Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
Apr 9, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #332 of 646
Wonderful question...👍🏻
Meze Advar top end needs to be tamed the N3U will be the ticket I think or the EJ07 a
Or anything too energetic

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #333 of 646
Mine also with the blue case has shipped and will most likely be here tomorrow!

What IEM's and headphones are people planning to use with their N3Ultras? Trying to find a sub $500 IEM that will pair well considering the N3 Ultra's unique warm tube sound.
I dont own the N3Ultra. Well not yet anyways but I do own the Ibasso PB5 amp. One of my favorite pairings IEM wise is in my review on the front page of headfi
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tansio-mirai-x.27031/review/32982/ Assuming N3 Ultras will have comparable warmth and dynamics as my PB5..

Tansio Mirai-X has some crazy synergy with it. If your a fan of excellent bold bass. These are what I call Audiophile basshead IEMs. Take a read if your interested.
1712693278671.png

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #334 of 646
For IEMs to pair with the N3U, I’ve had a curiosity about the Timsok TS-316 since I’m a big fan of 1DD driver configurations and that one got a lot of positive buzz when it was released.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #336 of 646
For IEMs to pair with the N3U, I’ve had a curiosity about the Timsok TS-316 since I’m a big fan of 1DD driver configurations and that one got a lot of positive buzz when it was released.

I actually wrote to MusicTeck for recommendations and this was their top one. It's just at the very top of my price range, so looking for other options as well. They said:

"It has superb technical performance for the price, a very solid bass performance with excellent details and soundstage. The only disadvantage of TS316 was it lacked a bit of emotional engagement in the mid-range for vocals, well N3Ultra, with its tubes, fixed that problem perfectly! N3Ultra gives more body and extra warmth to the mid-range to give more musicality to the TS316."

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #337 of 646
Mine also with the blue case has shipped and will most likely be here tomorrow!

What IEM's and headphones are people planning to use with their N3Ultras? Trying to find a sub $500 IEM that will pair well considering the N3 Ultra's unique warm tube sound.
Moondrop Dusk

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #338 of 646
I actually wrote to MusicTeck for recommendations and this was their top one. It's just at the very top of my price range, so looking for other options as well. They said:

"It has superb technical performance for the price, a very solid bass performance with excellent details and soundstage. The only disadvantage of TS316 was it lacked a bit of emotional engagement in the mid-range for vocals, well N3Ultra, with its tubes, fixed that problem perfectly! N3Ultra gives more body and extra warmth to the mid-range to give more musicality to the TS316."
HA! My bougie tastes make resellers happy. Or, maybe don't trust me since I'm an inadvertent shill lol

I suppose the IE600 or IE200 would be a good match as well since both are rather V-shaped with some natural ear gain the upper mids. Pairing that sound with a tubey, rich midrange DAP makes some sense.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #339 of 646
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #340 of 646
Apr 9, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #341 of 646
Apr 10, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #342 of 646
HA! My bougie tastes make resellers happy. Or, maybe don't trust me since I'm an inadvertent shill lol

I suppose the IE600 or IE200 would be a good match as well since both are rather V-shaped with some natural ear gain the upper mids. Pairing that sound with a tubey, rich midrange DAP makes some sense.

I was thinking about the IE600 since it is on sale for $499 plus I have some rewards money at Audio46 to make the price even cheaper.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #344 of 646
I was so enamored when I saw the N3 Ultra that for the first time I was willing to blow past my usual DAP budget to get one. But now I am starting to waver a little as this DAP would cost me so much I would be worried about traveling with it in case something happened to it not to mention what would happen if god forbid I ever dropped it.

Then I thought, would it make more sense to get a cheaper DAP and a desktop tube amp instead? I mean going desktop will provide alot more power which allows me to use my full sized headphones and not just my portables. Not to mention I could also connect it to my computer at the same time. Then the Hiby R4 was announced and it made even more sense. It looks to cost me about half of what the N3 Ultra would to import and I could spend the other half of my budget on the desktop tube amp. The Class A amp on the R4 should be quite nice and while not tube nice still very good sound quality for on the go and not the best listening conditions to boot. Now I can get a safer travel DAP and the best possible sound when listening at home in my man cave/home office through a tube amp. Not to mention the desktop amp would have a much longer lifespan than the N3 Ultra and it will be much easier to replace the tubes if needed.

In a perfect world I would get both the N3 Ultra and the R4 but my world is far from perfect. Some of you are lucky enough to be able change DAP's as often as I change my socks (well maybe not quite that often). :beyersmile: I am stuck going with the most practical solution most often over the most desired. Still very much looking forward to your posts on the N3 Ultra and the many reviews to come and I will listen vicariously through you if not with you. Unless of course it shows up at a dealer in Toronto and I can at least demo one (fingers crossed).

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #345 of 646
I was so enamored when I saw the N3 Ultra that for the first time I was willing to blow past my usual DAP budget to get one. But now I am starting to waver a little as this DAP would cost me so much I would be worried about traveling with it in case something happened to it not to mention what would happen if god forbid I ever dropped it.

Then I thought, would it make more sense to get a cheaper DAP and a desktop tube amp instead? I mean going desktop will provide alot more power which allows me to use my full sized headphones and not just my portables. Not to mention I could also connect it to my computer at the same time. Then the Hiby R4 was announced and it made even more sense. It looks to cost me about half of what the N3 Ultra would to import and I could spend the other half of my budget on the desktop tube amp. The Class A amp on the R4 should be quite nice and while not tube nice still very good sound quality for on the go and not the best listening conditions to boot. Now I can get a safer travel DAP and the best possible sound when listening at home in my man cave/home office through a tube amp. Not to mention the desktop amp would have a much longer lifespan than the N3 Ultra and it will be much easier to replace the tubes if needed.

In a perfect world I would get both the N3 Ultra and the R4 but my world is far from perfect. Some of you are lucky enough to be able change DAP's as often as I change my socks (well maybe not quite that often). :beyersmile: I am stuck going with the most practical solution most often over the most desired. Still very much looking forward to your posts on the N3 Ultra and the many reviews to come and I will listen vicariously through you if not with you. Unless of course it shows up at a dealer in Toronto and I can at least demo one (fingers crossed).
There's also the fact that vacuum tubes are microphonic so any movement/vibration will introduce some ringing sound. Regardless of how well it's damped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back