Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 25, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #1,126 of 2,518
Sep 25, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #1,127 of 2,518
Sep 25, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,129 of 2,518
Hi @Andykong

My humble request to add these 2 safety features to the N3Pro by firmware update if possible:
  1. Disable auto play after re-boot - Currently the last song is auto play when the device is switched off and on again. Sometimes we don’t realize and it accidentally draining the battery. Also it is dangerous if the volume accidentally increased to very high level while wearing the earphones during the power on.
  2. Disable volume wheel when music is not playing and the screen is dimmed - Currently the volume wheel is active all the time. Sometimes it can get adjusted accidentally when music is not playing and caused inconvenient to re-adjust. It can also cause loud sound damage to the ears if it’s turned too high volume without realizing it the next time the music is played.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

1. You can disable auto resume. At Music setting, select Breakpoint resume, select OFF.

2. I play around with the volume knob tonight and cannot figure out the dangerous condition you have suggested. Have you run into similar situation so far? The volume knob of N3Pro has two metal guards and these will limit the movement. If you move the volume knob by simple up and down movement on the side of the knob, you can only change +/3dB in one move.

Maybe you can illustrate your point by providing a video to how us how you can increase or decrease the volume significantly (e.g, 10dB) in one continuous move towards one direction.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 25, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,131 of 2,518
Does any one know what kind of cable I need to connect the N3Pro to desktop amp such as Schiit Asgard 2 and Topping A90? I plan to use N3Pro as dac for these amp to compared it to Modi 1 for driving hard to drive full size headphones.

Schiit Asgard 2 and Topping A90 are analogue headphone amplifier, if you want to connect N3Pro to Asgard 2, you need a 3.5mm to RCA (2x) interconnect (something similar to THIS) and plug the 3.5mm end into Line Out of N3Pro.

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,133 of 2,518
As mentioned above, this usb-c to rca coax cable will do the trick.

This won't work, Schiit Asgard 2 and Topping A90 are analogue only, they don't have coaxial input.

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,134 of 2,518
Sep 25, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,135 of 2,518
Actually I was using "Native" option. With DoP It seems to go up where It Is supposed to go, tnx.

P.s. I have to rethink about 4.4 output... With my Audeze Isine 20 It goes out pretty well in the end.. :)

Glad you solved the problem. Maybe the coaxial input of Chord Mojo only works with DoP but not Native (I am not familiar with Mojo, only speculate from your description).

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #1,136 of 2,518
4.4 output vs 4.4 output yes. But you'll want to stick with the 3.5mm output on the N3 Pro for better sound quality. And in that case the DX160 will be over twice as powerful.

DX160 will be over twice as powerful? are you comparing 3.5mm output from N3Pro to 3.5mm from DX160?

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,137 of 2,518
This won't work, Schiit Asgard 2 and Topping A90 are analogue only, they don't have coaxial input.

I guess I should have checked what those products are about lol!!! Not familiar with it, and just went by someone saying usb-c to rca, assuming they are talking digital coax. I see, it's an amplifier with rca analogue inputs. My bad, sorry.

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,138 of 2,518
Finally have some time to "double-amp" N3Pro+BX4.
N3Pro LO > BX4: tube sound leaner, but sound stage wider and cleaner. Turn up volume past 2pm and the sound can be distorted.
N3Pro PO > BX4: tube sound lusher, sound stage narrower but background darker. N3Pro volume at 100, BX4 past 2pm or even 3pm, still no distortion.

What is the Line Out setting of your N3Pro? you can lower the output level of N3Pro line out and this should get rid of th e distortion.

Line Out setting.jpg

Sep 25, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #1,139 of 2,518
Thank you very much for your suggestion.

1. You can disable auto resume. At Music setting, select Breakpoint resume, select OFF.

2. I play around with the volume knob tonight and cannot figure out the dangerous condition you have suggested. Have you run into similar situation so far? The volume knob of N3Pro has two metal guards and these will limit the movement. If you move the volume knob by simple up and down movement on the side of the knob, you can only change +/3dB in one move.

Maybe you can illustrate your point by providing a video to how us how you can increase or decrease the volume significantly (e.g, 10dB) in one continuous move towards one direction.

Thanks for your reply.

1. The problem with setting Breakpoint Resume to Off is that the last song played is totally removed upon re-boot. I would much prefer it to display the last song played but on paused at the last paused time. May be I’m used to this as most DAPs do this.

2. I have not run into a situation with large accidental volume changes yet but had some unrealized volume changes by more than a few clicks on a couple of occasions already. The volume wheel is loose and turns quite easily. I’m just concerned of potential bigger changes that may cause problem later. If you reassure it won’t happened I guess I can accept, though I wish there’s some better protection for unintended volume changes.

PS: Not that I’m complaining the volume wheel is loose in the sense that it is not good. It just makes it easy to turn and more susceptible to unintended changes.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #1,140 of 2,518
I have been enjoying N3Pro for about 2 weeks now.
Yesterday, I noticed weird noise only on the right channel when bring the volume to zero while playing music with tube mode (either Ultra Linear or Triad mode).
Noise disappears as soon as I switch to solid state mode. The noise sounds like turning the volume knob on an old and rusty desktop amplifier.
I'm wondering if I got a working but under-spec quality tube for the right channel.
Any thought?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back