Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,876 of 2,518
When connect via BT to an Apple phone, I’m assuming you can answer a phone call while hearing the caller via N3Pro but still utilize phone microphone for talkback. Has anyone tried this?

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,877 of 2,518
Here's my review of the Cayin N3Pro:

Generally I'm quite happy with the player, but I'll start with my quibbles, a lot of which I think has been brought up by others in this thread:
  • Volume knob is a bit wobbly
  • Album art loads slowly on browse menus
  • No ability to play all / shuffle all songs by artist.
  • I'd like some swipe gesture or something to navigate backward -- the back-arrow in the upper-left corner is a far reach for my thumb
  • If you enable "Breakpoint resume," the player will boot up and immediately start playing audio
  • The full-screen number when changing volume is kinda unnecessary, seems like a Hiby OS thing
On the whole, fairly minor issues. What I like:
  • Nice build and general hand feel
  • Simple button layout that's still usable through the case, without looking
  • It glows and gets warm 👀 -- not a joke, big part of the appeal for me
  • Sounds great and largely neutral on solid state amp; only a very minimal noise floor on my my sensitive IEMs
  • Tube mode, especially in Triode, is a useful alternative that provides a genuinely different flavor to the audio; ultra-linear mode is a bit aggressive for most of my music, but is useful for some poorly-mastered stuff I have
  • A lot of settings accessible via the drop-down menu that seems to work everywhere

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #1,879 of 2,518
Here's my review of the Cayin N3Pro:
Generally I'm quite happy with the player, but I'll start with my quibbles, a lot of which I think has been brought up by others in this thread:
  • Volume knob is a bit wobbly
  • The full-screen number when changing volume is kinda unnecessary, seems like a Hiby OS thing
It's good for making big adjustments with touch screen when needed (like for example going from volume 50 to volume 80), see your point nr 1.

• Tube mode, especially in Triode, is a useful alternative that provides a genuinely different flavor to the audio; ultra-linear mode is a bit aggressive for most of my music, but is useful for some poorly-mastered stuff I have

The tube mode preference also seems to depend on IEM synergy (and also things like recording/mastering/music style and age). But it's a a subjective thing for sure, and nice that people have varying opinions about it.

Jan 9, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #1,880 of 2,518
Anyone knows how to get the USB-C port to work as SPDIF out? I haven't seen any UCSBC to SPDIF cables.

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #1,883 of 2,518
Further to earlier posts...

I just tried connecting the N3Pro via LDAC wirelessly to my low-latency USB DAC (which is connected to my Mac), expecting to get a lower latency.

The latency is now doubled compared just connecting the Mac straight to N3Pro USB connection. It's massive. About 2000ms! What's going on there? Are the tubes adding the latency or some internal processing of some sort?

There is no latency at the DAC end and LDAC is supposed to be a lot less than 2000ms (in region of 150ms I believe).

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #1,884 of 2,518
D474949C-C970-4563-A2E9-11A53443317B.jpeg

A few people showed interest in my earlier post about battery management when the N3Pro is used as a USB DAC/amp - both for the DAP itself and the host device. The setup above was inspired by E1DA’s “red wire” mod, in which you use a Y-splitter to feed the PowerDAC with data from a phone and current from an external battery, and cut the charge (red) wire from the end that goes into the phone so the splitter is forced to draw power from the battery.

In spite of its undeniable Cold War spy movie chic, I wasn’t so keen on this mod, especially the part where both the current and the data transit between high-quality devices through a crappy $2 generic splitter with presumably high manufacturing tolerances and no particular concern for audio - which on top of that you’ve pried open then sealed back shut.

The device above allows the same fundamental setup but it’s a reliable little hub with an aluminum enclosure, more substantial but still small and lightweight, that doubles as an SD, MicroSD and TF card reader (cool of you dabble into photography too). The phone has to be plugged into the white USB-C cable that sticks out from the hub itself, and the battery then charges both the DAP at a reasonable rate and the phone, lightly (in my case it’s keeping the battery reading stable). This is the page on amazon.de, (it’s a German brand), I found mine on amazon FR, if you search for “kwmobile hub” you’ll find it easily.

I’m happy this way, but it doesn’t address the fact that charging can’t be switched off at all on the N3Pro. @Andykong dismissed my concern and wrote it had been discussed before, but I remember that part of the thread and it wasn’t about that exact issue. I still fail to understand why I can toggle the charging on or off on my Qudelix-5K and not on the N3Pro when both have their own battery.

I also encounter little pops and artefacts on LDAC receiver mode that I don’t understand. It doesn’t seem to be tube-related because I get them in SS mode too. Nor interference, which I get when sticking the DAP and my phone together but is otherwise well managed. Anyone else experience this? @Stuff Jones do you still get those pops in USB mode or did firmware updates take care of them?

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,886 of 2,518
I’m happy this way, but it doesn’t address the fact that charging can’t be switched off at all on the N3Pro. @Andykong dismissed my concern and wrote it had been discussed before, but I remember that part of the thread and it wasn’t about that exact issue. I still fail to understand why I can toggle the charging on or off on my Qudelix-5K and not on the N3Pro when both have their own battery.

I vaguely remember that discussion as well, but if I'm not mistaken he didn't dismiss the concern but rather pointed out that it will require redesign and can't be implemented with a simple fw/sw update.

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,889 of 2,518

Users who are viewing this thread

Back