Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Nov 12, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #1,606 of 2,518
Im enjoying the N3Pro more and more each day, apparently can't live without it :sweat_smile: :L3000:

I just installed the new firmware, isn't there an option to put the clock on the top bar? Only lock screen? I disabled the lock screen, didn't see any use of it :)

My goodness, the top bar is so congested already, are you sure we can squeeze a clock to that? After all, that is 480 pixel only. The clock screen is just a convenient add-on, we add clock function to N3Pro because of the “Recently Added” function. It's the mean, not the end. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

One issue though @Andykong, the clock display only updates when the unit is unlocked. If I press the scroll wheel I would expect to see the correct time displayed, but that is not the case - I have to swipe up to unlock and update the time.

Technically, we can do that, but that will affect the battery duration because we need to a add a real-time process to update the clock time continuously. There is a good chance that we'll remove the clock display on lock screen instead of making it "correct" as you expected. Be reminded that N3Pro is not developed on top of a well-established general purpose OS, there is very little support on multi-tasking, and right now, audio playback is always at top priority of the processing queue, we don't want to put the clock display at the same priority level as audio playback.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 12, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #1,607 of 2,518
I could be wrong but seems like there's no way to trigger volume adjustment without using the wheel. But you can adjust the volume once it's triggered by swiping up/down on the numbers when they appear

So I can kick it in the trash bin when the volume wheels brakes after the warranty ends :frowning2: I guess the costs for repairing plus shipping costs will be too high.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,608 of 2,518
My goodness, the top bar is so congested already, are you sure we can squeeze a clock to that? After all, that is 480 pixel only. The clock screen is just a convenient add-on, we add clock function to N3Pro because of the “Recently Added” function. It's the mean, not the end. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Technically, we can do that, but that will affect the battery duration because we need to a add a real-time process to update the clock time continuously. There is a good chance that we'll remove the clock display on lock screen instead of making it "correct" as you expected. Be reminded that N3Pro is not developed on top of a well-established general purpose OS, there is very little support on multi-tasking, and right now, audio playback is always at top priority of the processing queue, we don't want to put the clock display at the same priority level as audio playback.
Okay I get you with the clock! :beerchug::sweat_smile:

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #1,609 of 2,518
song scanning still cannot exceed 20000 with new firmware.

Sorry to disappoint you. This is a design constraint, not a bug. we have explained the reason behind the limitation already (HERE). We believe this is the best optimisation for N3Pro and we have no plan to revise this limitation in the N3Pro product life.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #1,610 of 2,518
Language: Japanese
"Recently Added" list is not displayed...
Only "Recent played songs", "My Favorites", and "Playlist" will be displayed.
It's available in English.

Confirmation procedure
FW Update -> Factory Reset -> Date and time setting -> Scan music -> Add an album using the card reader -> Add a song via USB connection

Bug confirmed, we'll rectify this in subsequent firmware update. :beerchug:

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #1,611 of 2,518
You're asking this about Oriolus BA300S, right (as I'm reading that thread too)? Since I asked about that somewhere at page 10 or so before I got N3Pro and got this relevant reply from Andykong:

So now I have both, and I have tried it couple of times from the PO of 4.4 and it "worked" but it was also a bit pointless for me since that didn't feel like a stack that I want to use, I use the "native" tubes of N3Pro and alternatively Oriolus with my Ibasso DAP if I feel like. And there was some extra hiss I think with the N3Pro + Oriolus combo, so that put me off a bit as well.

I just checked, the ZX300 is rated at 50mW + 50mW (16ohm High Gain), so theoretically the output at 32ohm will be 25mW (maybe less, but unlikely more than that). The 3.5mm (SS) phone output of N3Pro is 250mW, and 3.5mm (Tube) is 130mW, that is 5 to 10 times of ZX300. That probably explained the "extra" hiss. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,612 of 2,518
Can you please elaborate on the freeze/rebooth conditions? Does it happens more often with certain file format? or a particular album? with standard CD format (16Bit/44.1kHz) or more often with high resolution files? during the middle of playback? or when you browsing through your music database and payback at background? do you start your playback at folder view? or from album/artist? or you have created your playlist? ...

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your prompt response. I didnt notice too details, but there are 02 occasions it happens with high frequence.

• The first is after 10 mins tube working, then I switch the volume wheel up/down, then freezed and reboot. Not depends on speed of rotate slow/fast.
  • Other is when playing music, then I edit Setting/Music Setting (EQ for example) then freeze.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #1,613 of 2,518
So sad that the n3p doesnt have android OS. I really need a dap do that it can replace my phone to stream spotify, tidal or yt music.

Do you guys have any recomendation, a similar dap with n3p but using an android OS?

This question has been asked many times after we announce N3Pro but not yet released to market. If you are referring to streaming on a DAP with vacuum tube audio circuit, check our previous discussion about tube noise/distortion.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #1,614 of 2,518
I own an N3 and N3 Pro, so no tarring. Perhaps having many years (and dollars invested) has jaded my thought process? Either way I am enjoying your latest creation and look forward to what is coming in the future

Thank you very much for your support, glad you like our N3 and N3Pro. When we develop the N3Pro, we did discuss a lot whether our N3 users will accept a big price jump and go into N3Pro, we are not optimistic at that time, but we go ahead with what we think is the best attempt for the overall Personal Audio segment, and your support is an endorsement of our choice.

By the way, not tarring on Cayin DAP, I was referring to review arrangement. :beerchug:

Nov 12, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #1,615 of 2,518
I just submitted item (1) and (3) to the Engineering team, they'll come back to me after their investigation. My gut feeling is, if the album will display when you scroll the list slowly, this is a design compromise, not a bug. For instance, the album art in the main playback screen will have around 2 second delays, we give priority to data buffering and delayed the display of album art deliberately.

