Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 27, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #1,156 of 2,518
Hey guys – a few more noob questions, this time on microSD cards. I've tried looking it up in Google but was not able to find solutions specific to DAPs/the N3Pro. Apologies in advance:
  1. I've not been able to add any more songs to my 128GB microSD despite having 500MB~ of space left. Tried doing it directly via the built-in card reader on my Mac and got the same results. Despite getting an indication that the file-copying process was successful the songs did not show up on both the Cayin N3Pro or on my Mac. I deleted some albums and they still show up when I reconnected the card and the N3Pro to the mac. It's as if the card is stuck in a specific timeframe where the contents would not be modified no matter what I do. The card still works – I can play existing songs on the N3Pro but can't seem to modify the contents. Reformatting and erasing doesn't work (used Disk Utility and SD Card Formatter). Is this a sign that the card is corrupted?
  2. Is there a recommended way of transferring files to the microSD card? Is doing it directly via a card reader better than via USB on the N3Pro? Initially I was transferring via USB on the N3Pro exclusively but it came to a point where I realized transferring to the card directly would be faster as it filled up. This is when the problems started.
  3. I may have to get a new card. Will this type of MicroSD work on the Cayin N3Pro?
Any pointers would be most appreciated. This is my first DAP and I don't have much experience dealing with large-capacity microSD cards.

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,157 of 2,518
Hey guys – a few more noob questions, this time on microSD cards. I've tried looking it up in Google but was not able to find solutions specific to DAPs/the N3Pro. Apologies in advance:
  1. I've not been able to add any more songs to my 128GB microSD despite having 500MB~ of space left. Tried doing it directly via the built-in card reader on my Mac and got the same results. Despite getting an indication that the file-copying process was successful the songs did not show up on both the Cayin N3Pro or on my Mac. I deleted some albums and they still show up when I reconnected the card and the N3Pro to the mac. It's as if the card is stuck in a specific timeframe where the contents would not be modified no matter what I do. The card still works – I can play existing songs on the N3Pro but can't seem to modify the contents. Reformatting and erasing doesn't work (used Disk Utility and SD Card Formatter). Is this a sign that the card is corrupted?
  2. Is there a recommended way of transferring files to the microSD card? Is doing it directly via a card reader better than via USB on the N3Pro? Initially I was transferring via USB on the N3Pro exclusively but it came to a point where I realized transferring to the card directly would be faster as it filled up. This is when the problems started.
  3. I may have to get a new card. Will this type of MicroSD work on the Cayin N3Pro?
Any pointers would be most appreciated. This is my first DAP and I don't have much experience dealing with large-capacity microSD cards.
It sounds like the fault is with your card. I use a 400gb sd card and transfer tracks directly to card and I haven't had any problems updating it on to my dap

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,158 of 2,518
I need help - I might have got a lemon :frowning2:
Trying to turn it on (brand new unit, freshly charged) - I hold the wheel in for 3-4 seconds and get:

Holding the power (wheel) pressed for a few seconds (until the yellow light goes off), wait 10 seconds, and try to turn it on again... this time I get:

Trying to turn off and on again - this time I get:

What is wrong with my unit?! :frowning2:
Waited for a while week until it arrived, and really dread shipping it back!!!

Hopefully, my N3Pro can be reset somehow?

Tried with and without microSD card, BTW. Same results.

Maybe a boot loader error. Not sure
@Andykong any way to reflash the FW? Is it possible fw image became corrupted?
Fingers crossed we can get it fixed without shipping it back!

I think you'll be able to get an image from cayin and maybe use clone to load it. Hopefully.

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,159 of 2,518
@Andykong

There seems to be some strange bugs with the Breakpoint Resume feature in Music Setting:
  1. Off : I understand this setting is to disable auto play/resume of last played song after re-boot. The issue (as already mentioned in my earlier post) is it does not disable the auto resume but instead removed the last played song all together. So, it doesn’t work and we lost last played song as well.
  2. Song : With this setting, the auto play/resume of last played song is working as it should upon re-boot. However if we turned off the device and plug in the charger, the last played song will disappear when the device is turned on the next time.
  3. Location : This setting seems to work exactly the same as setting to Song. What is this setting actually meant for?

Edit: After re-checking, Location is resuming from last played location in the song, while Song is resuming from start of song. On both, however, the resume of the song is gone after switching off the device and plugging in the charger.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,161 of 2,518
Maybe a boot loader error. Not sure

I think you'll be able to get an image from cayin and maybe use clone to load it. Hopefully.
My thoughts exactly!
Does worry me, though, that something is wrong with my unit. But still anxiously waiting for @Andykong to respond!
(I know it is the weekend... but issues always hit me on weekends, or maybe that is when I have time to play with my toys and discover said issues...)

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,162 of 2,518
@Andykong

There seems to be some strange bugs with the Breakpoint Resume feature in Music Setting:
  1. Off : I understand this setting is to disable auto play/resume of last played song after re-boot. The issue (as already mentioned in my earlier post) is it does not disable the auto resume but instead removed the last played song all together. So, it doesn’t work and we lost last played song as well.
  2. Song : With this setting, the auto play/resume of last played song is working as it should upon re-boot. However if we turned off the device and plug in the charger, the last played song will disappear when the device is turned on the next time.
  3. Location : This setting seems to work exactly the same as setting to Song. What is this setting actually meant for?

Location starts it exactly where you stopped playing the track. It works fine for me.

Sep 27, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #1,163 of 2,518
My thoughts exactly!
Does worry me, though, that something is wrong with my unit. But still anxiously waiting for @Andykong to respond!
(I know it is the weekend... but issues always hit me on weekends, or maybe that is when I have time to play with my toys and discover said issues...)

I sure looks like a bootloader problem. I know it sucks when you want to mess with new gear and something like this happens :frowning2:

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #1,165 of 2,518
Not 100% sure of this but I think song refers to resuming play at the start of the song and location resumes where ever you stopped play.

Location starts it exactly where you stopped playing the track. It works fine for me.

Thx. I’ve checked again. Location is resuming from last played location in the song, while Song is resuming from start of song. On both, however, the resume of the song is gone after switching off the device and plugging in the charger.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #1,166 of 2,518
Thx. I’ve checked again. Location is resuming from last played location in the song, while Song is resuming from start of song. On both, however, the resume of the song is gone after switching off the device and plugging in the charger.

Ahh Maybe the recharge cycle resets it? I only charge mine when it's low.

Sep 28, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,169 of 2,518
I have owned the N6ii in the past but sold it largely due to the bulky form factor. This N3 pro is very intriguing because of the tube thing, but will it be a downgrade in sonic quality compared to its brother or just simply two different devices? many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back