Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Oct 9, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #1,411 of 2,518
Agree - reading the manual is critical to getting the best out of this DAP. It has breathed new life into my DT880s.

The multi-color bitrate LED is funky!

I'd also recommend the green case, it fits really well and has a tough metal sort of shield on the back.

Will post some more impressions as I get acquainted with it.

Oct 9, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #1,412 of 2,518
Here is my take on N3Pro. Enjoy the read! Will have it soon mirrored on Head-fi as well.

cayin_n3pro-15.jpg

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #1,413 of 2,518
Loving the @twister6 reviews as they are so meticulously researched and extensive :beerchug: Was interesting that despite your clear preference for UL mode, you had some VE earbuds where you generally preferred Triode. I used Thieaudio Legacy 3 when I got N3Pro and preferred Triode in general. Then I got Thieaudio Clairvoyance which turned that preference to 90+% UL with that setup. However, I would say this is also much dependent on the recording. Something like Chromatics ("Kill for love" album) I prefer in Triode mode, and Isaac Hayes is also there, so the key word is "intimacy" I guess in certain cases of listening. I look forward to finding more of this kind of synergies with the Triode mode.
Also RIP my hearing as my volume levels are like double those in Twister6 review...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #1,415 of 2,518
Here is my take on N3Pro. Enjoy the read! Will have it soon mirrored on Head-fi as well.

cayin_n3pro-15.jpg

Thanks, I Copy all that :)

When you speak about sound quality being on par with BT and cable, do you mean with UAT and music played directly from HiBy client, correct?

I mean, what Is your opinion about instead streaming music from Tidal app to the DAP via LDAC?

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #1,416 of 2,518
Hey, it is not a complaint but more like a plead with @HiByMusic (and @Joe Bloggs). I really like Hiby OS but I have found that the display of Chinese titles a little clumsy (since my day with the amazing Hiby R3). Could Hiby just put all the titles / artists with Chinese characters under the "#" section (i.e. after "A" to "Z") rather than having them scattered all over the place (between titles in English)?

DDF85A12-4E5D-4C8B-94CD-F07CFCC053CA.jpeg
I know the romanization of Chinese "林" and "劉" really starts with character "L" but is it much easier to just put it in the back of the list after all the English titles? (Would like to hear Headfiers from Japan about their views too).

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,417 of 2,518
Hey, it is not a complaint but more like a plead with @HiByMusic (and @Joe Bloggs). I really like Hiby OS but I have found that the display of Chinese titles a little clumsily (since my days with the amazing Hiby R3). Could Hiby just put all the titles / artists with Chinese characters under the "#" section (i.e. after "A" to "Z") rather than having them scattered all over the place between titles in English?

I know the romanization of Chinese "林" and "劉" really starts with character "L" (which is really intriguing) but is it much easier to just put it in the back of the list after all the English titles? (Would like to hear Headfiers from Japan about their views too).
I got the same problem. Japanese titles use a combination of Chinese and Japanese characters. They are all scattered all over the English letters.
It would be really nice if all Japanese titles go under “#”.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #1,418 of 2,518
Hey, it is not a complaint but more like a plead with @HiByMusic (and @Joe Bloggs). I really like Hiby OS but I have found that the display of Chinese titles a little clumsily (since my days with the amazing Hiby R3). Could Hiby just put all the titles / artists with Chinese characters under the "#" section (i.e. after "A" to "Z") rather than having them scattered all over the place (between titles in English)?

DDF85A12-4E5D-4C8B-94CD-F07CFCC053CA.jpeg
I know the romanization of Chinese "林" and "劉" really starts with character "L" but is it much easier to just put it in the back of the list after all the English titles? (Would like to hear Headfiers from Japan about their views too).

I have suggest (and complain) about this for quite a while already, I proposed we use the sorting practise of Windows Explorer as reference because that most users are familiar with the sorting result of Windows Explorer.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 10, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #1,419 of 2,518
A request for future reviews as a long time reader: in the pros and cons summary it would be great to see more about the actually sound quality. For most of us, that's the main criteria for making a purchase decision.

I'm sorry, but as mentioned in my review, in my opinion DAP doesn't have a "sound quality" you can describe like you would be talking about IEMs or headphones. When we talk about lows/mids/highs relative to DAP, you are describing the sound of IEMs and Headphones you are using and how the synergy of this pair up affects the sound. Thus, and again, in my humble opinion, a generalized sound quality in Pros/Cons of the review intro might not make as much sense to me. Of course, there is a distinction between warmer or brighter sources, and with N3Pro you have warmer Tubes output and brighter Solid State output. And then what? :wink: How could that be categorized as Pros or Cons? It is just "as is", up to your own personal preference depending on what you are pairing it with. Thus, I personally don't see as much point talking about sound quality in Pros/Cons intro of the review. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,420 of 2,518
Thanks, I Copy all that :)

When you speak about sound quality being on par with BT and cable, do you mean with UAT and music played directly from HiBy client, correct?

I mean, what Is your opinion about instead streaming music from Tidal app to the DAP via LDAC?

Thanks!

That is correct, playing a track directly from N3Pro vs streaming it from my phone to N3Pro via BT with UAT (when using HibyMusic) sounded nearly identical to my ears.

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #1,421 of 2,518
That is correct, playing a track directly from N3Pro vs streaming it from my phone to N3Pro via BT with UAT (when using HibyMusic) sounded nearly identical to my ears.

Ok I Will try that too, so far instead I find that i.e. Tidal through LDAC does not give the DAP and the Song Justice... :)

Oct 10, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #1,423 of 2,518

Good review. I was interested in the comparison with Lotoo PAW 6000. It seemed to suggest, to me anyway, that the N3Pro (tubes) and the LP6K were not overly that far apart from each other. Perhaps I shouldn’t base it on price, but LP6K is close to $€£ 1,000 more than the N3Pro and so I’m just curious at what you are getting for paying the extra grand, or missing out on for not paying it.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,425 of 2,518
Good review. I was interested in the comparison with Lotoo PAW 6000. It seemed to suggest, to me anywa, that the N3Pro (tubes) and the LP6K were not overly that far apart from each other. Perhaps I shouldn’t base it on price, but LP6K is close to $€£ 1,000 more than the N3Pro and so I’m just curious at what you are getting for paying the extra grand, or missing out on for not paying it.

Better Eq/dsp system on the paw 6000, I like the UL tube mode better soundwise than the balanced paw 6000 myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back