Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Jan 7, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #2,536 of 2,988
Which mode do you use? Solid state or tube (classic/modern)?
I forgot, sorry: Tube-Modern.

I had the feeling that Tube Modern vs SS is more plastic in the mids. But I will test it again to be sure. Before that I didn't have the impression that both DAPs were that close in those aspects. I was very close to deciding on the DX320Max.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #2,537 of 2,988
I forgot, sorry: Tube-Modern.

I had the feeling that Tube Modern vs SS is more plastic in the mids. But I will test it again to be sure. Before that I didn't have the impression that both DAPs were that close in those aspects. I was very close to deciding on the DX320Max.
The most natural and complete Sound I hear from N30LE is Tube mode classic and then hyper mode which is Super class A current mode

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #2,538 of 2,988
With a heavy heart I have listed my N30LE294 for sale in the classified DAP section. The N30 does sound absolutely amazing and has the power to drive anything but I am just not using it as I prefer to use my LPGT Ti all the time as I prefer the smaller weight and size which suits me better, plus it sounds excellent anyways.

If any UK buyers are interested please shoot me a pm 👍
As I use the N30LE at home it has become the DAP I use quite often. I travel a lot with the LP6TI and P6Pro Ti99. I have started to warm to the N30LE. It is a great DAP and they set the standards for DAPs going forward. It's forcing me to sell my home HIFI gear :wink:

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #2,539 of 2,988
As I use the N30LE at home it has become the DAP I use quite often. I travel a lot with the LP6TI and P6Pro Ti99. I have started to warm to the N30LE. It is a great DAP and they set the standards for DAPs going forward. It's forcing me to sell my home HIFI gear :wink:
Well N30 AP is my daily driver too. Is it heavy? Yes. But with sound like that, a little bit muscle cramp doesn't matter :joy:

Jan 8, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #2,540 of 2,988
Ok guys, I thought someone might be interested in this. With these settings, the N30 comes very, very close to the DX320Max in terms of crispness, airness and transparency. DX320Max's treble is quantitatively more and qualitatively a bit higher, but N30's treble extends further. N30's note and therefore stage is a little wider, bigger, imaging and instrument positioning better (because of the stage), DX320Max's bass and especially mids are clearer and thinner, stage narrower, the tuning overall a bit colder.

-> High Gain, P Mode, Class AB, Filter: Super Slow (for better microdynamics, that makes the note a little thinner and so for me personally more coherent)

I advise against P+ and Hyper Mode. They bring the mids too forward and cause a disbalance, they are nice for fun but not for critical listening, for me personally.

However, both devices are really great, honestly, even the DX320Max is excellent (usability excluded, which is underneath)!
I agree, I stoped using Hyper Mode and now I only use P Mode, Class AB.
You mention " superslow filter !! where do I can select filters ? Which menu ?

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #2,541 of 2,988
Yes, you can change it in the settings -> audio. For the various filters, please refer to this fantastic explanation; I have dealt with this topic in detail in the past, but no one has explained it this well for me: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-a-ultima-sp3000.965000/page-227#post-17861719 (@IgeNeLL)

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #2,542 of 2,988
It's a fantastic DAP no don't about it and it does sound excellent but I much prefer to use the LPGT Ti for the size/weight, plus it sounds excellent anyways. In fact I haven't used the N30 for over over 3 weeks now. Also, as soon as I list something for sale, I put it all back into its original packaging and don't use it out of respect to the next owner.

I must say one thing that I still find extremely disappointing is the fact that you can't reverse the skip buttons on the side of a $5,000 DAP 🙈

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #2,543 of 2,988
Well switching the buttons is a software feature it could happen if enough people ask for it :)
But someone will be happy to pick yours up when it's listed ❤️‍🔥

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #2,544 of 2,988
The swapable button feature was integrated in FW 1.0 or 1.1 and it was removed in the following FW versions.

Dont know the reason why. Maybe Cayin found out that the feature interfered with other components of the DAP and caused software troubles.

Andy wrote later on that to have swapable buttons they have to solder an extra wire to the unit.
Maybe they found out down the road that whiteout that extra wire, the buttons swap feature could mess up other functions of the DAP.

Tbh, first i hated that the buttons are reversed, but down the road i got used to it and frankly, now i find it handy because having the FF button on the bottom, it is easier to find without looking at the device.

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #2,545 of 2,988
Well switching the buttons is a software feature it could happen if enough people ask for it :)
But someone will be happy to pick yours up when it's listed ❤️‍🔥
I listed it on Thursday past 👍
The swapable button feature was integrated in FW 1.0 or 1.1 and it was removed in the following FW versions.

Dont know the reason why. Maybe Cayin found out that the feature interfered with other components of the DAP and caused software troubles.

Andy wrote later on that to have swapable buttons they have to solder an extra wire to the unit.
Maybe they found out down the road that whiteout that extra wire, the buttons swap feature could mess up other functions of the DAP.

