Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Aug 30, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #571 of 2,518
Are the two tube modes pure tube output, or is one of them a hybrid of SS and tube?
I'm just wondering how the tube output would compare to say something like the little bear B4 X.

From the design block diagram posted here:

1598829906425.png

Cayin refers to this as Solid State and Tube Timbre blocks where "... the matched pair JAN6418 serve as a buffer instead of amplifying the audio signal." So, you can think of it as two independent pre-amp sound coloring buffers going into the final stage of headphone-amp and then headphone output.

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #572 of 2,518
From the design block diagram posted here:

1598829906425.png

Cayin refers to this as Solid State and Tube Timbre blocks where "... the matched pair JAN6418 serve as a buffer instead of amplifying the audio signal." So, you can think of it as two independent pre-amp sound coloring buffers going into the final stage of headphone-amp and then headphone output.

Thanks for the info, :) that sounds very cool and probably has a unique sound.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #575 of 2,518
Has anybody heard this thing? I'm wondering if say the SS balanced output is comparable to the n6ii vanilla modules balanced out?

I think if they make their "entry" level DAP SS BAL headphone output to perform/sound as good or better than their mid-fi DAP, their N6ii sales might take a hit :wink: SS output is good, but imho the biggest selling point here is tube triode and ultralinear outputs and its compact size, plus nearly identical OS/interface as their flagship N8.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #576 of 2,518
I think if they make their "entry" level DAP SS BAL headphone output to perform/sound as good or better than their mid-fi DAP, their N6ii sales might take a hit :wink: SS output is good, but imho the biggest selling point here is tube triode and ultralinear outputs and its compact size, plus nearly identical OS/interface as their flagship N8.

Lol well it's 500 dollars so to me that is kind of midish price range. Also I myself found some daps that I though sounded as good as the stock module of n6ii. Such as m11, dx160 etc. So I guess my question is whats it lacking compared to the stock 4.4 output of n6ii. In my experience price doesn't equal audio quality.
Anything you think it soubds comparable to? Ss output of course.

Forgive all the questions, it's been a long while since I've heard a tube amp. I want the ss out to be good also.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #577 of 2,518
Wireless DAC: N3Pro supports UAT, LDAC, AAC and SBC codec at BTv5.0 standard in both receive and transmit connections. This will enable the N3Pro to serve as a wireless player (to Bluetooth headphones and speaker) and wireless DAC with your mobile phone as music source. Since UAT (up to 192kHz) and LDAC (up to 96kHz) are Hi-Res ready, you can enjoy their streaming app such as Tidal and Qobuz on mobile and playback through N3Pro in UAT, LDAC or AAC. For your information, the UAT codec is developed by HiBy and it transmits upto 1.2Mbps audio signals from an Android mobile device to UAT compatible DAP, support up to 192kHz sampling frequency
Hi Andy

I'm new to this forum but I bought N3Pro last Saturday and I'm still playing with it. However when I tried to use the N3Pro to connect to my iPhone using the lightning camera adaptor with a usb type C OTG cable, it seems that iPhone can't support this connect as it says it draws too much power out of my iPhone. (I was using Sony ZX300 for the same connections, but ZX300 has a option to disable the charging from my iPhone), so I wonder how I can connect my iPhone to stream 24bit song from Moov to my N3Pro.

Also I tried Bluetooth as well, but it seems that I can only wirelessly getting 44.1kHz from bluetooth.. is there any setting I need to adjust in order to get optimal from my wireless streaming via bluetooth.

the machine is very nice, just solid state via 4.4 already surpass my ZX300...

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #578 of 2,518
Hi Andy

I'm new to this forum but I bought N3Pro last Saturday and I'm still playing with it. However when I tried to use the N3Pro to connect to my iPhone using the lightning camera adaptor with a usb type C OTG cable, it seems that iPhone can't support this connect as it says it draws too much power out of my iPhone. (I was using Sony ZX300 for the same connections, but ZX300 has a option to disable the charging from my iPhone), so I wonder how I can connect my iPhone to stream 24bit song from Moov to my N3Pro.

Also I tried Bluetooth as well, but it seems that I can only wirelessly getting 44.1kHz from bluetooth.. is there any setting I need to adjust in order to get optimal from my wireless streaming via bluetooth.

You just sold me on it, when you said you prefer it over ZX300 balanced :) put a deposit on one on musicteck. If by chance I don't like it, it should be easy to sell. Especially as it seems to be on fire atm. I assume you're using ldac for bt transmission, that should show up as 96 kHz.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #579 of 2,518
You just sold me on it, when you said you prefer it over ZX300 balanced :) put a deposit on one on musicteck. If by chance I don't like it, it should be easy to sell. Especially as it seems to be on fire atm. I assume you're using ldac for bt transmission, that should show up as 96 kHz.

Is LDAC working for IOS?
I m using android and have no issue linking my N8 to S10 using LDAC.
But guess it may not be the same for IOS users...

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #580 of 2,518
Lol well it's 500 dollars so to me that is kind of midish price range. Also I myself found some daps that I though sounded as good as the stock module of n6ii. Such as m11, dx160 etc. So I guess my question is whats it lacking compared to the stock 4.4 output of n6ii. In my experience price doesn't equal audio quality.
Anything you think it soubds comparable to? Ss output of course.

Forgive all the questions, it's been a long while since I've heard a tube amp. I want the ss out to be good also.
You've never heard the N6ii sing if you've never tried the other modules. The N6ii stock is pretty bad value at $1200, having heard every dap in the $400 - $1500 price range I'd put it in the $600-$800 region. The other modules are much better.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #581 of 2,518
Is LDAC working for IOS?
I m using android and have no issue linking my N8 to S10 using LDAC.
But guess it may not be the same for IOS users...

Yep, limitations of iOS.

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #582 of 2,518
yes, you can use the Cayin USB to coaxial digital cable with N3Pro, we have implemented the embedded S/PDIF in the sub pin of USB-C as usual.

Great news. To me it is one of the best implementation I heard about so far: with Mojo it beats both optical and USB :wink:

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #583 of 2,518
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #584 of 2,518
I am curious: how did you put a deposit?! N3Pro not even on their website.

Hmm, maybe they just added the link? Cause after reading your reply I checked Musicteck website and see n3pro pre-order page already up.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #585 of 2,518
Hi Andy

iPhone rejects an USB OTG because "draws too much power"? This is new, I didn't aware of this limitation until now. Sorry, I am more an Android person, I have tested USB connection to iOS at various shows, demoing the feature to visitors, but since all the shows were cancelled this year, I didn't aware the latest changes with iOS.

N3Pro does not provide an option to disable charging when connect as USB DAC. I can investigate if there is any solution to bypass that limitation.

To the best of my knowledge, iOS device does not support Hi-Res Bluetooth codec. They only use AAC and all the existing Hi-Res codec such are aptX, LDAC, UAT are not supported.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back