Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Nov 20, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #2,161 of 2,974
Today listening session.

Started at 85% battery and played music till 20% battery.

Despite being a great and enjoy-full listen, but 4:51 hours is clearly not enough playtime for a weekend day.

I know that you can reach 7-8h playtime when charge to 100% and play till battery is dead, but this behavior is not sustainable for battery health and would degrade the battery in no time.

I wish N30 had at least three more hours of playtime left.

You don't need to charge from 20% to 85% in every charge. Lithium battery-like swallow charges, which means you can charge from 20% to 4x% or 5x% and then start to use it until it reaches 20% again. That means you can listen to 4.5 hours continuously, take a ~1-hour break, and then use it for another 3 hours. I guess most users are willing to take a break after a 4.5-hour continuous music session.

Side note #1: 20% to 85% is one of the many recommendations to prolong the battery life, and 10% to 90% is another recommendation, I have seen ridiculous suggestions such as 20% to 50% per charge. We know for sure that partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life, and so does a partial charge, that's why good practice is to avoid discharging your lithium battery too low (e.g. 3.3v) or charging it too high (exceeding 4.2V). I have yet to see reliable statistical evidence that 20% to 85% will deliver more charging cycles than 10% to 90%. You are taking a generalized guideline as a hard fact, sticking with it, and suffering by your belief. My personal practice is to keep the DAP between 20% to 85% in regular use, but I won't hesitate to extend the range to 10%>90% occasionally. These are guidelines for good practice, I don't see them as hard numbers.

Side note #2: Charging while you playback is technically safe, we do recommend against this if you do this too often because charging during playback will increase the temperature of the battery, but it won't cause a significant impact on your battery life if you are only doing this occasionally, especially when you provided decent ventilation to improve the efficient of the heat dispersion of the DAP. I have also noticed some users placed the DAP on top of a metal chuck or heat sink and reported that the DAP would run cool even in extreme conditions. So how often is it occasionally? Sorry, I didn't notice any meaningful statistic figures along this line, but in my previous consultation with users, I normally quoted once in every 5 charging cycles as a safe bet. For the record, if you stick with 20% to 85% charging practice, 5 charging cycles is equivalent to around 8 rounds of charging (7.7 to be exact). YMMV you don't need to treat this as a highly damaging practice.

Side note #3: If battery life is your main concern, maybe you can budget a battery replacement in advance. Just send in your DAP after 4 years of service, your biggest cost will be the shipping cost from your location to Zhuhai and return. Repair service, including but not limited to battery replacement cost is among the lowest you can expect. For the record, we charge US$35 (¥230 RMB to be exact) to replace an N8ii battery, and US$25 (¥160 RMB to be exact) to replace the N6ii battery. Since you only need to send in your DAP without the accessories and original package, the total logistic cost should be .... around $100 (??) Please be reminded that Cayin owns the manufacturing facilities and runs the production in-house, we even wind our own transformers and have a decent battery storage inventory in our own building. When you have the facilities, components, and technicians readily available, the maintenance cost of our DAPs is significantly lower than brands that heavily rely on outsourced manufacturing services

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #2,162 of 2,974
The issue remains regardless of bitrate/frequency, but the whole issue is intermittent. I can be using the dap and it will work normally, but when I switch from one iem to another, or pause the music and come back to it after a few minutes, the slow speed comes back.
I have sent you a PM with the Double Wipe procedure on N30LE. Please drop me a PM after you tested the procedure.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 21, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #2,163 of 2,974
I have sent you a PM with the Double Wipe procedure on N30LE. Please drop me a PM after you tested the procedure.
Thanks @Andykong , followed your instructions and the issue seems to be fixed. Appreciate your support :)

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #2,166 of 2,974
Why did you sell it if I may know? Don't suits your taste or any other reason(s)?
Lot of life stuff at the moment and foreseeable future. Doesn't make sense have a $4999 DAP 😭

It's great though. Beats the M9 Plus before it

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #2,169 of 2,974
Cayin N30LE AP has arrived 😉

Attachments

• PXL_20231121_141234262.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231121_141234262.MP.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Nov 21, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #2,170 of 2,974
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #2,171 of 2,974
Nov 21, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #2,172 of 2,974
I did a recharge, having put like 85% in max battery, but the recharge reached up to 97%. What did I do wrong?

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #2,173 of 2,974
The N30 was on ? The charge limit only works when the device is on.

Nov 21, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #2,175 of 2,974
We can't replicate the low-level ‘warbling’ noise from our N30LEs test units in Zhuhai. We shall widen our test sample later on (we have a big audio show coming up in Guangzhou later this week so we are packed at the moment. I'll put all your key posts here as a note, let's hope the problem gets better after your N30LE has gained more hours.
Much appreciated, and thank you for following up! I am burning in the unit atm, hopefully the situation improves over the next couple of weeks. If not, I can ship it to Zhuhai (via Musicteck) and perhaps Cayin can inspect my unit and see what's going on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back