Tbh, first i hated that the buttons are reversed, but down the road i got used to it and frankly, now i find it handy because having the FF button on the bottom, it is easier to find without looking at the device.
I think Andy said that they did not include the wires to allow for reversing the skip buttons.

Jan 8, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #2,546 of 2,988
Yes, you can change it in the settings -> audio. For the various filters, please refer to this fantastic explanation; I have dealt with this topic in detail in the past, but no one has explained it this well for me: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/astell-kern-a-ultima-sp3000.965000/page-227#post-17861719 (@IgeNeLL)
One point to consider about the point source.
When you go from top to bottom the sound image is closer to the point source at the top due to clean edge definition.
While when go down, the image is more expanded and far from the point source. The image can expand more in space but the edge definition is inferior. That could cause bigger, deeper sound stage in some case but the image precision is worse.
The sound signature can varied with device when combining with its circuit but I‘m glad that you can understand what I have written about the filter in different machine. Yep, The filter is Matter.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #2,547 of 2,988
I have similar sharing with my personal friends in this hobby but to a slightly different extent. I suggested "repeatedly" that they should stop using Hyper mode exclusively. I understand Hyper offers the biggest "difference" from their previous DAPs, but the reason why we offered many different combinations of settings/modes is because Cayin didn't believe Hyper is always THE choice for every IEM or scenario.

Stop using Hyper Mode and use Hyper Mode exclusively are like two ends of a pendulum clock. Be water and let the N30LE blend into your music, know the performance and sonic characteristics of your DAP, and pick the combination with an open mind.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #2,548 of 2,988
One point to consider about the point source.
When you go from top to bottom the sound image is closer to the point source at the top due to clean edge definition.
While when go down, the image is more expanded and far from the point source. The image can expand more in space but the edge definition is inferior. That could cause bigger, deeper sound stage in some case but the image precision is worse.
The sound signature can varied with device when combining with its circuit but I‘m glad that you can understand what I have written about the filter in different machine. Yep, The filter is Matter.
The digital filters in AKM chipset have always been a very interesting topic, I believe the Engineers who developed these anti-aliasing filters have nothing to do with the naming of the filters, quite often the explanation from R&D engineers are far too difficult to understand, and communicate in layman terms, so Sales and Marketing team has to develop names and illustration to term the hard science into selling points. So if you make any sense between what you read from the name of the filters to what you heard with your ears, don't be surprised, we have all gone through that stage at some point.

We used to have a lot of discussions on the AKM filters with the "older" DAPs when the DAPs were relatively simple and we didn't have extensive features such as Class A/AB, P/P+, tube/SS, .... , so filters were important features to shape the audio signature of your DAP. For those who want to understand the concept behind the digital filters of the AKM chipset, @docholliday has compared the filters using digital audio reference signals and measured the filters in the studio where he works. He offered the best explanation I have come across. Yes, that was 2017 and the N3 was a $150 DAP based on AK4490. The discussion from Post #3,492 to Post #3,516 and Post #3,623 to Post #3,628 is a good starting point. AKM probably has changed some of the filter settings for different DAC chipsets, but the concepts remain the same IMHO.

Last edited:

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #2,549 of 2,988
The digital filters in AKM chipset have always been a very interesting topic, I believe the Engineers who developed these anti-aliasing filters have nothing to do with the naming of the filters, quite often the explanation from R&D engineers are far too difficult to understand, and communicate in layman terms, so Sales and Marketing team has to develop names and illustration to term the hard science into selling points. So if you make any sense between what you read from the name of the filters to what you heard with your ears, don't be surprised, we have all gone through that stage at some point.

We used to have a lot of discussions on the AKM filters with the "older" DAPs when the DAPs were relatively simple and we didn't have extensive features such as Class A/AB, P/P+, tube/SS, .... , so filters were important features to shape the audio signature of your DAP. For those who want to understand the concept behind the digital filters of the AKM chipset, @docholliday has compared the filters using digital audio reference signals and measured the filters in the studio where he works. He offered the best explanation I have come across. Yes, that was 2017 and the N3 was a $150 DAP based on AK4490. The discussion from Post #3,492 to Post #3,516 and Post #3,623 to Post #3,628 is a good starting point. AKM probably has changed some of the filter settings for different DAC chipsets, but the concepts remain the same IMHO.
The real problem always occurs when the Marketing people also don't know what they are actually supposed to explain to others, because they don't understand it themselves.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #2,550 of 2,988
The real problem always occurs when the Marketing people also don't know what they are actually supposed to explain to others, because they don't understand it themselves.

Fully concurred, :beerchug:

Strictly speaking, I am not a Sales/Marketing person on the team. I try my best to bridge R&D Engineering and users and this role has become my major contribution in the past few years. For example, engineers provided their version of the functional diagram and specification, I spent two weeks redrawing the diagram, making sure I knew what I was drawing, and then 3-4 days to compile the specification. I can start drafting the marketing material based on this basic understanding and spend another two weeks compiling the product page on the Cayin website and the introductory explanations at the beginning of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back