Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 13, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #1,816 of 6,262
Hmmm, buzzing/humming doesn't right. A ground problem perhaps, or do you think it's just the noise floor you're hearing? Are you only hearing it at low/no volume? What about if you plug them into the LO jack?

I think it's just the noise floor, since I can't hear it on some of my other iems. But it's not a nice sound. I can turn the volume all the way down and still hear the hiss at the same level.

May 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #1,817 of 6,262
I think a lot of this dependency has to do with your headphones and how they scale up with more power. On a scale of many of mine c/iems (I'm not a full size cans guy), sometimes it's hard to tell N3 and i5 apart. N3 vs N5 difference is similar to i5 vs N5, imho.

Just to clarify for people, I'm not claiming dramatic differences. There's a lot of shared character with N3 vs i5. I do hear subtle differences, though. Less than I'd expect, so Cayin has done a great job with N3 given the price!

May 14, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #1,818 of 6,262
Hi guys,

Newbie to the forum and just bought my first non apple DAP in the Cayin N3 after the glowing reviews! The player seemingly sounds great, but running into a few issues, and need some help:
  • Lots of syncing music problems: When I add music to the SD card, it never shows on 'TF Card' automatically or even after a few minutes. I use 'Update the music player' and this never works straight away either, it fails to find the new music and only after some time passes, possibly 5 mins or a reset does the N3 finally see the new tracks. Sometimes synced playlists will first say 'empty' even though the music is on the SD Card, to only somehow later work okay. This is all after I have removed the device from my PC and the cable. Possible my device is faulty? The SD card is definitely not the issue, as it works perfectly on my PC.
  • No Playlists showing in 'Music Category' (.M3U): None of my playlists which I can access from 'TF card' show under playlists in the 'Music Category' even after 'Update the music player' has worked. Artist, Songs etc update but playlist remains empty.
  • Remove file type information from menus: Likely due to over 15 years of Apple devices, but finding all the file type information with in the DAP irritating. (.m3u listed after playlists, music file type for each etc) is there anyway to remove? Same case for extra information which is seemingly added unnecessarily, such as after I enter a playlist each song has the name of the playlist that I have just entered into appended into the front of each song title...
  • Software for managing music / syncing iTunes music and playlists to SD cards: What software (for Mac) can I use as a bridge to sync music from iTunes to SD cards? I have tried iSyncer and found atleast the trial version not very good. I want to have all my playlists organised in the same folders and sub folders I have set up on iTunes. I'd really prefer to use iTunes so I can also update music on my iphone easily, but if their is a recommended application I could use to better manage please let me know.

Also having a hard time working out what stuff in the settings actually do or best use for (folder operation anyone?) Tried searching for info on the OS but cannot find a doc outlining what all the settings mean. Anyone can share/ have any links?

Much appreciated

May 14, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #1,819 of 6,262
@Omoshai - First-time shock is common when transitioning from iDevice to audiophile DAPs. We've all been there. Just try to be patient, and we'll help you out. The first thing you've got to do is let go of the "iTunes manages my music for me" mindset and shift to an "I manage my music myself" mindset. That helps a lot.

To accomplish that, you can simply drag and drop music out of your iTunes library folder onto the mSD card. I think they're in iTunes Library > Media > Music. iTunes is crazy with how it's handled tagging and artwork over time, so be prepared due a lot of inconsistencies. What I've done is to completely abandon iTunes on favor of completely managing my music collection myself. I rip CDs with XLD, tag / organize with
Metadatics, and manually copy over to my mSD cards for complete control of organization, file hierarchy, etc.

And I (amongst others) can help you with settings. Feel free to ask. Good luck on your journey!

May 14, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #1,821 of 6,262
New N3 coming this week. Need to prep a sd card. Do I just use it out of the box or does it need reformatting (Sandisk Ultra 200gb)?

Are there any best practices for loading files on the card (folder/file hierarchy, file naming, etc)?

Busy now, but I'll try to get back to you later with my preferred organization method.

