Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Oct 28, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,516 of 2,518
This is my last post on this. Unless you give up on this hobby you will eventually make a change somehow. Otherwise better units (yes there will be better units, always will be so) will also be 30 and the rating system as you define it will cease to function properly.
I disagree. Highest rating in context of particular unit under consideration. Other units present variations making reviews relative to them. It’s like saying there can only be one five star rated Jazz album, the only one, exclusively supreme, in blindness to different styles

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,517 of 2,518
🤣🤣🤣🤣. Im sure thats not what @originalsnuffy meant but damn, that kinda makes sense 🙈
This relates to Zambu's observation.

Not really apples to apples. I consume quite a few movies. Many movies can be rated five stars. I don't repeat movies all that often. They don't cost much or are bundled into services like Netflix.

Now with digital audio players, I probably own one at a time. Maybe two. So the purchase is a considered choice. The units start at roughly $100 and the one in question is $500. So this is a considered purchase and if all are rated perfect then how does one choose except on price?

I will consume plenty of five star movies but probably only one five star DAP.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,518 of 2,518
This relates to Zambu's observation.

Not really apples to apples. I consume quite a few movies. Many movies can be rated five stars. I don't repeat movies all that often. They don't cost much or are bundled into services like Netflix.

Now with digital audio players, I probably own one at a time. Maybe two. So the purchase is a considered choice. The units start at roughly $100 and the one in question is $500. So this is a considered purchase and if all are rated perfect then how does one choose except on price?

I will consume plenty of five star movies but probably only one five star DAP.
This is the FIRST full rated product that ive reviewed in 7 years. I think youre hugely exxagerating friend :)

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #1,519 of 2,518
This is the FIRST full rated product that ive reviewed in 7 years. I think youre hugely exxagerating friend :)
When you inevitably either create a higher top number for ratings (because you will need it) or re-rate this unit, think of this conversation. Please note; I am not suggesting a high rating is not merited. I am suggesting that once you give something a very top rating you have boxed yourself in.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #1,522 of 2,518
Hi ALL...
I own iBasso DX220 with AMP9... so how's the N3pro sounds compared to DX229?
Is N3pro is better than DX229?
Thank you...

I have DX200 & 220 and Amp9, and I think DX209 has a better sound than DX229.

DX209 probably has a bigger soundstage than N3Pro, but it has a bit of veil compared to N3Pro. The vocal on N3Pro does sound sweeter to me than on DX209.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,524 of 2,518
Hey, Crinnacle does that so why not you?
because crinacle is one reviewer and it's an individual choice to run a website in whatever way the owner wishes. AFAIK there is no international law governing review or rating methodologies for hobby topics.

Highest rating in context of particular unit under consideration.
I'd also add time to context here.

"Highest rating in context of particular unit under consideration"....at the time the review score (rating) was published.

I actually like the idea that something can get a perfect score given that point in time - compared to competitors products that were available at that same point in time.

Oct 30, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #1,525 of 2,518
because crinacle is one reviewer and it's an individual choice to run a website in whatever way the owner wishes. AFAIK there is no international law governing review or rating methodologies for hobby topics.

"Highest rating in context of particular unit under consideration"....at the time the review score (rating) was published.

I actually like the idea that something can get a perfect score given that point in time - compared to competitors products that were available at that same point in time.
I believe that headphone audio market is evolving so rapidly that these ratings are quite time-dependant, arent they?

Anyway, i believe that there are many great reviewers and one should read the ones he/she feels. Feedback is great and always welcome, but forcing to change something isn't really a great way i believe. Overyone works differently, we all have different tastes, ideas and ways of rating stuff.

Nonetheless, no worries, we can all have our thoughts and im happy that im getting feedback and suggestions :)

Oct 30, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,526 of 2,518
Since I have random thoughts, the trap is the ratings system that has 30 steps. The fewer steps you have in a ratings system, the less people freak out over a perfect score. That’s why I prefer the 5 star rating (no decimals) for almost everything. That way, it forces readers to look at the content of the review. Anything else sets up the author and editors to an endless semantic debate about what constitutes a “perfect 30“.

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #1,528 of 2,518

From what I read, the reviewer has provided adequate "time" information, he said:
"This is the FIRST full rated product that ive reviewed in 7 years"

so we can interpret the statement as the only full rated product from 2013 to 2020?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 31, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,529 of 2,518
Would anyone know if its possible to change the main item artist to show album artist instead?
Thankyou

Not possible, I can submit this as a request, it is unlikely that we can allow users to upload an image as artist thumbnail, but if the artist has multiple albums. maybe we can allow users to select a particular album art as artist thumbnail.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 1, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #1,530 of 2,518
Someone can please compare N3Pro to HiBy r6 pro, both on 4.4 or SE? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back