Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Sep 28, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #1,411 of 2,988
Is anyone in this small & select group in a position to
compare the new Multiverse Mentor Custom vs ODIN Custom and 64Audio FOURTE (most regretfully NOT available as custom )

Thanks & Regards

Urs

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #1,413 of 2,988
Hissing Update

Testing on 4.4 LO / Hyper Mode

1. Jomo Audio Impulse Ti w/ stock cable = hiss

2. Impulse Ti w/ Sonnet of Adam, Orpheus, Stormbreaker, Chiron = no hiss

3. Mezzo (basically just picked something up randomly to test the Impulse Ti stock cable) w/ Impulse Ti stock cable = no hiss

The results are replicable on three separate units (all first batch). I tested this with the owners' N30LE units in the audio shop I usually go to in Hong Kong.

Kind of a bummer since I am considering buying the Impulse Ti. Even if I don't plan on using the stock cable, I am afraid that I will run into hissing with a specific combination in the future.

Will work out the logistics with the audio shop once the holidays are over.

As a side note, @Andykong a quick question - when I send my hissing N30LE back for a replacement, do I receive a unit with the same serial number or do I get a new one? I personally don't mind the number that much but some people might have chosen their serial numbers, and it would be quite annoying if they have to exchange their unit to a new number.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,414 of 2,988
Hissing Update

Testing on 4.4 LO / Hyper Mode

1. Jomo Audio Impulse Ti w/ stock cable = hiss

2. Impulse Ti w/ Sonnet of Adam, Orpheus, Stormbreaker, Chiron = no hiss

3. Mezzo (basically just picked something up randomly to test the Impulse Ti stock cable) w/ Impulse Ti stock cable = no hiss

The results are replicable on three separate units (all first batch). I tested this with the owners' N30LE units in the audio shop I usually go to in Hong Kong.

Kind of a bummer since I am considering buying the Impulse Ti. Even if I don't plan on using the stock cable, I am afraid that I will run into hissing with a specific combination in the future.

Will work out the logistics with the audio shop once the holidays are over.

As a side note, @Andykong a quick question - when I send my hissing N30LE back for a replacement, do I receive a unit with the same serial number or do I get a new one? I personally don't mind the number that much but some people might have chosen their serial numbers, and it would be quite annoying if they have to exchange their unit to a new number.
This may help, I’ve returned my N30LE A P #31 and they’ve made another #31 to replace it.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #1,416 of 2,988
Does N30LE go well with any TOTL iems that we pair it with?
It has taken everything I’ve paired with it to new heights. Although limited gears, 2 sets of iems and 3 sets of earbuds…it’s definitely breathed new life into all of them.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #1,417 of 2,988
Has anybody tried N30LE with 64Audio U18t/A18t and how was the pairing? Does N30LE go well with any TOTL iems that we pair it with?
It has taken everything I’ve paired with it to new heights. Although limited gears, 2 sets of iems and 3 sets of earbuds…it’s definitely breathed new life into all of them.

This has been my recent experience with dusting off my VE EXT and UM Indigo from storage. Excellent synergy with FiR Frontiers – XE6 and RN6.

With N30LE's plethora of sound shaping tools, you could fine tune the IEM pair-up synergy.

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #1,418 of 2,988
With N30LE's plethora of sound shaping tools, you could fine tune the IEM pair-up synergy.
Bingo!! This was my main reason for taking the plunge and selling my beloved LP6 Ti in exchange for the brilliant N30LE and I have zero regrets!!

Edit: Now, if I could only hear every iem I’ve ever owned or demoed on the N30, that would be a dream come true!

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #1,419 of 2,988
I got the Pearl Amber combo, and it sounds impressive.

Today, I tried the 3.5mm term, and it is not working. I connected EA cables and nothing, then the Cayin 3.5mm adapter with the Pearl Amber iems, and I got the same result.
Am I doing something wrong?

Did you solve this problem already? You connected the EA cables and you don't get any sound out of it? The cable is 3.5mm terminated?