May 14, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #1,822 of 6,262
Hi guys,

Newbie to the forum and just bought my first non apple DAP in the Cayin N3 after the glowing reviews! The player seemingly sounds great, but running into a few issues, and need some help:
  • Software for managing music / syncing iTunes music and playlists to SD cards: What software (for Mac) can I use as a bridge to sync music from iTunes to SD cards? I have tried iSyncer and found atleast the trial version not very good. I want to have all my playlists organised in the same folders and sub folders I have set up on iTunes. I'd really prefer to use iTunes so I can also update music on my iphone easily, but if their is a recommended application I could use to better manage please let me know.
Also having a hard time working out what stuff in the settings actually do or best use for (folder operation anyone?) Tried searching for info on the OS but cannot find a doc outlining what all the settings mean. Anyone can share/ have any links?

Much appreciated

@Omoshai, I can understand pretty well your frustration about iTunes and DAPs. As @nmatheis suggests, there is a big difference between an iPod and these DAPs regarding especially playlists.
A software can help you a lot is Dapper (from Map Pin), which is born exactly for helping an iTunes user to get the music she/he wants on the mSD cards, ready to be used on the DAPs.
Good luck!

May 14, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,823 of 6,262
New N3 coming this week. Need to prep a sd card. Do I just use it out of the box or does it need reformatting (Sandisk Ultra 200gb)?

Are there any best practices for loading files on the card (folder/file hierarchy, file naming, etc)?

For all of my DAPs with Screens, I copy this Folder & File structure from my PC to the DAPs:

\ Music = Folder at the root of the card
\ Music \ [ Genre | Playlists ] = Folders for Genre of the music ("Big Band", "Celtic", "Classical", "Country", etc.), or where I place externally created Playlists
\ Music \ [ Genre | Playlists ] \ [ _Various | Album-Artist-Last-Name, Album-Artist-First-Name ] = Folders for Compilations, or Album Artists (sorted by Last Name)
\ Music \ [ Genre | Playlists ] \ [ _Various | Album-Artist-Last-Name, Album-Artist-First-Name ] \ [ Date ] - [ Album-Title ] = Folder for Album Title and Date of release
\ Music \ [ Genre | Playlists ] \ [ _Various | Album-Artist-Last-Name, Album-Artist-First-Name ] \ [ Date ] - [ Album-Title ] \ [ Disc# ]-[ Track# ] [ Track-Title ] [ [Track-Artist-Name(s)] ] = Disc Number & Track Number, Track Title, and [Track Artist Name(s)] (this displays on the DAP screen)

For instance:
\Music\Big Band\_Various\1994 - Big Band's Greatest Hits (Vol 2)\1-04 Christopher Columbus [Kirk^Twelve Clouds of Joy].flac (multiple track artists)
\Music\Big Band\_Various\1994 - Big Band's Greatest Hits (Vol 2)\1-06 Jumpin' at the Woodside [Basie, Count].flac (single track artist)
\Music\RenFaire\Phyfe, Owain\1999 - Poets, Bards, and Singers of Song\1-06 L'Amor Dona Ch'io Te Porto [Phyfe, Owain].flac

I did have to do a bit of fiddling with Tag creation feature within JRiver Media Center 22, to get the Track-Artist-Name the way I wanted it for use in the filename.
Unfortunately, the Artist database routines in MC22 and the DAPs, aren't able to differentiate and separately list multiple artists for a single track.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #1,824 of 6,262

OK. I've got a couple minutes. Unless you are transferring ginormous DSD size files, I'd stick with FAT32. In my experience, it's the most stable file format across all the DAPs I use.

For file format, I use the same file hierarchy for all my cards. Here's an example...

A-C / Beatles / 1970 - Let It Be / 01 Two Of Us

That works really well for me. In fact, I often completely skip scanning my mSD cards into the DAP's database because I can browse through music so quickly with the DAP's file browser functionality. If you organize to fit your needs, I'm sure it will help you browse your music collection quickly, too. For example, some people prefer to add a top-level folder for Genre.

