Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Nov 15, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #2,041 of 2,988
look at this @aaf evo volume at 45. I must be ok at 20-25 then :)). what IEM or HP are you using at 45 volume, @RonaldS86 ?
Holy cow! I am 8-11 on UM MM and Aura and creep only into the 15-20 with the supv3. Now if i'm drinking, all bets are off but i've never even touched 25! =)

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #2,043 of 2,988
I understand your thoughts. I use Airplane Mode my self to shut off processes in the background that supposed to be off but are active.
But these measures dont prevent the bug to show up, because it is also tied to WiFi.

What baffles me is the fact that not everyone here seems to be affected by the Mobile_Radio Bug.

Because I don't consider it a problem. The battery life is good enough for me so I don't care about it. And to be honest I don't understand with your claim that the sound signature is changing according to the firmware update because I don't hear any difference each update or maybe it's just because I rarely change my settings or my ears are not as trained as yours I don't know. My setting is always on H gain, Classic timbre, and Hyper and I can get around 5 - 6 hours play time with that setting at 45 volume and I guess that's normal. I limit my battery charging at 80% btw 😉

☝🏼

Same. I pretty much ignore the app battery use. If I'm getting 6+ hours on Hyper, H gain, Classic Timbre, I'm content.

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #2,044 of 2,988
My setting is always on H gain, Classic timbre, and Hyper and I can get around 5 - 6 hours play time with that setting at 45 volume and I guess that's normal. I limit my battery charging at 80% btw 😉
The difference between 1.3 and 1.2 is not so obvious on Hyper Mode as on P Mode.
It is also not so obvious with inefficient IEM like Jewel as with RN6. Jewel is around 103db and RN6 is around 130db (FIR has never published the sensitivity of RN6, but is expect it to be around 130db.

You need also a reference DAP to examine the differences between firmwares.

As i said, P Mode on 1.3 was meh while on 1.2 it is superb.
1.2 runs also a little bit hotter than 1.3. Means that 1.3 seems to be a little bit castrated on power rails, therefore P Mode is meh and 1.3 runs a little bit cooler than 1.2.

1.3 has also a flaw related to the time domain issues.
It is not always evident, but when it is, then soundstage collapses.
This could be the result because they changed something in 1.3 to fix an issue for the users who were affected by the bug where music was played back in slow-motion. (Maybe related to resampling)

This were my observations.

Mobile _Radio Bug is a well known bug on Android and a battery hog. As i said, it eats up to 10% battery per listening session.

There are other issues that are well known from fw 1.0 that are not addressed by Cayin: Volume Level Issue in the top left corner. When the volume is changed in an app, the volume is not translated in the top left corner.

Fn Key flip Issue. This setting was implemented in 1.1 (i think it was buried in accessibility) and worked perfectly. Was missing in 1.2. Was implemented back in 1.3 but did not work.

This describes the state of Cayin.

Edit: every person is different and has a different mind set. I am a perfectionist. I have bought the N30 because of the reflections made by Cayin to be a TOTL Anniversary DAP. I had expectations. I was totaly happy with the DAP on FW 1.0 as i got it. It had some minor issues (spazzing charging light, etc) which did not bother me that much because audio quality was consistent. This changed with FW 1.1 that was overheating and worsened SQ, which on 1.0 was much better.
FW 1.1 was that moment where i changed my mind regarding Cayin.
I happily pay 5K for a DAP to have the peace of mind that i dont have to bother around with all kinds of firmware related issues.

I have dont given up on Cayin yet. I hope that they can sort it out at the end and deliver a good FW. I stay now on 1.2.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #2,045 of 2,988
The difference between 1.3 and 1.2 is not so obvious on Hyper Mode as on P Mode.
It is also not so obvious with inefficient IEM like Jewel as with RN6. Jewel is around 103db and RN6 is around 130db (FIR has never published the sensitivity of RN6, but is expect it to be around 130db.

You need also a reference DAP to examine the differences between firmwares.

As i said, P Mode on 1.3 was meh while on 1.2 it is superb.
1.2 runs also a little bit hotter than 1.3. Means that 1.3 seems to be a little bit castrated on power rails, therefore P Mode is meh and 1.3 runs a little bit cooler than 1.2.

This were my observations.

Mobile _Radio Bug is a well known bug on Android and a battery hog. As i said, it eats up to 10% battery per listening session.

There are other issues that are well known from fw 1.0 that are not addressed by Cayin: Volume Level Issue in the top left corner. When the volume is changed in an app, the volume is not translated in the top left corner.

Fn Key flip Issue. This setting was implemented in 1.1 (i think it was buried in accessibility) and worked perfectly. Was missing in 1.2. Was implemented back in 1.3 but did not work.

This describes the state of Cayin.
Sounds like selling your N30 would be good option for you.

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,046 of 2,988

But wait a few more weeks if possible, so I can post mine up for sale =)

I have loved my n30le so much since I got it ~1mo ago, that I decided to buy the AP version along with the UM AP's. My regular n30le will be going on the classifieds soon. Huge thanks to Andrew @ MT for fast shipping and customer service.

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #2,047 of 2,988
Nah,
N30 is maybe the best sounding DAP on the market rn, asside from the inconsistency of FW updates, hissing bug, getting hot depending on which FW u use, etc, etc.

