Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Jan 17, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #2,656 of 2,945
Unless someone is able to directly A/B 2 units with different firmware, I'm gonna be skeptical of these supposed differences. I've upgraded to 1.4 and it sounds the same as 1.3. People said the same thing about firmware sound changes in the SP3000 thread. I A/B'd two units with different firmware and couldn't hear any difference. IMHO a lot of this is psychological. But hey, if this helps you enjoy your DAP more, power to you.

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #2,657 of 2,945
Unless someone is able to directly A/B 2 units with different firmware, I'm gonna be skeptical of these supposed differences. I've upgraded to 1.4 and it sounds the same as 1.3. People said the same thing about firmware sound changes in the SP3000 thread. I A/B'd two units with different firmware and couldn't hear any difference. IMHO a lot of this is psychological. But hey, if this helps you enjoy your DAP more, power to you.
It’s amazing ^^

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #2,658 of 2,945
n30le.jpg

n30le2.jpg

@Cayin @CayinTechnician @Andykong

Just received my N30LE yesterday in UK and loving it, very good h/v soundstage and really black background compared to N8ii. But when will it be Roon Ready? It seems that Cayin has been working on it for quite some time now but there is no delivery timeline.

I sold my N8ii because lack of Roon Ready and I was a little surprised to find out that N30LE also lacks it 1.5 years after the release of N8ii...

Been a system engineer myself, I'd estimate it to only take two guys 3 month at most to implement the protocol but I don't know why it's taking so long.

I'd urge you guys to get Roon Ready as soon as possible, this will make up for your weakness in software and stay competitive. It's also a great way to show that you care about your customers!

I'll be looking forward to the Roon Ready firmware for the N30LE.
I have run Roon on the N8ii but not Roon certified so we do not get that tight integration and also the streaming will not be 100% there to that quality. Have you thought the problem may not be a Cayin problem? It may be Roon not being open to let Cayin into the programme. It requires the cooperation of the Roon guys to give them the APIs to write the code to integrate it. I would not be surprised if it is Roon who is holding back:wink:

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #2,659 of 2,945
OK folks, my quick summary of the relevant points regarding firmware:
  • The operating temperatures in early firmware are not harmful to the device.
  • Cayin is able to reduce the operating temperature via a firmware update
  • It appears that the reduction in operating temperature is achieved by reducing operating voltages
  • There are users who notice a change in the sound as a result
My suggestion is: Maybe @Andykong could be motivated to ask Cayin to implement an additional parameter (perhaps a slider) in the audio/system menu that allows the relevant voltages to be set manually (within operationally safe limits, of course). This means that everyone can configure their own preferences when it comes to sound and operating temperature

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #2,660 of 2,945
I see alot of Cayin affiliates here, pretending to be regular headfiers.

And it is effing DISGUSTING!

People are spending thousends of dollars for cables to improve the sound but are to lazy to do a downgrade to find out if it improves the sound.

Ok, i get it
😂😂😂

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #2,661 of 2,945

People are spending thousends of dollars for cables to improve the sound but are to lazy to do a downgrade to find out if it improves the sound.

Ok, i get it
😂😂😂
Just leave it alone and be respectful of our opinions, please.

I also didn't try to convince others that Tidal stock is already bit perfect and doesn't need UAPP or that there is zero difference in sound quality between streaming apps and stock apps - both are de facto the case for me. It's just the way it is.

I'm not here to argue, I'm here to have fun, and I feel like some of you have lost sight of that. Live and let live 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #2,662 of 2,945
I agree with Stefano that we should stay calm and concentrate on bringing value to the thread.
So I see it now that there are options for us to choose and then other headfiers can decide which options to follow or try with their own ears.
But we should stay tolerant.

