Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Sep 12, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #736 of 2,940
Got my unit today (long story) also.

No issues for the first few hours (sounds magnificent, looks better in person).

Then, all of a sudden, distinct hiss in the left channel - audible over the music that was playing (and for about 5 seconds afterwards if I paused playback).

That was in low gain, P, class A, classic tube mode and was present regardless of playing from TIDAL, Qobuz and local files (SD card) via the Cayin app. Was still present, at the same level in modern tube and solid-state modes. Switching to class AB lessened it (more static than hiss) and moved it to the right channel.

Powered off, let the unit cool for 20 minutes or so, powered-on and so far no hiss.

Might be software? Might be thermal? Unit was playing in its case and running over 105F measured from the screen.

Not encouraging ... definitely keeping an eye/ear on it.
And ... the hiss/static is back ...

Removed the unit from its case. Temperature is back up to 111F (measured with my IR wine thermometer, so not the most accurate instrument - but the best I have to hand since I am traveling). If it is a thermal issue then it's basically borked - the only lower-power mode would be class AB and it does it there too once it starts.

Don't think it's software, as it continues until the amp powers off after stopping playback (about 5 seconds).

Still present with WiFi turned off.

If it was cable-related, it wouldn't be intermittent (could be an issue for anyone experiencing it from cold).

Not good.

Not sure what an acceptable remedy will be absent an immediate unit replacement; highly disinclined to wait an indeterminate amount of time for diagnoses, repair and a whole lot of shipping nonsense on a buggered-on-day-one unit.
Tested again in purely solid-state mode (i.e. tubes not engaged at all after a power-cycle and cool down). The hiss/static still shows up, at a slightly lower level (still audible while playing music) - after about the same amount of playtime/unit temperature.

I'm not convinced it is a thermal issue: correlation != causation - but it is interesting that it only seems to occur over 100F. Once it starts, though, it doesn't stop just because the unit cools down a bit - has to have a power-cycle on it too.

I didn't find any evidence metal specs anywhere, including in the sockets. Can't test the line-out at the moment.

Going to give it one more try and see if anything changes (e.g. level of the hiss reduces, or doesn't show up again at all), and if not I guess it'll have to be replaced.

This is new to us. Just to summarise your observation, the noise pattern is triggered by a thermal condition, and it can only be resolved by powering off and on again, idling the DAP to lower down the temperature will not solve the problem. We haven't received similar complaints from other N30LE or N8ii users so far.

I can't determine whether this is a hardware or software-related problem at this stage. I have several questions that can help us to narrow down the problems. If we can confirm that the problem is software-related, then we should be able to resolve the problem without going through the logistic hazel.

(1) You mentioned Class A in your description, what about Class AB? Set the player to Class AB with P+ mode, the player should reach 100/110F like Class A with P mode.

(2) Are you using 4.4mm phone output exclusively? or 3.5mm? Have you compared 3.5mm vs 4.4mm PO? Assuming you are using a 4.4mm phone output when you encounter the noise problem, if you switch to a 3.5mm earphone, will it display a similar noise problem?

(3) What are the earphones/headphones involved when you hear the noise? Have you tried multiple earphone and headphone and the noise are less prominent or only show up with one or two earphone/headphones? If that is the case, I need to collect your earphone/headphone list and try to correlate the noise problem with the impedance and sensitivity loading.

(4) I need to pull out the QA record of your DAP, I'll drop you a PM to collect your DAP and dealer information.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 12, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #737 of 2,940
Announcement of N30LE Firmware V1.1

1694572216353.png

New Functions and System Optimisation

1. Rectify the Status bar error that displays the vacuum tube and solid state icon concurrently when Tube Timber is selected
  2. Power off the vacuum tubes when the DAP is in digital output status
  3. Rectify the Task Manager problem where applications continue to run in the background after being cleared from the multitasking bar.
  4. Modify the selected User Interface
  5. Other bug fixes and system optimization.
Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N30LE as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through OTA or local updates. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center of our official website, https://en.cayin.cn/

Attention
  • Please make sure the DAP has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your DAP has more than 1GB of storage before the firmware update.
  • Do not operate the device during a firmware update.
  • Please delete the firmware file from the TF card or internal storage after you have completed the firmware update process

OTA Update Procedures
  1. Connect the N30LE to the internet via Wi-Fi.
  2. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “System Update”.
  3. Press “check version”, the system will check for new firmware.
  4. Press “Download” when your DAP detects a new firmware. The N30LE operating system will download the new firmware as instructed.
  5. Press “Install now” after the firmware is successfully downloaded.
  6. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin official website (en.cayin.cn), you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N30LE_XXXX.zip which is used for N30LE firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of N30LE internal memory or the root directory of the TF card, and insert the TF card into N30LE before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “System Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, and then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #738 of 2,940
Ok, now I’m having charging issues… when I plug the charging cable in, I get the message saying “connected, not charging”. The red LED around the volume knob is not turning red anymore. When I turn it off, it charges eventually. I tried several different charging cables and outlets. @Andykong any idea what is happening here?