I assumed you had removed all other analog output connections already before you inserted the EA cables and the Pearl Amber IEM with 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter to the N30LE?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 30, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #1,420 of 2,988
The stock case is made from a type of leather that if left untreated will be a magnet for stains, discolorations, etc. If you want to protect the leather from this, I highly suggesting conditioning it properly. This will also help those whose cases are too tight, as it will soften the leather up and let it more easily stretch to conform properly. The best way to do this is with a mixture of oils, which you can apply with a soft cloth or Q-tips. There are a lot of leather oils out there, personally I make my own using 50% neatsfoot oil, 25% jojoba oil, and 25% argan oil. You only need a few ounces to last a long long while with this case’s thin leather. ONLY APPLY TO THE EXTERIOR LEATHER!

This WILL darken the leather, and since Cayin chose to edge the leather with a plastic that was color matched to the untreated leather’s the edges WILL look lighter than the leather when you’re done. I’ve attached a picture.

@Andykong i would suggest you guys put more thought into your leather cases in the future. The plastic edging was a poor idea with this type of leather, and is also applied rather sloppily. Also the steel reinforcement strips on the back scratch the titanium player. Definitely not something I’d expect from a $5k luxury item.

You are correct, I have examined the C9, N8ii, N7, and N30LE cases, and noticed that the N30LE metal grill is the only one that will scratch the case when I press a finger on the metal grill. I need to find out whether this is because of the metal grill thickness/strength or because the larger dimension of the N30LE has "softened" the strength of the grill. We adopted this metal grill design for C9, N7, and N8ii and all the rear metal grills of other leather cases won't exhibit this problem.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 30, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #1,421 of 2,988
You are correct, I have examined the C9, N8ii, N7, and N30LE cases, and noticed that the N30LE metal grill is the only one that will scratch the case when I press a finger on the metal grill. I need to find out whether this is because of the metal grill thickness/strength or because the larger dimension of the N30LE has "softened" the strength of the grill. We adopted this metal grill design for C9, N7, and N8ii and all the rear metal grills of other leather cases won't exhibit this problem.
I think part of the issue is that the titanium alloy along with the coating you used is very, very soft. I use my N8ii and C9 without cases, and they don’t scratch easily at all even when in contact with steel or other hard metals. The titanium DAP however is readily scratched by virtually anything that touches it.

Do you know the thickness and type of coating applied, as well as which titanium alloy used?

Sep 30, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #1,422 of 2,988
@Andykong or anyone please: How to turn off the double-tap function (that turns the screen on) in N30LE? I get my device turning on in my pocket constantly. Can't find this anywhere in the settings.

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #1,424 of 2,988
I think part of the issue is that the titanium alloy along with the coating you used is very, very soft. I use my N8ii and C9 without cases, and they don’t scratch easily at all even when in contact with steel or other hard metals. The titanium DAP however is readily scratched by virtually anything that touches it.

Do you know the thickness and type of coating applied, as well as which titanium alloy used?
Not sure if this is helpful for you but both my titanium cased daps, N6ii Ti and RS8, are scuff magnets. If you fidget with the charge cable it will make marks all over the port opening. You could probably scuff it with a strong fingernail. That being said, the marks mostly come off using a slightly damp micro fiber cloth. Unless, of course, they are actual scratches, and I have a few of those too. That powder titanium is really soft. I can't say it's the same material and finish as N30LE but might be a standard grade.

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #1,425 of 2,988
This may help, I’ve returned my N30LE A P #31 and they’ve made another #31 to replace it.
Cool, BTW I am in a dilemma. I just tested the N30LE with my IEMs and my music collection and the amp on it is superb compared to all the DAPs I have tried. I was on the fence about it but now come to the conclusion it's probably worth buying but whether to get the AP version or the normal. I was told the AP version sound is more defined. I am on the brink of buying the AP version since I found a source with one left. What's your opinion on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back