I am sorry if you guys get offended by my posts when i am pointing out the issues.

I think its in the best of Cayin to know about and improve.

Even at the cost that you and Andy hate me.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #2,048 of 2,988
What baffles me is the fact that not everyone here seems to be affected by the Mobile_Radio Bug.

I'm "affected" in that it reports (as opposed to actually uses) a bizarrely high proportion of battery usage (279% vs. 2% for the next highest app/service). It is not actually affecting battery life/power consumption to any meaningful degree however (or if it is, the unit is still easily meeting its battery life claims).

I left my N30LE on, after a full charge, for a week or so while I was traveling (didn't meant to, just did). It was at 54% battery this morning, showing 276% battery usage for the Mobile_Radio service vs. 1% for everything else.

I leave WiFi ON and Bluetooth OFF at all times, as I am not interested in micro-managing/constantly fiddling with settings with ANY device.

I started streaming listening, via the Qobuz native app (not Cayin or HiBy Music apps), in my usual Hyper mode, on Medium Gain, Tube:Classic, Volume at 51, using an HD660S2, balanced-out, 4 hours ago and my battery is now at 11%, so about 11% usage per hour. Which is right in line with what I get with IE600, Odin, Utopia or Atrium. Which is right around the battery life claims for the thing.

Temperature at the hottest point on the unit (in its included case) is 102F. On firmware 1.0 that would get up to 116F. Since 1.1 (and I'm on 1.3 now) it's been right around 100F after an hour of play, and stays there.

Measured performance is identical (within the limits of normal run-to-run variations) between all firmware versions, include original and re-biased units. And I don't hear any difference between firmware versions and pre/re-biased units (had both side by side to do comparisons before returning my 2nd unit).

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #2,049 of 2,988
Nah,
N30 is maybe the best sounding DAP on the market rn, asside from the inconsistency of FW updates, hissing bug, getting hot depending on which FW u use, etc, etc.

I am sorry if you guys get offended by my posts when i am pointing out the issues.

I think its in the best of Cayin to know about and improve.

Even at the cost that you and Andy hate me.
Lol why would I hate anyone over audio gear or any gear for that matter. In all reality these are just luxury toys. I could care less. We all different and use gear differently. My N30 put smile on my face every time I turn it on. That being said, I had gear that didn’t work for my use. We all enthusiasts hear and share passion for sound. Would I rather read something productive about settings and implementation. Heck yes. However, you are entitled to your opinion just like I entitled to mine. So please post whatever you feel like. Even based on this forum , most of people here are happy with their N30. If yours give you trouble , I’m sure it’s legit. Seems like N30 brings you quite a bit of frustration and disappointment. That’s why I suggested maybe you should sell it.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #2,050 of 2,988
When I read you, I have mixed feelings about this N30LE...

At first glance, it seems to be the ultimate Dap, and the more I read this thread, the more I get the feeling I shouldn't buy it...

Software issues, battery issues, black background issues... I don't know if it's intentional, or if it's really an unfinished product, but in any case you've managed to cast doubt in my mind.
I'm not a MacGyver, and I don't feel like calling A-team for help...

Basically, you buy a dap to listen to music, plug in your headphones or iems, and basta cosi.
I get the impression that you're focusing on the issues rather than listening to the music...

And it scares me a little, to tell you the truth.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #2,051 of 2,988

At first glance, it seems to be the ultimate Dap, and the more I read this thread, the more I get the feeling I shouldn't buy it...

Software issues, battery issues, black background issues... I don't know if it's intentional, or if it's really an unfinished product, but in any case you've managed to cast doubt in my mind.

Basically, you buy a dap to listen to music, plug in your headphones or iems, and basta cosi.
I get the impression that you're focusing on the issues rather than listening to the music...

We are nit picking at things and the change in sound was a problem with Sony devices too. In all honesty, this has been one of the best DAPS I have used and it will be hard if not impossible to find a better one today.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #2,052 of 2,988
And that’s exactly my experience. I have no battery issues, software issues, nor SQ issues. And those re-biased units should also have no hiss issues.
Precisely

Of course the usual YMMV applies

Nov 15, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #2,053 of 2,988

I have zero issues whatsoever. I know hiss issue was a legit issue which been addressed with rebiased units. I havent tried all daps out there but I do have sp3k and tried Ibasso Max , FiiO etc. N30 is my favorite with SP3K being pretty close 2nd. Maybe I am too casual with gear but I don’t expect ultimate all rounder at that level. IMHO on this premium level gear gets niche and very specific. If you want compact, convenient, robust player then N30 maybe not the right choice. If you want best sound, tube tone harmonics …. then get N30. It will be heavy and massive , won’t have flawless AK UI , will get warm, you would need to be very careful not to drop it. But it will deliver amazing sound experience.

Nov 15, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #2,055 of 2,988

At least you need to demo it first 😉
For software issues it can be solved with FW update, and for battery issues I don't think I experience one just like my previous post.
I admit it has a bumpy launch but I think it's safe to say it's quite stable now. I don't know if there will be another issues later though 🤭
Even if it is, @Andykong is always here to help 💪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back