The Alphabetic quick access bar works fine without the leather case, but the leather case does make it very difficult to use. We can't enlarge the abcd buttons but fortunately the new search function in v1.2 firmware will increase the efficiency to locate an album, artist or a track.
Andy,
The albums do not display when you scroll slowly or even if you stop scrolling altogether, ie when viewing albums per specific artist via Artist category browse.
Thanks

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #1,616 of 2,518
Will using the N3Pro in USB DAC mode a lot be bad for the battery?

Is this true? It seems like a pretty significant design flaw if you damage your battery in USB DAC mode after charged. It charges in what 2-3 hours, so even if you only use it empty that really limits the time you should use it in USB DAC mode.

The other point is that the manual says not to play the device while charging. I assume whatever the reason for this, it does not apply to USB DAC mode?

The power management function of N3Pro is actually quite complicated and comprehensive, we have a PMU microcontroller to take care of the charging and power supply functions. Fine tune power supply to different section of audio circuit is the one of the reason why N3Pro (or any of Cayin DAP) sounds good.

We don't recommend playback during charging, that's because some of the condition/setting can draw a lot of current and causing the player to operate in fairly high temperature. It is still safe but will become very uncomfortable for portable application. When you are charging your DAP with USB power bank bank or wall charger, we'll assume you are charging the player at around 10W (~5V/2A), but when you are connect N3Pro to a computer (or mobile phone) as USB DAC, the charging current are typically 2.5W only (~5V/0.5A). Experienced N3Pro users can check this out by playing the same album (Hi-Res or DSD) with N3Pro connected to a 5V2A power bank and the USB2.0 output of your notebook (or Android mobile phone), I bet you can feel the different in operation temperature of your DAP (very obvious IMO). That's why we don't recommend playback during charging but our USB DAC is doing that. In fact, the different can be more significant if you are using a QC charger with a QC compatible player because the charging power can go all the way to 18W (for QC3.0)

When you connect the N3Pro as an USB DAC, the PMU in the player will give priority to the power supply from USB connector, and in case the power supply from USB is not enough, it will draw power from the battery as well, that's why if you are using the N3Pro as USB DAC at really demanding condition (e.g, DSD with screen on), you'll notice the battery reading is going down as well, but at a much slower pace than local playback at the same condition.

Last but not least, when the battery is fully charged, the PMU will stop charging the battery (reduce the charging current to zero) but the player will continue to operate from power supply through USB connector.

To be honest, we didn't design the N3Pro as a desktop replacement, we design the USB DAC function as an add-on to the local playback application. It is marketed as a portable player, and if you intend to use it as a desktop device instead of a portable player, you are stretching the limit of the DAP. It is technically feasible, and it is safe to do so, but the efficient is low. The fact that we'll cut off the charging current after the battery is fully charged doesn't mean it has zero implication to the overall battery life. It is safe to do so, but this is not the intended applications our DAP are designed and marketed for.

Last edited:

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #1,617 of 2,518
Do you mean this one? last album cover never pops in on the page sometimes?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...with-vacuum-tube.938211/page-89#post-15903125

Sorry, I might have lost track of this problem completely, I try to find album art or scrolled down in this thread but couldn't identify the original post correctly.

Yes say I have 30 Rush albums, when I scroll to the second part- a new page if you will it remains blank. It never pops in.

Unless I go out and try again, then sometimes that section will pop in. My album art is all under 500x 500. I've never experienced this before. Even if it takes a second on other daps it will pop in, not remain blank.

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #1,618 of 2,518
I believe its for the sake of performance, it doesn't load all of them at the same time, so you can get a smoother scrolling and overall more fps right after you enter the category. If that's the true, then i pretty much value responsiveness over waiting 2-3 seconds to load some album art.

Mine never loads, just stats blank. Not everytime

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #1,619 of 2,518
Honestly what you prefer is highly subjective. For example many people say the DX160 is the best in it's price class and competes with 700 EUR DAPs.

My findings are ( I can hear this tendencies with different headphones):

I highly appreciated the sound of Fiio M11. The sound quality was spectacular with good recordings. But for my personal requirements it was not ideal. I hear alot of normal to bad produced stuff (like all kind of rock genres). And for this kind of music the analytical sound doesn't work so well. Another thing I don't liked was that the voices were a bit cold and lacked emotions.

The Ibasso DX160 was a big dissapointment. For ME the DX160 sounded underwhelming like a 100 EUR DAP. Look at all the praise and the good reviews. I think these guys really like the Ibasso but it's not my cup of tea. It sounded aggressiv all the time. The voices especially the male ones were hidden behind the music and lacked body and thickness. The whole sound picture felt a bit distant and unbalanced.

The Cayin N3 Pros the best allrounder even it is also not perfect.

Only my humble opinion which probably differrs from yours.
Thats interesting, from my comparisons between the M11 and DX160 I found that the M11 to be the brighter of the two with inferior staging. The N3 Pro is still in my bucketlist of daps to try.

Which mode is your favourite on the N3 Pro by the way?

Nov 14, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,620 of 2,518
Thats interesting, from my comparisons between the M11 and DX160 I found that the M11 to be the brighter of the two with inferior staging. The N3 Pro is still in my bucketlist of daps to try.

Which mode is your favourite on the N3 Pro by the way?
I know my opinion was asked on this but I can’t help but share one—UL tube mode. I leave it on almost exclusively unless a particular iem isn’t tuned to suit it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back