Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Jan 9, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #2,551 of 2,988
One point to consider about the point source.
When you go from top to bottom the sound image is closer to the point source at the top due to clean edge definition.
While when go down, the image is more expanded and far from the point source. The image can expand more in space but the edge definition is inferior. That could cause bigger, deeper sound stage in some case but the image precision is worse.
The sound signature can varied with device when combining with its circuit but I‘m glad that you can understand what I have written about the filter in different machine. Yep, The filter is Matter.
What exactly do you mean by that? If the sound image is closer through Hyper and P+, I have the strong impression that I am missing sound information. But otherwise yes, it's sharper.

I have similar sharing with my personal friends in this hobby but to a slightly different extent. I suggested "repeatedly" that they should stop using Hyper mode exclusively. I understand Hyper offers the biggest "difference" from their previous DAPs, but the reason why we offered many different combinations of settings/modes is because Cayin didn't believe Hyper is always THE choice for every IEM or scenario.

Stop using Hyper Mode and use Hyper Mode exclusively are like two ends of a pendulum clock. Be water and let the N30LE blend into your music, know the performance and sonic characteristics of your DAP, and pick the combination with an open mind.
Great, I'm glad to see that I'm really not crazy when I think something like this.

The digital filters in AKM chipset have always been a very interesting topic, I believe the Engineers who developed these anti-aliasing filters have nothing to do with the naming of the filters, quite often the explanation from R&D engineers are far too difficult to understand, and communicate in layman terms, so Sales and Marketing team has to develop names and illustration to term the hard science into selling points. So if you make any sense between what you read from the name of the filters to what you heard with your ears, don't be surprised, we have all gone through that stage at some point.

We used to have a lot of discussions on the AKM filters with the "older" DAPs when the DAPs were relatively simple and we didn't have extensive features such as Class A/AB, P/P+, tube/SS, .... , so filters were important features to shape the audio signature of your DAP. For those who want to understand the concept behind the digital filters of the AKM chipset, @docholliday has compared the filters using digital audio reference signals and measured the filters in the studio where he works. He offered the best explanation I have come across. Yes, that was 2017 and the N3 was a $150 DAP based on AK4490. The discussion from Post #3,492 to Post #3,516 and Post #3,623 to Post #3,628 is a good starting point. AKM probably has changed some of the filter settings for different DAC chipsets, but the concepts remain the same IMHO.
Very informative, thank you!

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #2,552 of 2,988
It's a fantastic DAP no don't about it and it does sound excellent but I much prefer to use the LPGT Ti for the size/weight, plus it sounds excellent anyways. In fact I haven't used the N30 for over over 3 weeks now. Also, as soon as I list something for sale, I put it all back into its original packaging and don't use it out of respect to the next owner.

I must say one thing that I still find extremely disappointing is the fact that you can't reverse the skip buttons on the side of a $5,000 DAP 🙈
Before selling your DAP you should consider to install FW 1.2 and give it a try.

I was in the same boat like you after i upgraded to FW 1.3.
i was tempted to sell the N30 because i found that my other DAP sounded much better.

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #2,553 of 2,988
I have similar sharing with my personal friends in this hobby but to a slightly different extent. I suggested "repeatedly" that they should stop using Hyper mode exclusively. I understand Hyper offers the biggest "difference" from their previous DAPs, but the reason why we offered many different combinations of settings/modes is because Cayin didn't believe Hyper is always THE choice for every IEM or scenario.

Stop using Hyper Mode and use Hyper Mode exclusively are like two ends of a pendulum clock. Be water and let the N30LE blend into your music, know the performance and sonic characteristics of your DAP, and pick the combination with an open mind.
I use my N30LE ( with my couple Jewel + Orpheus S ) alternating all three modes (SS and Tube modern / Classic ), as well as the other options (gain, amplification class, P/P+), just to take advantage of everything the DAP can give me.
All this depending on the album/artist I'm listening to.
Of course, when I want to have maximum enjoyment, Hyper mode with Tube Classic and High Gain is the primary choice. That's pure musical drugs 😎😛

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #2,556 of 2,988
Before selling your DAP you should consider to install FW 1.2 and give it a try.

I was in the same boat like you after i upgraded to FW 1.3.
i was tempted to sell the N30 because i found that my other DAP sounded much better.
I have already tried 1.1, 1.2 & 1.3. I just prefer to use the LPGT Ti for the smaller size/weight plus I now know I don't like Android and would much rather have the Lotoo OS as I just use local files 👍

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #2,557 of 2,988
1704848305613.png

Jan 9, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #2,558 of 2,988
Anyone able to fix their Cayin N30BLE? When I boot it up I am only able to get through the language selection and the time zone. Then it gets to a final one and gives the response of "Preparing the ultimate experience". It never goes beyond that. Please help. Cayin N30BLE is charged. Thank you.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #2,559 of 2,988
What exactly do you mean by that? If the sound image is closer through Hyper and P+, I have the strong impression that I am missing sound information. But otherwise yes, it's sharper.
Oh sorry, It is not what I mean, i'm not considering Hyper and P+. I'm using A&K DAP.
I just explain because in other picture I see the column near and far, and trying to explain that.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #2,560 of 2,988
Anyone able to fix their Cayin N30BLE? When I boot it up I am only able to get through the language selection and the time zone. Then it gets to a final one and gives the response of "Preparing the ultimate experience". It never goes beyond that. Please help. Cayin N30BLE is charged. Thank you.

You had performed a Factory reset and WIpe Cache, when the DAP reboots into system initialization, it'll stop at the "ultimate experience" screen and cannot move on?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #2,561 of 2,988
N30LE292 still running trouble free and spending the long weekend tubing with Two SOKs and Empy II (not shown).

TPU case arrived a couple of days ago and despite not extending up to the display, it's fine and can understand why it's designed the way it is. I keep it safely stored in the VanNuys VE291 amp case for easy lugging around the house. Still holding out that Dignis comes out with a custom case.

PXL_20240113_190021991.jpeg

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,562 of 2,988
N30LE292 still running trouble free and spending the long weekend tubing with Two SOKs and Empy II (not shown).

TPU case arrived a couple of days ago and despite not extending up to the display, it's fine and can understand why it's designed the way it is. I keep it safely stored in the VanNuys VE291 amp case for easy lugging around the house. Still holding out that Dignis comes out with a custom case.

PXL_20240113_190021991.jpeg
My N30 AP #11 are running problem free too from the get go 😉
No hissing or anything weird happened. Must be lucky 😁

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #2,563 of 2,988
I had hissing with N30 but settled with burin after 200h and now it is hiss free.

I am now listening exclusively in Solid State Mode.
Paired with Fusion1 cable gives me N30 Classic Tube Mode vibe. Fusion1 is growing on me from day by day. Transient responds got better with burnin, it feels faster and snappier, soundstage expansion is great. It adds a subtle coloration to the sound. Midrange and topend is sparkled with gold dust😬

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #2,564 of 2,988
My N30 AP #11 are running problem free too from the get go 😉
No hissing or anything weird happened. Must be lucky 😁
Lucky as well, no issues whatsoever :pray:

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #2,565 of 2,988
I’m interested in some experiences regarding the burn in process.
My second N30LE has now around 25 hours of burn in and I’m missing some separation and bass power/control. I compared it to a (longer used) AP Version some days ago and the AP Version had a better separation and better dynamics but also a more spicy treble presentation, which let me prefer the normal N30 from a tonality perspective (for Traillii and Meze Elite/Empy2).
So, I’m just interested how much separation and bass control will hopefully increase with the time of use.
Thanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back