Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #1,831 of 2,518
Yes and you can then add other folders to the playlist, i did this for all my amy winehouse albums but it is a tedious process, is there any way to create playlists externally - perhaps by adding them to the sd card?

Playlists - i can create them on my pc - m3u file extension - but how do i make them work on the n3pro?

i tried changing the path to ../ but this did not work

??

any ideas - the files are in folders on the sd card, first level is artist then next level is albums.

We have written a M3U playlist instruction a few years back, for the original N3. It should work for N3Pro as well if you are referring to the file address issue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bksYmHdd6qoTVYR8S6l2x-qk3ULSFjA6/view?usp=sharing

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 26, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,832 of 2,518
I’m loving the N3Pro, bass extension and quality is fantastic, timbre is delicious, it made me fall in love all over again with some iems I’d left on the wayside and is feeding my newest and latest like a beast.

I have one big issue with it, which comes down to how I envision the device itself.

For me, with no Android support, a legacy screen and UI, and an OS/hardware prone to crashing and limited in its support of SD card formatting (#subfoldergate), the N3Pro is better viewed as a mobile DAC/amp, wired and wireless, than as an autonomous player. Like an alternative to the iFi xDSD or the Fiio Q5S. The screen is a convenience, making it easier to switch amp mode, adjust gain and volume, check bit rate, update firmware etc. The SD card slot is just a bonus for me even though I’ve got dozens of Bandcamp albums on mine, it’s just not how I consume most music nowadays - and Cayin designed the N3Pro with this in mind, per their own material it’s the main reason why it receives LDAC, while many SD-card based competitors still don’t. USB DAC function is also crucial in this regard, it’s a big streaming enabler.

The LDAC receiver part works fine, although I hear a bit of crackle sometimes, perhaps due to interference, I’m still troubleshooting. Seems more prevalent at higher bit rates than with 320 kbps streams. It might also crop up only via UAPP, because of one setting or another.

The USB DAC is perfectly implemented, and displays the same bit rate UAPP indicates (the N3Pro sometimes says 24-bit when UAPP says 16, but that’s harmless).
Where it fails massively is down to one tiny detail: it won’t stop draining my phone battery. It’s a Zenfone 7 Pro, with a huge battery, but even so I see it ebb away, away, away. I tried it with my V30, and it sucked 50% battery in an hour give or take.
That behavior means the entire USB DAC function is deeply compromised, since it also means battery will charge up to 100% when plugged into a computer and stay there for hours. We all know that’s bad battery management.

The Qudelix-5K app lets me turn charging on or off; @Andykong @CayinSupport I dearly hope for an update to the N3Pro firmware that introduces such a switch.

We have discussed this issue previously, we cannot create a "switch" through firmware update, we need to have an alternative power supply route physically in N3Pro before we can add a software switch. So unfortunately, we can't do that in the life of N3Pro.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 26, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,833 of 2,518
We have discussed this issue previously, we cannot create a "switch" through firmware update, we need to have an alternative power supply route physically in N3Pro before we can add a software switch. So unfortunately, we can't do that in the life of N3Pro.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my complaints at this point of the year, when many are away enjoying a holiday.

I just need to ask this naïve question: why can’t the battery inside the N3Pro act as an alternative power supply route? It seems to be what the Qudelix unit does, just stops draining power from the source and draws from its own. Or is it because the battery inside the N3Pro is being tapped into in addition to my phone’s when in USB DAC mode?

Dec 27, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #1,834 of 2,518
We have written a M3U playlist instruction a few years back, for the original N3. It should work for N3Pro as well if you are referring to the file address issue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bksYmHdd6qoTVYR8S6l2x-qk3ULSFjA6/view?usp=sharing
Thank you Andykopng,

i tried this and cannot get it to work so i maybe doing something wrong, i can create a playlist from the now playing screen without problem but creating a m3u file from the computer successfully is not working

1. i copy the files to the card, i create a m3u playlist and copy that m3u to the tf root on the n3pro
2. i see the files but when i try to play the m3u file i get no files found message.
3. the playlist does not appear in the playlists list - whereas playlists i create from the now playing screen do show up
4. all the files including the m3u file appear on the root folder which is messy and difficult to negotiate.

any idea (btw the n3pro sounds sublime and gets better and better with burn-in.

d

Dec 27, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #1,835 of 2,518
To get playlist from PC working, make sure the drive letter is "a" and separators are in windows style for ever path:

a:\folder\subfolder\subsubfolder

If you get any unexpected behavior, check paths in m3u for weird symbols, i had a space coded in some weird encoding for few track titles and this caused them to not play.

Dec 27, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #1,836 of 2,518
Im wondering is there a way.i can swap between 3.5mm SE to 4.4mm port without changing cables on my iem? Such as using a 3.5mm to 4.4mm or 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter? I understand the 4.4mm sound better than the 3.5mm on solid state and the tube only works on 3.5mm.

Dec 27, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #1,837 of 2,518
Im wondering is there a way.i can swap between 3.5mm SE to 4.4mm port without changing cables on my iem? Such as using a 3.5mm to 4.4mm or 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter? I understand the 4.4mm sound better than the 3.5mm on solid state and the tube only works on 3.5mm.
You can pick up a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter. Check out this one from ddHiFi - https://www.amazon.com/DD-Headphone-Converter-Connector-Amplifier/dp/B088WVMCTD
You could also pick up a pigtail adapter. 3.5mm to 4.4mm is not possible without possibly damaging the DAP.

Dec 27, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #1,839 of 2,518
3.5mm to 4.4mm will damage the DAC but 4.4mm to 3.5mm is safe? Maybe Andy can help to calrify this. I understand we cannot use a Single end jack for the 4.4mm balanced output as it will damage the DAC according to manual. But how about 4.4mm cable jack inserted into a 3.5mm SE adapter and then insert into the 3.5mm output of the DAC?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #1,841 of 2,518
I want to say an issue about ogg file.
N3pro shows "VOROIS" not vorbis(ogg)
and doesn't show even album art(300x297 size).

20201228_110845.jpg

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,842 of 2,518
3.5mm to 4.4mm will damage the DAC but 4.4mm to 3.5mm is safe? Maybe Andy can help to calrify this. I understand we cannot use a Single end jack for the 4.4mm balanced output as it will damage the DAC according to manual. But how about 4.4mm cable jack inserted into a 3.5mm SE adapter and then insert into the 3.5mm output of the DAC?
Balanced to single ended is fine, the L- and R- just become ground.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #1,843 of 2,518
Insert into 3.5mm is 100% safe/fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back