Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Sep 6, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #496 of 2,546
Wondering that myself. Gain possibly, as in MOOOOORRRRRE
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #497 of 2,546
It's got to be Mute, yes? Sitting right next to the volume buttons... what else could M stand for? I must KNOW! :D

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #498 of 2,546
  Not hyping anything up, just sharing my impressions, but N5 is not just sharing the same dac used in the latest A&K, but they are also sharing the same level of build quality and attention to details...

Looks spectacular... hope I get to try it on the tour.

Sep 6, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #499 of 2,546
M: multi-function Menu button.  Depending on a display screen you are in, it brings up different menus.  When screen is off, you press M for play/pause and Volume +/- long press skips to the next/prev track, while short press still controls the volume.  Very convenient positioning of M-button.

Btw, this pair up here (N5+C5 w/UMPro50) is EPIC!  Pro50s never sounded that good before
cool.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #500 of 2,546
M: multi-function Menu button.  Depending on a display screen you are in, it brings up different menus.  When screen is off, you press M for play/pause and Volume +/- long press skips to the next/prev track, while short press still controls the volume.  Very convenient positioning of M-button.

thx for the info.
i thought it must be Mute at first as well.

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #502 of 2,546
I agree, she looks damn fine.

However, three days into my AK120ii, and I don't think I'll ever be happy with a mechanical UI again. I'm willing to be proven wrong, though. Bring on that tour! :cool:

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #503 of 2,546

However, three days into my AK120ii, and I don't think I'll ever be happy with a mechanical UI again. I'm willing to be proven wrong, though. Bring on that tour! :cool:

I love mechanical and touchscreen. A good marriage of both is ideal IMHO, but I haven't found that yet.

BTW, I got a taste of the AK380 last week. Talk about DAYUM :blink:

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #504 of 2,546

However, three days into my AK120ii, and I don't think I'll ever be happy with a mechanical UI again. I'm willing to be proven wrong, though. Bring on that tour!
cool.gif

Yep, AK120ii has the best of both worlds, but the latest OTA firmware update was a bit of a step back.  Touch/mechanical interface of AK120ii is bar none, but after awhile it gets frustrating because you want more "android" experience considering a hefty price tag.  Just my personal opinion, and I know a lot of people will disagree.  Perhaps that's a reason why so many eyes are on the upcoming X7 release...

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #506 of 2,546
  Just got it today at A1futureshop . Boy , can't wait to test it tonight . Will post a review shortly.

Please do.  

I have to choose between this, the Sony A17, or the AK Jr
and to me this looks like the better value.

Plus the walkman look is sick.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #507 of 2,546
Yep, AK120ii has the best of both worlds, but the latest OTA firmware update was a bit of a step back.  Touch/mechanical interface of AK120ii is bar none, but after awhile it gets frustrating because you want more "android" experience considering a hefty price tag.  Just my personal opinion, and I know a lot of people will disagree.  Perhaps that's a reason why so many eyes are on the upcoming X7 release...

From you, that makes perfect sense. I know you started out reviewing Android devices. You know all that Android is capable of, and except a lot from a product carrying that software.

For me, my Android demands are met by the Galaxy S6, and the S4 I owned before it. This is my pocket PC, possessing deep and broad functionality.

My DAPs... I DO NOT WANT a mess of features. I don't especially want Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. I want GREAT sound, impeccable build, and a UI that is all about my music. Just because it's Android doesn't mean it ought to take on more responsibilities than a DAP should.

You are right, nonetheless. Astell & Kern are overpriced for what they do. Given the sum you are meant to invest in them, one might very well expect more than just a music player.

I don't want my player trying to be more than a player. I need it dedicated to a singular cause. That cause being the finest music experience possible.

I acquired my AK120ii for $1040, unopened. That may still cost too much for what it is. Still, listening to it, I struggle to feel taken advantage of. Its sound is numinous, the user experience, intuitive and effortless. I fear we would lose out on much of this if they became any more like smartphones.

Whatever. I think this is probably not the best venue to talk about Astell & Kern merchandise. :D

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #508 of 2,546
Whatever. I think this is probably not the best venue to talk about Astell & Kern merchandise.
biggrin.gif

No,  I appreciate the comparison.

I was considering AK gear, but it is ridiculously priced.  

This N5 is basically everything I've been looking for:
-Old school design
-Expandable Memory
-Excellent DAC
-Great Interface
-PHYSICAL BUTTONS!!!!

At 350 dollars,  this is killing a lot of the other options I was considering which were compromises for me:  Ak Jr, Sony A15/16/17, ect.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #509 of 2,546
No,  I appreciate the comparison.

I was considering AK gear, but it is ridiculously priced.  

This N5 is basically everything I've been looking for:
-Old school design
-Expandable Memory
-Excellent DAC
-Great Interface
-PHYSICAL BUTTONS!!!!

At 350 dollars,  this is killing a lot of the other options I was considering which were compromises for me:  Ak Jr, Sony A15/16/17, ect.

I'm a big fan of the FiiO X5 Classic. From what I'm reading, though, the N5 is going to be the new DAP to beat in this price range.

I still need to read more reviews, but if it's as good as I'm hearing, I'd take this over the X5 any day... for the UI alone!

If I make it into the tour, I'll know first-hand. I am quite anxious to try her out. :D

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #510 of 2,546
when screen blank: pause button,
screen on: configuration button: such as shuffle, delete, high /low gain.

Cayin website claim that n5 can be used as a desktop dap, but there is no instruction in the box how to use it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back