On the other hand I am also thankful for critical comments regarding impressions on gear (without disrespect 😉), otherwise I wouldn't have tried going back to 1.2 and listen myself

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #2,663 of 2,945
Are you calling us deaf? ^^
No, you and others are simply paranoid who want everyone to believe that what you "feel" with a certain upgrade is reality.
This behavior is ridiculous

Jan 18, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #2,664 of 2,945

Ok, i get it
😂😂😂
What a joke 😂
Please just go back to your time domain or whatever is that. You watch too much Jujutsu Kaisen maybe? Let us enjoy this thread like before and keep all your nonsense blabbering to yourself. You like the 1.2 FW so much? Then enjoy it and just shut up. Thanks for letting us know, but in the end it's my own stuff and you don't need to tell me what to do. There are people here asking more important thing and they need help from @Andykong, but because you talk too much, their post got pushed back and end up unanswered. Btw not going to reply to your response. Welcome to my ignore list 😉

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #2,665 of 2,945
I agree with Stefano that we should stay calm and concentrate on bringing value to the thread.
So I see it now that there are options for us to choose and then other headfiers can decide which options to follow or try with their own ears.
But we should stay tolerant.

On the other hand I am also thankful for critical comments regarding impressions on gear (without disrespect 😉), otherwise I wouldn't have tried going back to 1.2 and listen myself
I see it the same,

what i dont understand that people get personally offended by constructive criticism and sabotage the community of people who point at weak points of N30 firmware, who are good intended and wants to push the device forward.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #2,666 of 2,945
No, you and others are simply paranoid who want everyone to believe that what you "feel" with a certain upgrade is reality.
This behavior is ridiculous
1705566711300.png

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #2,667 of 2,945
OK folks, my quick summary of the relevant points regarding firmware:
  • The operating temperatures in early firmware are not harmful to the device.
  • Cayin is able to reduce the operating temperature via a firmware update
  • It appears that the reduction in operating temperature is achieved by reducing operating voltages
  • There are users who notice a change in the sound as a result
My suggestion is: Maybe @Andykong could be motivated to ask Cayin to implement an additional parameter (perhaps a slider) in the audio/system menu that allows the relevant voltages to be set manually (within operationally safe limits, of course). This means that everyone can configure their own preferences when it comes to sound and operating temperature
@Andykong

What would be more interesting is to expose the voltage control in the settings menu for power users to tweek the I.C.

Is this a possibility? This basically give the power of fine-tuning to end-users, I'd argue it's bad for business because now end-user get to choose their own taste instead of buying new devices.:sweat_smile:

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #2,668 of 2,945
I have run Roon on the N8ii but not Roon certified so we do not get that tight integration and also the streaming will not be 100% there to that quality. Have you thought the problem may not be a Cayin problem? It may be Roon not being open to let Cayin into the programme. It requires the cooperation of the Roon guys to give them the APIs to write the code to integrate it. I would not be surprised if it is Roon who is holding back:wink:
I'm geniunely interested in knowing why would Roon do such a thing? Isn't it in their best interests to acquire more hardware partners to promot their software?

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #2,669 of 2,945
I see it the same,

what i dont understand that people get personally offended by constructive criticism and sabotage the community of people who point at weak points of N30 firmware, who are good intended and wants to push the device forward.
It’s no longer constructive when we are labelled deaf and called lazy. Yes, I felt offended by these labelling.

Edit: my first and last response to this fw debate. I belong to the camp who are not bothered about fw upgrades

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #2,670 of 2,945
It’s no longer constructive when we are labelled deaf and called lazy. Yes, I felt offended by these labelling.

Edit: my first and last response to this fw debate. I belong to the camp who are not bothered about fw upgrades
Back in the days of the ZX500, there were tons of discussions about which firmware update changes the sound in what way and how the apps sound different and how the bit perfect settings change the sound and so on. People even complained at the app maker on why their app sounds worse than others and so on.

I then used my professional DI to record the output of the ZX500 playing several reference songs with different firmware versions, different apps and different settings in the player (bit perfect and not bit perfect).

The result was that all sounded 100% identical. Even when you changed from bit-perfect to downconvert (16/44.1), the only difference was that everything above 20kHz was gone.

So in my experience, people can discuss for months how different the apps, firmware versions and settings sound but in the end, if you use the exact same technology that was used to record and make these songs in the first place, there is no difference.

I also did a blind test with IER-M9 and i was not able to distinguish any of them, at all.

I was only slightly surprised that i was not able to detect any difference, i was much more surprised that it turned out that almost everyone in this thread (even though nobody tested it and/or did an blindtest) was 100% sure there were differences which caused a big flamewar

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back