Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Jan 17, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #2,626 of 2,937
Well I think so because it's no longer pounding. See the DAP has this very incorrect tonality where it would sound super warm and pound instead of bang when it needs to reproduce beat for example. Now it's back to banging. Also yes, definitely I'm now listening to AK mids. And by this I mean mids characteristic of AK daps which I like so much. Also I had very, very big issues listening to the Amber Pearl IEM on this DAP because it was making it unbearably boomy. It's the characteristics of the IEM but it's also been the DAP. I have a feeling it's gonna be much, much different now when I get to it. I'm right now listening through the Jewel CIEM
In this case, the only assumption is that this change in sound is indirectly related to the change in output power/voltage/power consumption (sorry I don't remember what exactly was done there) from FW 1.3, and not through active intervention as Andy wrote. It would be great if @Andykong could investigate this.

Jan 17, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #2,627 of 2,937
Actually my question above is a result of downgrading and testing yesterday. I have similar impression with the AP combo (P mode, Class A, Mid gain, Modern tube) but at the same time I am very careful not making statements here especially because I have no way to run side by side A/B test..

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #2,628 of 2,937
@Andykong and the rest, I just began listening to 1.2 from a cold start and I don't think it's even close. It feels much grittier and more detailed; exactly what the DAP was missing. I had only been listening to it on 1.3 and the sound is quite meh when it's cold. Now I'm actually listening to something that more resembles AKM sound without the unit even having warmed up. From the very, very initial impression I'd say something has been done to the sound and I've no desire to upgrade the firmware now. I'm gonna listen more but if we turn out to be correct, can you guys provide us with a 1.4 update that retains the 1.2 sound? This sounds a lot clearer.
You guys like 1.2 but you dont know that 1.0 was even a tad better.
N30 back then was jaw dropping good in the midrange and staging.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #2,629 of 2,937
In this case, the only assumption is that this change in sound is indirectly related to the change in output power/voltage/power consumption (sorry I don't remember what exactly was done there) from FW 1.3, and not through active intervention as Andy wrote. It would be great if @Andykong could investigate this.
IMG_6343.jpeg

Enhancements in the power management to reduce the operational temperature.

This means lovering the voltage to me

There could be also a spread across all devices and some are sonically affected by this "power management enhancement" and others are not.

We will see.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #2,630 of 2,937
IMG_6343.jpeg

Enhancements in the power management to reduce the operational temperature.

This means lovering the voltage to me

There could be also a spread across all devices and some are sonically affected by this "power management enhancement" and others are not.

We will see.
Indeed they probably have done something to reduce the current but it has affected the mids and the dynamics quite a bit. There's just no presence in the vocals in 1.3 and it's overall quite a dry presentation. It has been a complex workaround but the results are obvious. I think this is what it's taken to reduce the current so drastically. Wonder if the battery would suffer now. Now what we need to do is I think groupbuy a brand new unit and dump the 1.0 firmware if they refuse to give it to us ^^ @Andykong come on man, the device I'm listening to now is superior to 1.3

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #2,631 of 2,937
Cayin not supposed to make any changes that may impact sound quality indirectly. Ton of research and effort have been invested into development, testing of the first release. My expectations of later software releases is UX bug fixes, integration improvements, etc. In other words anything on the Android side is fine in contrast to operation of the audio circuits. I wonder why and what are the changes made on 1.3…?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #2,632 of 2,937
Cayin should never make any changes that may impact sound quality indirectly. Ton of research and effort have been invested into development, testing of the first release. My expectations of later software releases is UX bug fixes, integration improvements, etc. In other words anything on the Android side is fine in contrast to operation of the audio circuits. I wonder why and what are the changes made on 1.3…?
Sounds very odd.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #2,633 of 2,937
Sounds very odd.
First Firmware 1.4 in my ears seems to have restored and improved my original experience of the N30LE AP relaxed, detailed and nicely sweet, I mean naturally not artificial and very nuanced. I believe this happened by fixing other issues and optimizing the circuit, Not by intention to change the tonality. But if you have truly been a true audiophile you will realize that improvements in the surrounding circuits will have impact on the sound no matter how subtle. Try this, if your main listening source is SDcard while listening turn on and then off your internet connection on the DAP(any Dap ) by the way and you should hear a distinct difference as the digital noise generated by the wifi circuit and even power usage is eliminated. If you don't hear that, I would say then stop complaining about 1.2,1.3,1.4 updates. My 2cents
Thanks 😉

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #2,634 of 2,937
First Firmware 1.4 in my ears seems to have restored and improved my original experience of the N30LE AP relaxed, detailed and nicely sweet, I mean naturally not artificial and very nuanced. I believe this happened by fixing other issues and optimizing the circuit, Not by intention to change the tonality. But if you have truly been a true audiophile you will realize that improvements in the surrounding circuits will have impact on the sound no matter how subtle. Try this, if your main listening source is SDcard while listening turn on and then off your internet connection on the DAP(any Dap ) by the way and you should hear a distinct difference as the digital noise generated by the wifi circuit and even power usage is eliminated. If you don't hear that, I would say then stop complaining about 1.2,1.3,1.4 updates. My 2cents
Thanks 😉
I am still very skeptical about all of this. I haven't downgraded yet because I don't have the time or inclination at the moment. Nevertheless, I like to be surprised. It's extremely difficult to make accurate comparisons within a few seconds between different daps. I somehow can't imagine that you can hear such a difference after a few minutes. Then there's the wishful thinking. If Andykong says that this change in power management has no effect on the sound, I am satisfied with the answer and will not test anything.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #2,635 of 2,937
I am still very skeptical about all of this. I haven't downgraded yet because I don't have the time or inclination at the moment. Nevertheless, I like to be surprised. It's extremely difficult to make accurate comparisons within a few seconds between different daps. I somehow can't imagine that you can hear such a difference after a few minutes. Then there's the wishful thinking. If Andykong says that this change in power management has no effect on the sound, I am satisfied with the answer and will not test anything.
hahahah

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #2,636 of 2,937
Believe me, you will hear the differences immediately.

To play it safe, listen for one hour with 1.3 to you favorite playlist and then do the downgrade to 1.2
The changes are obvious, not minor.
Its like a vail being removed. Sound is clear and crisp after (midrange), has better transient respond, microdynamics, like many described here. I recognize the changes in everyones description.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #2,637 of 2,937

To play it safe, listen for one hour with 1.3 to you favorite playlist and then do the downgrade to 1.2
Its like a vail being removed. Sound is clear and crisp after (midrange), has better transient respond, microdynamics, like many described here. I recognize the changes in everyones description.
Thank you for sharing.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #2,638 of 2,937

Let him listen to 1.3 bro if the government says we need to eat bugs we eat bugs the heck ^^

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #2,639 of 2,937
Cayin not supposed to make any changes that may impact sound quality indirectly. Ton of research and effort have been invested into development, testing of the first release. My expectations of later software releases is UX bug fixes, integration improvements, etc. In other words anything on the Android side is fine in contrast to operation of the audio circuits. I wonder why and what are the changes made on 1.3…?
When you know let me know.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #2,640 of 2,937
Thanks 😉
I am sure you are not trying to be disrespectful to anyone here.. :). I think what many here are expecting is consistency among versions when it comes to sound quality. Seems few audiophiles here report sound quality degradation that possibility made indirectly. No one claim intentional change of tonality…let’s see what Andy has to say about this… thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back