Connected but not charging is standard feedback when you have set your maximum battery charging limit and your current battery capacity has met the condition already.

I have encountered a similar problem with N8ii and N7 when the player is new out of the box. I normally set the charging limit to 85% but the player won't charge even when the battery reading is 80, or it will enter pulse charging mode and charge at a very low rate. The problem normally will self-rectified after several charging cycles, when the built-in Battery Coulometer has optimized its battery capacity estimation after charging the battery several cycles.

I believe you are running into a similar problem because you can charge your DAP after powering off (i.e., when you disabled the maximum battery charging limit setting). Care to tell me the battery reading and maximum battery charge limit of your N30LE when you encounter this problem?

We have issued a v1.1 firmware update for N30LE, It comes with various system optimizations and normally in the first two rounds of firmware update, charging and power management will be optimized as well. The v1.0 firmware was coded BEFORE we started our mass production. We have to in order to have workable firmware for the DAP when it rolls out from the production line. The charging and power management routine of v1.0 firmware were coded according to the data provided by the Lithium battery manufacturer. We'll collect more data during the QA process of the mass production batch, and that will help us optimize these software routines in the first one or two firmware updates. The problem might be improved or even solved after the firmware update.

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #739 of 2,940
It seems Andy is being busy handling complaints from their local market too? Still no response from him regarding all these issues 🤷🏼‍♂️

I am not involved with after-sales support to the local market, in fact, I tried to reduce my involvement in the product support role and leave that to Cayin's local dealer and/or our service team at service@cayin.cn. Cayin has built up its Personal Audio product line extensively over the years, the support role is too big for anyone even when treating it as a full-time job. I'll become the bottleneck of the system at no time.
Yes, I was occupied. The first firmware update of a new product is always tricky, it will be a lot more efficient after we go through the cycle one or two times. :beerchug:

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #740 of 2,940
Connected but not charging is standard feedback when you have set your maximum battery charging limit and your current battery capacity has met the condition already.

I have encountered a similar problem with N8ii and N7 when the player is new out of the box. I normally set the charging limit to 85% but the player won't charge even when the battery reading is 80, or it will enter pulse charging mode and charge at a very low rate. The problem normally will self-rectified after several charging cycles, when the built-in Battery Coulometer has optimized its battery capacity estimation after charging the battery several cycles.

I believe you are running into a similar problem because you can charge your DAP after powering off (i.e., when you disabled the maximum battery charging limit setting). Care to tell me the battery reading and maximum battery charge limit of your N30LE when you encounter this problem?

We have issued a v1.1 firmware update for N30LE, It comes with various system optimizations and normally in the first two rounds of firmware update, charging and power management will be optimized as well. The v1.0 firmware was coded BEFORE we started our mass production. We have to in order to have workable firmware for the DAP when it rolls out from the production line. The charging and power management routine of v1.0 firmware were coded according to the data provided by the Lithium battery manufacturer. We'll collect more data during the QA process of the mass production batch, and that will help us optimize these software routines in the first one or two firmware updates. The problem might be improved or even solved after the firmware update.
Thank you for the reply Andy! Answering to your question, I’ve set the maximum charge to 95% but the unit was at 45% charge. When I powered off it was also unstable - I was trying to plug and unplug the charger many times until it started to show the charging icon in the screen. Then the red LED indicator was blinking very inconsistently instead of pulsing as it does during normal charging routine.

I will update the system with the new fw and will report back as soon as I will be able to test.

Thank you!

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #741 of 2,940
Alright so on a hunch I decided to grab a couple of pipe cleaners and gently clean my 4.4mm and 3.5mm headphone outs. Lo and behold, tiny little specks of metal dust. Can’t get a good picture, but after washing them out of my jacks I get zero hiss.

Unsure where it would’ve come from. But my problem appears solved.

I hope this will rectify your problem permanently. I have run into a similar problem previously (with another DAP), but only with a specific cable, so I clean the cable connector and solved the problem. If you run into a similar problem with several cables at the same time, it is a bit odd. There is a chance that the phone out sockets were the source of contamination. Maybe you can clean up the sockets as well, You can do that with a roll-up alcohol pad, just make sure the DAP is powered off and let it stay off for a while until the alcohol is completely vaporized. Maybe do this before you go to bed when the player can left aside for several hours.