@Omoshai, I can understand pretty well your frustration about iTunes and DAPs. As @nmatheis suggests, there is a big difference between an iPod and these DAPs regarding especially playlists.
A software can help you a lot is Dapper (from Map Pin), which is born exactly for helping an iTunes user to get the music she/he wants on the mSD cards, ready to be used on the DAPs.
Good luck!

Oh yeah, that's a good piece of software to look into. I wouldn't use it, but it would definitely make life easier for a new DAP user.

May 14, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #1,825 of 6,262
@Omoshai - First-time shock is common when transitioning from iDevice to audiophile DAPs. We've all been there. Just try to be patient, and we'll help you out. The first thing you've got to do is let go of the "iTunes manages my music for me" mindset and shift to an "I manage my music myself" mindset. That helps a lot.

To accomplish that, you can simply drag and drop music out of your iTunes library folder onto the mSD card. I think they're in iTunes Library > Media > Music. iTunes is crazy with how it's handled tagging and artwork over time, so be prepared due a lot of inconsistencies. What I've done is to completely abandon iTunes on favor of completely managing my music collection myself. I rip CDs with XLD, tag / organize with
Metadatics, and manually copy over to my mSD cards for complete control of organization, file hierarchy, etc.

And I (amongst others) can help you with settings. Feel free to ask. Good luck on your journey!
Hi guys,

Much appreciated

Not sure if you guy feel like some experimentation, but you might wanna look at this: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17074.0

I haven't had much luck getting Musicbee to run under wine on Linux, but sounds like it does better on Mac OS. Musicbee is a fantastic program <shameless plug:ksc75smile:> and does an excellent job syncing to a mSD

May 15, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #1,828 of 6,262
@Mr Trev @nmatheis @deltabi Thanks a lot guys for the responses - It really is a shock and confusing trying to transition, it's quite hard to appreciate how 'different' the ecosystem works and how more manual everything is. Certainly will persevere however for a better music experience.

Downloaded Dapper trial and its worked great! solved the issues I have seemingly getting the N3 to 'sync' first time. Will certainly try Musicbee and Metadatics after work also as the non trial version price of Dapper seems crazy at £20 :fearful:

My biggest issue now is Playlist's. I created a Playlist folder using Dapper, and though my iTunes built playlists show correctly on the N3, when I try to play a song I now get 'Play Failed. No File!' error, even though the music has synced fine.

How does everyone create playlists from a computer (preferably mac perspective...) and get them successfully to these DAP'S?

May 15, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #1,829 of 6,262
@Mr Trev @nmatheis @deltabi Thanks a lot guys for the responses - It really is a shock and confusing trying to transition, it's quite hard to appreciate how 'different' the ecosystem works and how more manual everything is. Certainly will persevere however for a better music experience.

Downloaded Dapper trial and its worked great! solved the issues I have seemingly getting the N3 to 'sync' first time. Will certainly try Musicbee and Metadatics after work also as the non trial version price of Dapper seems crazy at £20 :fearful:

My biggest issue now is Playlist's. I created a Playlist folder using Dapper, and though my iTunes built playlists show correctly on the N3, when I try to play a song I now get 'Play Failed. No File!' error, even though the music has synced fine.

How does everyone create playlists from a computer (preferably mac perspective...) and get them successfully to these DAP'S?

@Omoshai. Welcome to Head-Fi. What you're going to find is that everyone here pretty much listens to music in a unique way compared to others. I think that I have a good understanding of your challenges ahead.

I have to apologize for the length of this post. For most this will be TLDR

First, to answer your question about no file. I believe the issue is that playlists are like a table of contents and the music file is your content or chapter. The playlist is trying to direct the player to the location of your file. So you need to make sure that the playlist is pointing to the correct directory location of your file, and that the file has actually been copied there. The Apple Eco system does a great job of creating your playlists, and then copying your files over for you and you just play.

