEMs and removable cables where each earpiece has two-wire connection that you carry separately to 2.5mm connector termination.  Or if you have full size cans that have separate L and R earcup connection and you use an aftermarket cable terminated into balanced 2.5mm connector.  Otherwise it won't work.

The same with N5/C5 combo.  You drive C5 from your LO of N5 (3.5mm single ended).  C5 output is 3.5mm single ended as well.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #572 of 2,546
I knew asking here would be the best way to get the info i needed, sometime google is not your friend.

Thanks @twister6 that sort of makes sense.  Really good review for the N5 as well.  Now i need to find a good quality cable for the PM3 at a reasonable price.

I have also bought but yet too receive a pair of hifiman he400  now if i get what your on about above as they have both a left & right connector and i get a custom cable terminated with a 2.5mm trrs or or balanced 4 pin to 2.5mm trrs adapter that would be balanced out?

People i work actually think i have a problem with all the audio equipment i buy.  I think i may have too especially now that im actually looking to upgrade cables.  Never thought id be doing this.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #573 of 2,546

PM-3 has 3.5mm single ended one earcup connection with L/R/Gnd so it's not balanced wired.  Can you have an adapter from 2.5mm to 3.5mm?  Sure, you can probably find one that going to tie grounds together, but you will loose balanced wired effect, defeats the purpose of the connection.  It's easier with IEMs and removable cables where each earpiece has two-wire connection that you carry separately to 2.5mm connector termination.  Or if you have full size cans that have separate L and R earcup connection and you use an aftermarket cable terminated into balanced 2.5mm connector.  Otherwise it won't work.

The jack inside the PM-3 is 4-segment balanced. Oppo doesn't provide a balanced cable for some unknown reason. Lot's of us have gotten balanced cables for the PM-3 from several different cable makers.  DHC and Surf to name two.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #574 of 2,546

The jack inside the PM-3 is 4-segment balanced. Oppo doesn't provide a balanced cable for some unknown reason. Lot's of us have gotten balanced cables for the PM-3 from several different cable makers.  DHC and Surf to name two.

WOW, an Easter egg, I guess :wink: Both of the supplied cables are TRS wired, not the usual 4 segment balanced trrs. Thanks for letting me know!

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #575 of 2,546
WOW, and Easter egg, I guess
wink.gif
Both of the supplied cables are TRS wired, not the usual 4 segment balanced trrs. Thanks for letting me know!

If you have a HIFIMAN balanced DAP (even the HM700), you can even use a cheap ($8) 3.5mm TRRS cable from amazon (have to remove the metal sleeve on one end to fit the earpiece).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PLTXJIU

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #576 of 2,546
Great review, you answered just about all the issues regarding the N5 i really could come up with and many others, and filled my head with wantings and desire (not in a creepy way). One thing that is niggling in my mind is does the N5 have a song limit, such as the Fiio's 5800 limit which i was glad to see was lifted. On a curious/envious note, do reviewers get to keep any of the product you test, if you do i will probably hate you and have a hissy fit,lol. By the way i like the fact your writing style makes it easy for those of us who are not that educated in the ways of " Audiophile language "

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #577 of 2,546

WOW, and Easter egg, I guess
wink.gif
Both of the supplied cables are TRS wired, not the usual 4 segment balanced trrs. Thanks for letting me know!

If you have a HIFIMAN balanced DAP (even the HM700), you can even use a cheap ($8) 3.5mm TRRS cable from amazon (have to remove the metal sleeve on one end to fit the earpiece).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PLTXJIU

I have HM700 w/RE400B and not a big fan :)

So you get THIS from Amazon for $7.99 (your link)

and add THIS for $3.51 from eBay 

And you are in business to rock PM-3 from 2.5mm balanced output of N5
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #578 of 2,546
Great review, you answered just about all the issues regarding the N5 i really could come up with and many others, and filled my head with wantings and desire (not in a creepy way). One thing that is niggling in my mind is does the N5 have a song limit, such as the Fiio's 5800 limit which i was glad to see was lifted. On a curious/envious note, do reviewers get to keep any of the product you test, if you do i will probably hate you and have a hissy fit,lol. By the way i like the fact your writing style makes it easy for those of us who are not that educated in the ways of " Audiophile language "

Thank you for the kind words!  That's the intent of my reviews, easy flow reading with lots of pictures :wink:

I don't have a huge library of songs to confirm the limit, so hopefully Andy can chime in with his reply.

Sep 13, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #579 of 2,546
Hi guys! It looks like I'm going to buy this lovely player. Nevertheless I have two questions:
1. Has anyone compared N5 vs AK Jr. side by side? Mostly interested in sound quality. Have not seen any reviews from real owners (testers) yet.
2. Where should I buy N5 in the USA? I see I can do it on Amazon (two sellers, NOT fulfillment by Amazon) and on eBay (~$350), but I am not sure if sellers I see are trusted.
Any suggestions?

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #580 of 2,546
Hi guys! It looks like I'm going to buy this lovely player. Nevertheless I have two questions:
1. Has anyone compared N5 vs AK Jr. side by side? Mostly interested in sound quality. Have not seen any reviews from real owners (testers) yet.
2. Where should I buy N5 in the USA? I see I can do it on Amazon (two sellers, NOT fulfillment by Amazon) and on eBay (~$350), but I am not sure if sellers I see are trusted.
Any suggestions?

I talked to another head-fier through PM who has both and sound difference is noticeable, he suggested N5 sound is more dynamic, more "magic".  I don't have a first hand experience with Jr, though getting so many requests for comparison now that I might end up pinging AK PR.  I don't think AK Jr design intention was about high level of sound quality, it's more about luxury and slim convenience of touch/hw interface (which I heard is laggy for now).

Regarding where to buy it, you have to deal with an authorized seller.  As you have probably read, there were a few issues with a wheel in early production units which are getting replaced now, and warranty is generally handled better through authorized dealers.  Contact Cayin directly (PM their official reps on head-fi in this thread) and ask for an advice where to buy it in US.

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #581 of 2,546
He wants to know where to buy it INSIDE the US.

I can't help him. Personally, I'd wait until it hit Amazon Prime.

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #582 of 2,546
I was attempting to do a video comparison, but I haven't received my N5 yet... keep you posted
Any suggestions?

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #583 of 2,546
He wants to know where to buy it INSIDE the US.

I can't help him. Personally, I'd wait until it hit Amazon Prime.

I meant to type "outside of China", not US :)  Corrected my reply with "in US".

In lieu of a scrolling wheel hiccup with pre-production and what appears to be some early production models, for now I would deal only with an authorized reseller who will be able to handle any issues promptly.

Sep 13, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #584 of 2,546
^---Good advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back