Last edited:

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #743 of 2,940
I hope this will rectify your problem permanently. I have run into a similar problem previously, but only with a specific cable. If you run into a similar problem with several cables at the same time, it is a bit odd. There is a chance that the phone out sockets were the source of contamination. Maybe you can clean up the sockets as well, You can do that with a roll-up alcohol pad, just make sure the DAP is powered off and let it stay off for a while until the alcohol is completely vaporized. Maybe do this before you go to bed when the player can left aside for several hours.
That’s exactly what I did, just with a soft pipe cleaner instead of a rolled up alcohol pad. I used 99%, which evaporates almost instantly, so I didn’t have to leave it off for long. No problems since.

Out of curiosity, which cable did you have problems with?

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #744 of 2,940
Thank you for the reply Andy! Answering to your question, I’ve set the maximum charge to 95% but the unit was at 45% charge. When I powered off it was also unstable - I was trying to plug and unplug the charger many times until it started to show the charging icon in the screen. Then the red LED indicator was blinking very inconsistently instead of pulsing as it does during normal charging routine.

I will update the system with the new fw and will report back as soon as I will be able to test.

Thank you!
This can happen if you are listening to the player and charging at the same time

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #745 of 2,940
@Andykong some minor bugfixes:
The battery percentage is barely readable. Can you please enlarge the font size on the next update.
Battery charge limit is also not working when device is off. It charges the battery to max while i set it to 80%. 🙏
That’s the default Android “off state” charging icon. Both your issues will be resolved if you charge it while turned on.
Yeh, i know that. The problem is that i am coming from iBasso to Cayn and iBasso has a readable font size and charging limits are working properly while the device is off. And this is the reason why i formed this habit to charge the battery while the device is off.

it is quite convenient to not power on the device everytime i want to charge it and power it off again when it is finished charging.

You just plug and unplug the USB-C cable and your'e done.

I'll check with engineers to see if this is workable. Last I checked in 2022, they said those default Android icons/operation constraints can only be reprogrammed when we have "another" OS in place that will take over DAP when the player is powered off. Since Cayin didn't implement dual boot in our Android DAPs, this was not feasible. I can check if the latest Android will allow more programming flexibility at power off status.

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #746 of 2,940

I have to say that the shell is beautiful indeed 😍
Usually when new TOTLs are received, the first thing you read is how awesome they are - no wait: "like The Bird, but much better", "like a 2 speaker system", "out of the head experience".

And you instead write how beautiful it is, and you go to such lengths for these (admittedly really, really nice) photos.

Something is wrong here :)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #747 of 2,940
I'll check with engineers to see if this is workable. Last I checked in 2022, they said those default Android icons/operation constraints can only be reprogrammed when we have "another" OS in place that will take over DAP when the player is powered off. Since Cayin didn't implement dual boot in our Android DAPs, this was not feasible. I can check if the latest Android will allow more programming flexibility at power off status.
Can you also ask for a volume lock option in the pull down? The volume knob is just too easy to bump.

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #748 of 2,940
For anyone else that has their N30, is your case a little too tight around the FF button? If I barely touch that button with the case on it’ll skip to the next track. It makes removing it from my pockets with the buttons unlocked very difficult without changing what I’m listening to. I don’t recall having this issue with the demo unit/case so maybe it just needs to break in a little. The DAP buttons themselves are fine and feel tactile.

Looks like you have a tighter case than mine. The N30LE leather case was hand-made in China, and it does have a larger "range" of conformation when compared to machine-made leather cases. Hopefully, the leather case will stretch over time and the FF button will have enough room to breathe with the leather case.

One temporary solution is to disable the Play/Next/Prev buttons when the screen is dark (locked), you can access these settings at Setup >Security > Lockscreen button settings.

Sep 13, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #749 of 2,940
Usually when new TOTLs are received, the first thing you read is how awesome they are - no wait: "like The Bird, but much better", "like a 2 speaker system", "out of the head experience".

And you instead write how beautiful it is, and you go to such lengths for these (admittedly really nice) photos.

Sometime here is not right :)
It's a photo from my dealer because the DAP and the IEM goes separate ways, haha. And yes I have to say it because last time I see IEM from UM (UM MM in this case but I only see the photo not the actual thing) the finishing is not good for the price range (The faceplate and excess glue). But on this one they deliver 👍

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #750 of 2,940
That’s exactly what I did, just with a soft pipe cleaner instead of a rolled up alcohol pad. I used 99%, which evaporates almost instantly, so I didn’t have to leave it off for long. No problems since.

Out of curiosity, which cable did you have problems with?

Glad to know the problem is solved.

It was the cable I received from UM with Mest 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back