To do the same thing in an audiophile DAP, you have to carefully create your directory structure, have your playlists in the correct directory location for the DAP to read, have the Playlist files formatted correctly to point where your music files are, have the music directories formatted correctly to where the playlist is pointing, and have the file named correctly and in the correct location. (Anyone who uses playlists feel free to correct anything that I've said incorrectly.)

Unfortunately, I can't help you any farther than this. As I don't use playlists on my audiophile DAPs. Here is the unique way that I listen to MY music.
1. 320CBR MP3>Normalized to 90dB with MP3 Gain program>Itunes 10.x>Smart Playlist>Ipod Nano 16G>LOD>RaySamuels Intruder amp>Trinity Audio Delta VII iem with gunmetal filters>Trinity Kombi tips>my ears. :)
2. FLAC Files>MicroSD card>iBasso DX50>multiple different amps>multiple different headphones and iem.

Also. I'm on Windows platform, so some of the programs I have may not be usable on MAC.

1. Apple Hostage situation.
As you can see, I am held hostage by my use of playlists and Apple. Through the years, I have rated each and every one of my 35,000+ songs from 1 to 5 stars. I create smart playlists that select my favorite music and ensure that I haven't heard it in a long time. For example, for the Nano, I will create a 200 song playlist. I will have iTunes randomly choose 75 5star songs that I haven't heard in 3 months or more, 75 4star songs that I haven't heard in 6 months or more, and 50 3star songs that I haven't heard in a year or more. As I listen to the songs, the date/time played will update, and it will fall off the playlist and new ones will be added. I love hearing my favorite songs this way and never know what is coming up next. Also all my MP3s are normalized with "MP3 Gain" program at 90dB so that I don't get extreme changes in volume by switching between the different songs.

Unfortunately Apple is driving me farther and farther away. I use an ipod Nano 6G with the 30 pin dock. My itunes is frozen in time at 10.x. My aftermarket equipment is 30 pin docks. In fact, I just cracked the screen on my Nano 6G two week ago and had to venture onto ebay to get a replacement because I'm not willing to move to the Lightning system. I'm going to try to get another nano 6G or two and to fix the one I have. That way I should be covered for a while with my itunes listening equipiment.

2. Audiophile listening experience
The other way I listen is with FLAC lossless files. For ripping FLAC files (and also for ripping into iTunes), I use the program "dB Power Amp". I rip to FLAC level 5 and have it evaluated for "replay gain" and embed that information into the files. I pretty much just rip these to a FLAC directory structure that mirrors how iTunes is set up. I have a 2TB hard drive with :\\FLAC\Artists\Albums\01...file. Very similar to what Nick Matheis showed you above. After I rip in FLAC, I use the dB Power Amp function to convert those to MP3 320CBR and import those into iTunes. I essentially have a huge database of 35,000+ MP3s, and I'm slowly ripping my favorites to FLAC and anything new I purchase is ripped to FLAC.

For listening to my flac files, I hook my DAP up to one of my many different amps via line out. I have a Ray Samuels Intruder amp which has balanced output or single end output. I have a Peachtree Audio Decco 65 desktop amp with a coaxial input, and a Unison research SH class A tube amp with line input. I also have a few other portable amps but I mainly use one of the three above.

When I listen to the FLAC files, it is more like when I was a kid growing up and I will choose what album I want to listen to, and listen to the entire album all the way through. Also, the DAP I have at this time, (Ibasso DX50) does not currently have replay gain functionality. So any kind of random or playlist functionality would have large swings in volume. Which I hate. I'm excited to see that the N3 will have replay gain. I've embedded all my FLAC files with replaygain info, but have never gotten the chance to try to use it.

So as you can see, my audiophile listening is more geared to artistic album pursuits, and my casual listening is apple playlists.

I honestly don't know what I will have to do when the apple platform forces me off of the ancient 30 pin equipment. Guess I will have to leave apple behind at that point and change how I listen to music.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I do understand your challenges, and wish you the best with the way that YOU listen to your music. Let me know if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back